Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lee prooves to be junk again

Boolit Master
    Returning to the original post, the Lee website lists 90865 as a factory crimp die for .45 Colt, not .455 Webley. 90865 is not the number for the .455 Webley carbide sizing die either.

Boolit Master

Good research, Higgins. It is also listed for the 454 Casull.

I guess this prooOooves that the OP is full of.... junk.

90785 is the 455 Webley taper crimp die.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Good research, Higgins. It is also listed for the 454 Casull.

I guess this prooOooves that the OP is full of.... junk.

90785 is the 455 Webley taper crimp die.
    well, it could be they shipped him the wrong part too tbh. I got a 45/70 resizing die when I order for 44 magnum.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    IMO there is 2 specific markets for Lee dies. The reloaders that don't have the money, well for them, Lee is the natural choice. I have been is this group at the beginning of my reloading career.

The other market are re-loaders that don't know / care what the dies should do. Those are the same people who have lower expectations f.e. in accuracy department (because they can't shoot, or their guns are rubbish, or they just don't need the extra accuracy the hi-quality tools can provide).
    Ola I don't know the Finn word for Caca but your second statement is full of it. I can afford ANY brand of dies but Lee is my first choice for handguns because of their better features. As far as rifle dies go I used RGB .308 dies (about$20) to load ammo for my nephews FN Police rifle. The average for 5-5shot groups @100yds was .214"! I own Reddings, RCBS, Hornady, CH, and even Herters dies and none load any better ammo than Lee dies. My main press and scale are RCBS and my main powder measure is a Redding. Because that's what the gun store had in 1973 when I graduated from......a Lee loader! Oh by the way I love Sako/Tikka rifles and own a few. Best, Thomas.

I dont know if its a glitch, but I ordered 3 300BO decapper pins from Lee today
    They cost $5.05 in shipping. They were free
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I called RCBS last week to inquire about getting expanders for cast rounds for 9MM, .38/357, .45ACP and they sent them free, shipping included.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I obviously mis-typed the part number in my frustration since Lee agreed when we were on the phone the part number was correct.

I cannot check it now since my customer has it.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    i read about that issue. apparently you can move the lock ring to the bottom and still secure them but I didn't wanna run that route. My choice was a 650 fully loaded though....balked at the price tag and went with LnL for now. I'll eventually add the blue to my bench once I have some other priorities taken care of.
    I have found that the skinny RCBS rings with the set screws work well for the LnL bushings and Lee dies. I like the Lee lock rings with their turrets because you don't ever have to unscrew them again.

Honesly I wish the LnL didn't have the bushings--I would be happy to just adjust the lock rings and then screw the dies in and out as needed.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have about twice as many RCBS die sets as any of the others .
    Among other reasons for buying some of the Lee dies I have are;
    They came with a pig/poke lot of stuff
    They were available when others weren't
    And last but not least it's really hard for me to swallow a 3 die pistol set at $46-52 when they used to be within $5 of of all the rifle sets that are now $35.

On cost I've used Lee rifle dies with and in process with RCBS , Lyman , and CH . Yes the RCBS etc are definitely smoother lower friction dies , steel compared to steel . Can I see spending $70 for 06' dies from Sinclair when the same RCBS dies are $35 , nope . I can get a 4 die set with a neck collet and a shell holder for $42 with Lee . ( Because I need another shell holder I only have 5 ) .
    Talking about dimensions even with a 452 dia bullet the full length sized 45 Colts and even 38/357/ 9mm with 357 dia have the Coke bottle look from the RCBS carbide dies , no I don't think the 47' Model 10 has big sloppy chambers . The 45ACP Lee dies do a fine job and the FCD guts out name a fine body sizer for Colts and Schofield cases.

When I needed a set of 40 SW , 6.8 Rem ,223 and 222 Lee was all that was available . The rifle dies have since been replaced , with pre-owned sets and or singles not because they didn't work but because the the RCBS dies are just smoother in this case .

As far as I have used them and for the intended use Lee moulds do the job . I mean where else are we going to get a 6C mould for under $40 with high leverage no whack sprue plate ? All 4 of mine run not only heavy but fat right from the box .
    Of course I had bump to close 2 cavity , didn't everyone get 1 of those ? I don't know about everyone else but a 6C for 25yd pistol bullets that can be had for as little as $37 that might need a little fidgeting beats the same mould in a 5C at $100 every time. Sure if I want a 4-5C that is cartridge specific and works well in a couple of others and needs to be dead zero perfect I'll drop the $90-117 on it . For what it's worth the 6C 358-200 shoots just as well in the 358 Win I load for as the 2C 35-230 FP so I get about the same mould weight in use and cast 3x as many bullets per pour with a handy sprue handle .

I hate the scale , deburring/ chamfer tool and am currently having a love hate thing with a load master . Then again I have 2Lyman Ohause M5 scales and a VLD chamfer/deburring tool and several single stage RCBS and Lyman presses backed with RCBS powder measures so the load master is nice but it isn't the final answer .

I buy sizers expecting them to be under ,most of them have been over size .

As far as recommendations for tools I tell someone that wants to try out loading ," buy a Lee kit and your pistol dies , replace the stuff you don't and buy RCBS rifle dies . If you decide that this isn't your thing you can get almost all your money back, if it is your thing the you have a place to build from and it didn't cost you $500 to poke your head in and have a look around .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Saeco, etc. They are all just companies trying to sell their wares to folks like us that have a desire to use their product. All of them have had great reviews and all of them have had poor reviews. No precision tool/equipment manufacturer has a perfect record. All that said, I've had good luck with Lee dies and molds from when I first started casting and loading and still to this day. After 40-ish years of casting boolits and reloading I got to say that Lee products work just as well as anyones. Don't know about their customer service though, never had to return anything.

Boolit Master
    I have been using Lee products for about 40 + years no real problems with any thing. Also have products from just about every one else stopped buying Hornaday dies and Lyman not happy with them.

Boolit Buddy
    If something proves to be junk IMO then I wise up and don't buy it or whine about it if I buy from them again.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 43 Spanish die set from Lee. Sizer would not neck size the case, problem with bullet setter too. Same go around.

Boolit Bub
    I own about 23 different sets of Lee dies and I've only had one problem, their 7.62x25 Tokarev sizer doesn't properly size the case. I wasn't impressed with their customer service when I tried to bring it up. Out of all those die sets, three presses, three powder measures, and about 10 bullet molds, that one sizer die is the only problem I've had.

I have a couple RCBS and Hornady die sets, too. They are definitely smoother, and I like the Hornady seater dies better. Other than that, Lee works great in my experience.

Boolit Master
    I would not own one of their presses but I load most of my ammo with their dies and have a half-dozen of their molds and have had zero problems with any of it...

My first reloading experience with a Lee product was in the mid-1960s when I loaded all my shotgun ammo with a Lee Loader.

Bob

After reading this thread, I'm so very thankful that i don't have issues with lee products. Some of this stuff Would drive me crazy
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master
    Used Lee dies for 9mm/357mag/3840/223/3030/308 I guess I've been lucky they have all worked well with no issue as have their molds and sizers .

Boolit Master
    All but my 30 carbine dies are lee. Never had an issue with them. Had I not gotten the 30 carbine dies with the package deal, they would be lee as well.
    My molds are lee as well as the lube and sized kits. Never an issue there either.