Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not a new lee classic turret press?

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Buy it!!! Do not delay!! Beware of false prophet speaking doom!!

Dave

Boolit Buddy

Concentricity/ runout issues?

For those of you who load rifle ammo on the Classic Cast Turret- do you find that the movement of the die turret causes any problems with misalignment or unreasonable runout? I've been saving for a Redding T-7, but the Classic Turret certainly is attractive. I load a lot of BPCR cartridges, and would sure like to leave my dies set up. I would still load one stage at a time, so the indexing is not an issue, but the "play" inherent in the Lee system has me leery.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) to relate in this regard?

Thanks a lot! Regan

Boolit Master
    I actually can't give you an example of the Lee Classic Turret, but I can the old fashioned aluminum turret. I've got two a four holer I use on all my handguns except 45 acp (I use a Hornady LNL progressive for these), and it works great, fast changeover and very controllable. I use my older 3 holer, with the auto indexing removed for 223,223ai, and 22-250. My three sizers go in one turret, my three bullet seaters go in another and and third turret is set up for a powder measure (yes I throw charges in all three 39.5 grains of H380 in the 22-250 is no problem with the pro auto disk powder measure with the double disc kit). I use the same exact load as I worked up on my single stage press and I've never noticed a problem with runout at all. I don't think I would use one of the aluminum ones for my 416 Rigby now, but for the smaller cartridges they work great. I'm sure that big cast one would be fine on the big cases though. The Lee Turrets do lift up a might when the ram goes up, but it lifts up evenly around the diameter of the turret.

For no more than a Lee Classic Turret press costs, to me it seems like a no-brainer - go ahead and pick one up. To get started, I bought an Anniversary Challenger Press kit, but I expect that there is a Lee Classic Turret press sometime in my future. But, I first want to learn a bit more about the ins and outs of reloading before I buy one.
    --- Patrick G.

Quote Originally Posted by 44minimum View Post
    I've read almost nothing but good about a lee classic turret press and I kinda want one. Problem is, I'm using an almost new Lyman T MAG two turret press now but it looks like the lee would be quite a bit faster but I surely do not want a progressive. Help me talk myself out of this purchase.
    Although I don't have this press I thought that I would make a comment or two.

Your question at hand is what I find somewhat ironic. First you have to consider the playing field that your confiding in. Your post makes me think of the crowd that I hang around with.

When we are out shopping or kicking tires and one of us fellas see something of interest, it does no good to ask for your comrades opinion. If its anything at all worthy, the reply is always... "get it".

You are dealing with a diseased, demented group here. That said, if you are looking for someone to tell you "no" then perhaps you ought to go ask the wifey.

As for having issues with the idea of having two presses, I know of no one that has just one.

As has been already mentioned about the price for this press, in no way is it a bundle of $$$. After all is does have a pretty good reputation and praise by reading the reviews.

Check out this link to see it in operation:

Lee Classic Turret in operation

So whats the deal ? Get it!
    Last edited by Sprue; 08-19-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Grand Master

I have an old Lee Turret press with the 3 hole turrets and about 9 turrets all set up. I also have 2 Pro disk powder measures, one set up for the double disk kit. Even loading the primers by hand I did a test and almost loaded 150 rounds of 9mm in an hour. Way faster then the Lyman Turret press I have.
    My friend just bought a new 4 holer from Natchez Shooters Supply. Good price, might want to check their website. www.natchezss.com.

Boolit Buddy
    I am very aware of the demented folks that inhabit this forum. I would bet that I would receive the same encouragement to make a purchase of anything that might come from A midway, mid south shooter's supply, cabelas, bass pro shops or sportsman's guide catalog, no matter what it was. Well, come to think of it, the sportsman's guide catalog sometimes has items way out of line of the ordinary, fluffy pinkish women things or curtains or something like that that I wouldn't be caught dead ordering. I'd be downright embarrassed if anyone found out. I've just about got myself talked into this purchase but it will have to wait until after a trip to Branson next month. Then I still got a try to unload this Lyman on some poor uninformed individual. Damn am glad that you guys are looking out for my best interests this way.
    Anything that produces some sort of an explosion, can't be all bad.

44minimum

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Even loading the primers by hand I did a test and almost loaded 150 rounds of 9mm in an hour.
    Unless I'm missing something, isn't it faster to seat primers by hand with a hand tool rather than doing it on the press?

I can reload about 100 rounds in an hour with a single stage press - the part that takes the most time is getting my powder measure set up to charge the level I want.
    --- Patrick G.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 44minimum View Post
    I am very aware of the demented folks that inhabit this forum. I would bet that I would receive the same encouragement to make a purchase of anything that might come from A midway, mid south shooter's supply, cabelas, bass pro shops or sportsman's guide catalog, no matter what it was. Well, come to think of it, the sportsman's guide catalog sometimes has items way out of line of the ordinary, fluffy pinkish women things or curtains or something like that that I wouldn't be caught dead ordering. I'd be downright embarrassed if anyone found out. I've just about got myself talked into this purchase but it will have to wait until after a trip to Branson next month. Then I still got a try to unload this Lyman on some poor uninformed individual. Damn am glad that you guys are looking out for my best interests this way.
    i'm pretty new to this, but it looks particular to your loading style. if it fist for your process, score.

i've always been the kind of person where i prefer to do the same action 10, 20, 100x in a row, ie: put in 50 primers, then add powder 50x, then add bullets 50x, etc. it just my personality, i make fewer mistakes, the work goes by faster for me, and i find it to be how i can maximize my personal efficiency.

Boolit Grand Master
    "IMO, Lee has difficulty producing goods with linkage/moving parts."

You're missing the boat, here, Jim. Apparently your experience is not all encompassing, as you're in the distinct minority here. We ain't lying about this press.

"For those of you who load rifle ammo on the Classic Cast Turret- do you find that the movement of the die turret causes any problems with misalignment or unreasonable runout?"

No. My Lee Collet dies have less than a thousandth runout whether on my Rockchucker or on this Lee Classic Turret.

"Unless I'm missing something, isn't it faster to seat primers by hand with a hand tool rather than doing it on the press?"

Absolutely not. Doing it with a hand tool adds an extra handling step to the operation when you could be leaving the round in the press and processing it fully. Priming is done on the Lee CT while on the downstroke, on the way to another die station. No loss of time.

Pulling cases and priming them separately = loss of time.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll mention this one more time (at least) - the difference between the Lee Classic Turret and other turret presses:
    When the Lee Turret moves up against the press (when loading) it is supported COMPLETELY around the turret. There is NO tilting so no chance to misalign and end up with a crooked cartridge. All other turret presses of which I have personal knowledge, have imperfect methods to limit the tilt they are subject to.

Understand, I am not knocking other presses - I have long used a Lyman T-Mag and now a T-Mag II and there is no denying that the Lee has the superior method - plus the turret expense is MUCH less. One of the few times in life you get more for less Frankly, if the Lee Classic Turret had been available when I bought my Lyman, the Lyman would not have been purchased. I am MORE than happy with my Lee Classic Turret and that should be obvious.

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I am a believer in the LEE presses. That said I must admit (I) broke couple of them. I suggest buying the LEE press. Just follow the instructions. It takes a lot to break one of their monster classic heavy duty steel presses. I still managed to do it. I called LEE and explained the problem, admitting it was MY fault. The LEE company sent me a replacement part and I was back in operation. I wasn't worried. I had another working LEE press to use. Still, I thought it was very nice of them to just send a replacement part after I told them it was MY fault. Read the instructions and load away. I AM A HAPPY CUSTOMER. I RECOMMEND THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I'll mention this one more time (at least) - the difference between the Lee Classic Turret and other turret presses:
    When the Lee Turret moves up against the press (when loading) it is supported COMPLETELY around the turret. There is NO tilting so no chance to misalign and end up with a crooked cartridge. All other turret presses of which I have personal knowledge, have imperfect methods to limit the tilt they are subject to.

Understand, I am not knocking other presses - I have long used a Lyman T-Mag and now a T-Mag II and there is no denying that the Lee has the superior method - plus the turret expense is MUCH less. One of the few times in life you get more for less Frankly, if the Lee Classic Turret had been available when I bought my Lyman, the Lyman would not have been purchased. I am MORE than happy with my Lee Classic Turret and that should be obvious.

Dale53
    Bingo Dale53

If a few do not fully understand what Dale53 is saying I will try to help lol. You see the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press has a tool head that will rotate on an with being the full outside of the circumference of the tool head which makes it stronger and with less flex for tilting or any other movement what so ever. Where as the Lyman T-Mag has a central bolt which holds the tool head and to limit tilting and or movement from the tool head there is a shim bolt under the back of the tool head exactly opposite from the die that you will use. So to get less tilt and or movement from the tool head you must tighten that shim bolt up against the tool head which will limit your movement of the took head to rotate it to the next die. Unless you give it a bit of slack which means the tool head will move and thus be more out of line than THE LEE CLASSIC CAST TURRET PRESS. So there you have it boys and girls lol.

Look Here lol.

As you can tell the Tool Head is supported around its entire circumference.

But the Lyman T-Mag only has a single bolt in the middle of the tool head which can enable it to tilt unless you tighten the shim bolt against the tool head to limit tilt and this will also limit how easy it is to turn from one die to the next. Unless it is loose then you just have to accept what ever amount of tool head tilt you may have.

I hope the pictures help lol.

Now does anyone here wish to purchase a low usage Lyman T-Mag II with two tool heads?

Boolit Master
    I use the Ram Prime II in my Lee Classic Cast Turret as I like to check to make sure the primers a set deep enough , tried the hand jobbie and didn't like it at all .
    I did split a turret once FL sizing some 22-250 cases and called Lee and they said to send it to them and they would send me a new one , which they did .
    I use Perfect Powder Measures for rifle and the Pro Disk Measures with the adjustable insert in them , both work well .
    Only other thing what is kind of a negative is you do have to watch out for the threaded holes in the turrets being off a little once in awhile , I have found a couple that have been off by as much as .020 and it makes it a bear to get the brass started as it hits the edge of the die , good thing they are inexpensive .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

The more I look at the Lee Classic Turret press and the Auto Disk Powder Measure, the more I like them. They look like they'd be the cat's meow for the reloading that I do, which is pretty much just plinking loads that I take to the range for my own enjoyment. It looks like it would speed up my reloading time considerably. Of course I don't "need" anything other than my single stage press with the Perfect Powder measure, but it's something to look forward to.
    --- Patrick G.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, isn't it faster to seat primers by hand with a hand tool rather than doing it on the press?

I can reload about 100 rounds in an hour with a single stage press - the part that takes the most time is getting my powder measure set up to charge the level I want.
    I don't have a hand primer, but I just don't see how using one could be faster. You are handling the brass more(time) using a hand primer. With the LCT you handle it only twice, (1)insert empty brass (2)remove finished round. YMMV.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Jester: I predict that if you try the safety prime you will no longer prefer to put primers in by hand. I rarely use my Lee auto primes tools anymore, prefering to do priming on the Classic Cast Turret. Plenty "feel" when setting primers and plenty leverage to get it done effortlessly. The new design on the primer tray is the greatest for flipping the primers upright I've ever seen. You will have no problems with linkage or moving parts on the Classic Cast series. DALE
    I agree Dale. A couple of months ago the son-in-law was home from medical school and we were setting right here(pic). He was on the Classic Turret on the right cranking out 38's and I was on the DeLuxe Turret on the left cranking out 44's.

At a point we were taking a break and I said "lets see who can fill up a box(50) first." I knew he would win on the Classic, but I wanted to see by how much. Mind you now, he only gets to reload 2 or 3 times a year, and I'm supposed to be the seasoned veteran here.

And we're off. In no hurry, paying attention. About ~15/20 minutes later he was through with his box of 50. I had 32 in my box.

The safety prime is a huge time saver.

Last edited by jawjaboy; 08-20-2008 at 01:45 PM.

I have the older alum turret press and the classic turret press. Both have the Lee safety prime and pro auto disc installed on them. I also have a RCBS RS5 press, RCBS hand primer, and a Lyman 55 powder measure. The new Lee powder and primer systems leave the RCBS and Lyman systems in the dust for speed, ease of adjustments , and overall ease of use. I compare the alum turret press to a Chevy, solid, simple, and dependable. The classic I compare to a Cadillac, it's top of the line. For those of you who have had bad experiences with the older Lee presses, priming systems, powder measures, etc., you really need to try the new designs. Lee has got it right this time, they can make quality equipment with moving parts.

Boolit Buddy

Design issues

For those who have taken the time to directly address my question of rifle ammunition quality on the Lee turret, I thank you. My direct comparison was with the Redding T-7, which I think is much better supported than the Lyman presses.

My concern with the Lee is that at some point, the turret is in motion upward, driven only by the case and/ or bullet moving upward into whatever die is in use. It seems that this would induce an opportunity for the entire turret to "cock" sideways until it tops out against the locking lugs and squares up again. It is these intermittent locking lugs that bear the upward thrust, not the "entire circumference" band at the top of the turret as someone suggested. I do understand that once the turret is up and "loaded", it is fully supported and should be square to the ram; it's just the in-between motion that bothers me. If I could figure out a way to pre-load/ spring-load the turret up against the lugs at each station (without shooting it out the top of the press in between lug engagement), all of this play when the cartridge is in the die would be eliminated! Maybe this would make little practical difference, but it would sure make me feel better.

35Remington, thanks for your qualitative answer. My BPCR cartridge dies are not collet dies, but your answer does make me feel a little better.

Thanks guys! Sorry for partially sidetracking this thread, but I think it does apply to the original question.

Y'all take care! Regan