Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Marlin 1895 not feeding smoothly

Marlin 1895 not feeding smoothly

I have a '79 Marlin 1895 that I cannot seem to get to feed smoothly. Three different cast projectiles at various lengths with no success.

What it does:
    When the cartridge is moving forward, it stops at about the point where the rim reaches the front of the wide part of the ejection port. I tried to put a picture of this stopping point in a link, but it may not show.

http://s409.photobucket.com/user/cor..._1452.jpg.html

It appears the case head is not sliding up the bolt face like it should.

The rim stops at the bottom edge of the extractor and will not slide under the claw or spring the extractor to the side so that the rim can continue up the bolt face.

If you double stroke the lever, the elevator will move the cartridge up enough that when the bolt face comes forward again the rim is high enough to be in front of the extractor. The cartridge is then moved forward by the extractor which will snap over the rim as the bolt closed completely.

I do not want to get too far into the weeds but, the other thing that I thought of is that maybe the barrel ramp may be too sharp on the bottom??? Maybe it needs a tiny radius just to break the sharp edge? I hesitate to go there.
    Surely it has not been hard to cycle for it's whole life. On the other hand, maybe that is why I have it instead of the previous owners.

Any ideas???

Boolit Master
    I would suggest at a minimum performing a couple of the slick them up modifications. Remove extractor and radius inboard bottom lip and light polish (just edge break) to the remaining edges. Tension can also play into feeding, maybe a slight softening outboard will also help. Also look at cycled brass, if longitudinal scratches found almost length a polish of lower chamber edge (feed ramp) may be needed to ease case damage. You see the angle of brass in receiver now? Remove bolt and try rolling a case rim up into it and you will feel/see I bet. There is a bunch of really pretty easy to do slick'em ups that can really change the feel of cycle. Google is your friend, the Marlin Owners website has a whole section devoted to this subject. Just feel blessed your S/N is not on the left hand side of receiver!
    (forgot to ask, 33,35 or 36 wing tip in that picture?)

Hey there corbinace -- You might be able to solve your problem without removing the extractor. The case head is probably not getting under the extractor claw. Use a flat tip screwdriver and gently bend the extractor out just a little. Easy does it, and it might take a couple tries. If you over bend the extractor, then you can take it out and bend it back. Good luck. Best regards. Wind

Are you operating the action briskly or just slowly working the lever? Mine tends to hang up when working the lever slowly.

Boolit Master

Is it with just one lot or brand of brass. If so, perhaps the brass is the culprit. Probably not, but a thought.

Also, did this just start happening or has it been the case since you bought the rifle?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Great stuff guys!!!!

Last to first; Yes, this is with both brisk and gentle operation. Having shot Cowboy action, brisk was the first mode.

Wind, your fix falls under the general Slick 'em up that was mentioned by Gtek, I will get on it.

Gtek, N4619D is a G35, that is half of a pair of Osbornes in the foreground of my buddies 172. Good eye.

There are longitudinal scratches on the brass, some coming from the forward inside edge of the feed gate and likely some as you say, from the feed ramp. The extractor is in pristine condition, and will have to get a bit of the blue knocked off of it, in accordance with the Marlin Owners guidance pointed out.

Hand me that stone, please.

Thank you gentlemen, for your excellent guidance.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Is it with just one lot or brand of brass. If so, perhaps the brass is the culprit. Probably not, but a thought.

Also, did this just start happening or has it been the case since you bought the rifle?
    It takes me a long time to type and my Coastal neighbor was responding while I was responding.

For brass, I only used W-W, Starline and the Hornady mini-brass.

I have only had the rifle for a short time and it came to me that way.

Thanks for the input, Tim.