Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Buddy

Setting up a second Star off the side of the indoor winter bench to run PC boolits through. No heater needed on an empty lubesizer. Pull the pump linkage bar and I should be good to go... I think.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Moderator Emeritus

The Pot is being fired up with COWW alloy and the hotplate/oven has the Lee 358125 RF for the LAST batch for my 9mm project. The first two batches yielded about 1400(includes some leftovers from a batch long long ago), so I don't need to make a giant pile today, to get to 1500+.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post

Setting up a second Star off the side of the indoor winter bench to run PC boolits through. No heater needed on an empty lubesizer. Pull the pump linkage bar and I should be good to go... I think.
    WOW, it's seems a waste to use a star for what a inverted reloading press can do, but I bet you have your reasons...maybe a bullet feeder?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Loaded up some more Lee 358-125RF in .38Spl.
    Gotta use up this bottle of Trap 100 from 1989 so I can get it off the shelf and go on to something else.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    WOW, it's seems a waste to use a star...
    Well... it could just sit in storage I suppose. But I really only PC .30 cal bullets for 300AAC and cast a ton in advance. I tend to size what I need when I need them and those still unsized stack up on the shelves gaining BHN every day. But with the second Star set up I can walk up and do a bunch up while on a call or whenever. Hoping that's the ticket to clearing the backlog of cast .30s. Besides, I have no interest in inverting one of my 550s. Then I'd have to stand on my head to use it, it would bend my hat, my hair messes easily, and...it's just wrong.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=therealhitman;3831164Besides, I have no interest in inverting one of my 550s. Then I'd have to stand on my head to use it, it would bend my hat, my hair messes easily, and...it's just wrong.[/QUOTE]

That's why it's always nice to have an old single stage press around.

I have an old RCBS single stage press that is mounted on a long 2x6 that slides in a slot on my reloading bench so that I can mount it normally or inverted, depending upon what I need to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    That's why it's always nice to have an old single stage press around.

I have an old RCBS single stage press that is mounted on a long 2x6 that slides in a slot on my reloading bench so that I can mount it normally or inverted, depending upon what I need to do.
    I like that idea. Every time I acquire a single stage in reloader's estate lot at auction I eventually wind up giving them away to get somebody started in the hobby. I should hang on to the next one for future consideration, and I could also chuck the hardness tester in it out in the shop rather than just attic pile it. Thanks Navy.

I am curious though, how to get my Star dies in a Rock Chucker?
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    I like that idea. Every time I acquire a single stage in reloader's estate lot at auction I eventually wind up giving them away to get somebody started in the hobby. I should hang on to the next one for future consideration, and I could also chuck the hardness tester in it out in the shop rather than just attic pile it. Thanks Navy.

I am curious though, how to get my Star dies in a Rock Chucker?
    Don't know anything about the Star dies...

I use my single stage press with the Lee resizing dies and also use it fore removing bullets from loaded cases when I setting up a press, but not loading powder in the cartridges while getting the length right.

I opened up an ammo box yesterday that had some commercial ammo in it from quite a few years ago and had a bit of a surprise. The ammo was 9mm and trays were styrofoam. The jacketed bullets had obviously seated themselves quite a bit deeper over the years to the point where I am going to need to pull and reseat the bullets before even thinking about firing them. ASSUMING I can even get a grip on the bullet, given the fact that it is now seated so deeply.

Cleaned a pile of my daughter's junk off my bench. Finding out that a 2 year old generates a huge amount of detritus that invariably finds it's way into my shop and onto my reloading bench for some reason.

Once that was cleaned up I loaded up a couple of boxes of .38 Special and .44 Magnum, put some mixed range brass in the tumbler, and started prepping some .45 ACP brass. Planning to start in on my first try at loading .30 Remington for my Grandad's old Model 14 this weekend.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Loaded up some more Lee 358-125RF in .38Spl.
    Gotta use up this bottle of Trap 100 from 1989 so I can get it off the shelf and go on to something else.
    Mind me asking how much Trap 100 you are using in your 38 loads? I've got two cans of the stuff that my wife bought at a garage sale for me and would like to get it used up. It was one of those "they got some reloading powder here, do you want me to buy it?" DUH! Anyway, my S&W 64-3 needs more food and I've got a bunch of Lee 358-158 SWC-GC to use as well. PM me if you want.

Sized & checked more Lee 358-158 SWC-GC I cast up months ago. They weigh out around 162-166 with my water dropped range scrap which doesn't bother me. Going one at a time on the old Lyman 450 can be tedious but work today was VERY stressful so the repetition of it all was relaxing. Didn't solve any work problems but got to unwind in a productive way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Mind me asking how much Trap 100 you are using in your 38 loads? I've got two cans of the stuff that my wife bought at a garage sale for me and would like to get it used up. It was one of those "they got some reloading powder here, do you want me to buy it?" DUH! Anyway, my S&W 64-3 needs more food and I've got a bunch of Lee 358-158 SWC-GC to use as well. PM me if you want.
    I'll reply here, because Trap 100 data can be hard to come by, and a search engine may help others in the future.

Hodgdon #25 (fifth printing, 1989) shows Trap 100 for the .38Spl with 158-160g lead at 3.0g - 3.4g.
    Velocity listed at 771fps @ 11,400 cup to 832fps @ 14,400 cup.

It also shows 148g BBWC at 3.1g to 3.5g Trap 100 (828fps - 891fps, max 15,600 cup).
    I used this at 3.5g with a Hornady HBWC, and chrono'd 847fps from a Ruger Service-Six 4".

For those interested, I used jacketed data for the Lee 358-125RF.
    Hodgdon shows 3.8 to 4.5g Trap 100 (824fps, 10,200 cup to 930fps, 15,500 cup).
    I used 4.0g, chrono'd at 864fps, 19.4SD, 69fps spread form the same Service-Six 4".

It also shows data for lighter and heavier projectiles, but I don't use those.

I called Hodgdon once a few years ago, and was told that Trap 100 is very close to HP-38 in burn rate. I think it's a just bit slower.

If you need any other caliber data, let me know. I can't scan this book - it's a hardback and won't fit in the scanner - but I can type it out.

I'll reply here, because Trap 100 data can be hard to come by, and a search engine may help others in the future.

Hodgdon #25 (fifth printing, 1989) shows Trap 100 for the .38Spl with 158-160g lead at 3.0g - 3.4g.
    Velocity listed at 771fps @ 11,400 cup to 832fps @ 14,400 cup.

It also shows 148g BBWC at 3.1g to 3.5g Trap 100 (828fps - 891fps, max 15,600 cup).
    I used this at 3.5g with a Hornady HBWC, and chrono'd 847fps from a Ruger Service-Six 4".

For those interested, I used jacketed data for the Lee 358-125RF.
    Hodgdon shows 3.8 to 4.5g Trap 100 (824fps, 10,200 cup to 930fps, 15,500 cup).
    I used 4.0g, chrono'd at 864fps, 19.4SD, 69fps spread form the same Service-Six 4".

It also shows data for lighter and heavier projectiles, but I don't use those.

I called Hodgdon once a few years ago, and was told that Trap 100 is very close to HP-38 in burn rate. I think it's a just bit slower.

If you need any other caliber data, let me know. I can't scan this book - it's a hardback and won't fit in the scanner - but I can type it out.
    Thank you! I did some research myself when I first got the powder and found that it was on the fast side as well. However my data was from the web somewhere and not very complete. At 3.8-4.5 grains a shot, it will last forever LOL!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Thank you! I did some research myself when I first got the powder and found that it was on the fast side as well. However my data was from the web somewhere and not very complete. At 3.8-4.5 grains a shot, it will last forever LOL!
    Happy to help. I've received alot of info here on this board, and some personal help from members that don't know me at all. I'm just glad to be able to pass along something useful.

That 4.0g Lee 125RF load was really easy-shooting. Sized to .358, lubed w/NRA lube. No leading, and you get the bonus of the wonderful "honey" smell during shooting.

Be careful, those 3.8-4.5g loads are for the 125g. You had mentioned some 158g in your earlier post, just wanted to make certain you had read it correctly.

I also used to use Trap 100 powder for 9mm, back in the late 80's - early 90's. Iirc, it worked just fine, however, my notes from that time are incomplete.
    I think beer-drinking got in the way of note-taking back then. I quit drinking alcohol almost 18 years ago, amazed I still have both hands....

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I frequent a BP forum with a monthly lottery draw paid on honors . Usually 1 winner for cash toward a new gun gear or whatever . Some months a member puts up a 2nd place .
    This morning I boxed up a .451 and .454 single RB ,10# of 1-20 , older Lyman stove top 20# iron pot with new Lee handles and ladle . Call it a starter kit if you will .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Happy to help. I've received alot of info here on this board, and some personal help from members that don't know me at all. I'm just glad to be able to pass along something useful.

That 4.0g Lee 125RF load was really easy-shooting. Sized to .358, lubed w/NRA lube. No leading, and you get the bonus of the wonderful "honey" smell during shooting.

Be careful, those 3.8-4.5g loads are for the 125g. You had mentioned some 158g in your earlier post, just wanted to make certain you had read it correctly.

I also used to use Trap 100 powder for 9mm, back in the late 80's - early 90's. Iirc, it worked just fine, however, my notes from that time are incomplete.
    I think beer-drinking got in the way of note-taking back then. I quit drinking alcohol almost 18 years ago, amazed I still have both hands....
    Thanks again. I will reduce my loads for the heavier bullet. My note taking was better years ago but then I took about 10 years off from reloading to ride dirt bikes LOL! Dirt bikes went away about 6 years ago and started up the reloading but not as regularly. Still need to tune up the note taking

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Been cleaning brass. Have it all done now. Hunting season Saturday. Almost forgot. Picked up 149 lb's of wheel weights at the Good Year dealer . The guy there sorts them for me. All lead weights.
    Really good!
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Took the batch of Federal .270's out of the dehydrator and just finished annealing them all. (About 200 rounds) Took this morning's batch of .270's and .308's out of the tumbler and put them into the dehydrator to dry out. Refilled the tumbler with another batch of mixed brass (.308, .270, .30-06, .30-30's, etc.) and will turn it on again as I head out of the shop door to go back upstairs ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Man

Swaged some primer pockets.

Took the batch of mixed brass out of the ss pin tumbler and put it into the dehydrator to dry. Annealed more .270 brass. Sorted some mixed brass. Just refilled the tumbler with 9mm brass and will turn it on as I walk out of the shop to head back upstairs. Another good day ... (was pouring rain so couldn't go shooting anyway) ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!