Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornet Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    I'm guessing 1:12, but I'll run a jag down it.
    Recent manufacture H&R's have a 1 in 12" twist.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Recent manufacture H&R's have a 1 in 12" twist.
    Yep. Confirmed it with a rod.

i got a second-hand Lee collet die & seater. Cast a bunch of 56 gr. Lee flat points (I guess that's the latest version of the Bator). I ordered brass through my local Cabela's, but it has yet to arrive.
    If if they don't, I'll load the 25 I have on hand and head to the range (probably take 10 of them to get the scope on).

Once-shot or used Hornet brass is hard to come by and usually costs more than new Winchester! I don't know what people are thinking they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Yep. Confirmed it with a rod.

i got a second-hand Lee collet die & seater. Cast a bunch of 56 gr. Lee flat points (I guess that's the latest version of the Bator). I ordered brass through my local Cabela's, but it has yet to arrive.
    If if they don't, I'll load the 25 I have on hand and head to the range (probably take 10 of them to get the scope on).

Once-shot or used Hornet brass is hard to come by and usually costs more than new Winchester! I don't know what people are thinking they've got.
    I don't shoot 22 hornet so I don't know about price, but here's some:

https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.22-HORNET-100.html
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    I don't shoot 22 hornet so I don't know about price, but here's some:

https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.22-HORNET-100.html
    Like the man said new and in stock at this site for a lot less than that mixed headstamp used brass.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...3755/cat100137

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Thanks. I stopped at the local gun shop, which never has brass beyond .223, and they had Winchester Hornet! Bought 100 for $0.27 a case including tax. That's the best I've seen..

I'll do some shooting this weekend.

Loaded 75 rounds. I used the NOE neck expander and the 55 gr. Lee boolits went in easy-peasy.

Range day was extremely gusty, ranging from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock. But I figured I could check function and fire form the new cases.

The trigger is great, 2-3 pounds and crisp.

the groups were ok but too many fliers-- a couple in every 10 shot group. The wind makes it hard to nail down the problem, but the groups were circular.

two grains of Red Dot under the 55 Lee did well, 2 inches at 50, with fliers.

3 grains of RD gave a cluster of 1 1/4" at 75 yards. W/flyers. Guesstimate based on my old Lyman=1500fps.

I've got quite a bit of H4227, so I tried it-- best group--7 gr.-- was 2" at75yds. With fliers. Guesstimate =1600 fps.
    but at 8 gr. And 8.5 gr. The groups opened up to almost 4".

Finally, I shot some 1.3 gr. red Dot groups at 25yrd, and got nice touching clover leaves. Sounded like a standard vel. .22. Great squirrel load. Guesstimate = under 900 fps. Through the scope, I could see the boolits flying down range.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the lee collet die in 22 Hornet was the best investment I have made for reloading my hornet. That and LIL GUN take all the challange out of reloading for the hornet.

Blixen, could you give a little more info on the NOE neck expander? I have NOE Molds, but, didn't know they made a neck expander for hornet. Does this go into a press? Sorry, but, would love more info.

thanks rch

Quote Originally Posted by rhouser View Post
    I think the lee collet die in 22 Hornet was the best investment I have made for reloading my hornet. That and LIL GUN take all the challange out of reloading for the hornet.

Blixen, could you give a little more info on the NOE neck expander? I have NOE Molds, but, didn't know they made a neck expander for hornet. Does this go into a press? Sorry, but, would love more info.

thanks rch
    Look here: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...3ieu991tc8idm7
    In goes in the Lee expander die that just bells the opening of the case. Putting the NOE expander plug into the Lee Universal Expander body makes it a two-step opening.
    http://www.titanreloading.com/univer...arch=expanding
    Last edited by blixen; 11-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.

I want one to rechamber to .218 Bee. Just because I like it better than the Hornet.

Boolit Master
    I was going to do the Bee once upon a time, if memory serves, the Bee is shorter than the Hornet so would not cleanup the chamber. I was looking at a Ruger #3 an was told it would not shoot well. Now I'm a Hornet fan, but still would like a Bee sometime!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos