Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I like fixed power scopes

I've got a Bushnell 2-7x36 on my Mini-30, after sighting in I've got the set screw locked on 4x. Works perfect for any shots I'm gonna take, up close out to 200 yards. Couldn't find a fixed 4x that was within my low budget at the time but quite happy with this set up.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

most of my scopes are fixed and even with the variable ones I just set it on one power and leave it there.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Sitting on a 1955 Model 70 in .375 H&H is an El Paso 1964 vintage 3x Weaver with post reticule. Can I do any better? Scattered through out the gun safes are still more set power scopes from other makers 2.5, 3 and 4x on my most used rifles.Robert
    Nope. That is a perfect pairing.

Boolit Master
    Must admit I use variables max setting for targets min for hunting.don't use the middle settings at all,perhaps some one will make a two setting scope?

I bought a SAKO .375H&H in 1966, bought rings and scope from my smith. Went to range the
    Weaver varible lasted 6 shots. Returned to smith, he replaced the varible( think it was 2: 5x, it
    was smallest varible they made) again it lasted only a few shots. Took it back and had him put
    K3 on it. Just sold rifle last year, kept the scope. Gun had about 600rds total through it and scope
    was no problem for all those years. It now resides on Marlin 1894/44mg, still holds 0 perfectly.
    I hate varible scopes, the straight powers have never gave me any trouble. I have them on rifles
    and several extras. My favorite scopes are 3x and 6x on hunting rifles.

Boolit Master
    Like the guy from Texas I had a Rem 788 in 22-250 with a K6. It was a great rig, I made some amazing shots and some amazing misses with that rifle. My current 22-250 has a Weaver Micro-Track K12. Wish I still had every 788 and fixed power weaver I have ever owned. The one I miss most was a Weaver T6, it had most repeatable adjustments I have ever used. That one was on a 788 in 223 Rem.

I do like variables but the bottom line is that the more bells and whistles usually means more problems. They still have a place in my safe.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Like the guy from Texas I had a Rem 788 in 22-250 with a K6. It was a great rig, I made some amazing shots and some amazing misses with that rifle. My current 22-250 has a Weaver Micro-Track K12. Wish I still had every 788 and fixed power weaver I have ever owned. The one I miss most was a Weaver T6, it had most repeatable adjustments I have ever used. That one was on a 788 in 223 Rem.

I do like variables but the bottom line is that the more bells and whistles usually means more problems. They still have a place in my safe.

Dave
    Preaching to the choir! 6 22-250's, 2 .308's and a.243 that I killed my best buck with. I currently want a K8 for my Tikka 25-06( kind of 788-ish). Best, Thomas.

I prefer a fixed power myself.

I have a couple of fixed power scopes, a steel tube made in USA Bushnell that I got used about 69. Then I have a 6X 22 scope that I have had since about 62. It is a great turtle gun for the ponds at the farm. Bushnell is a 2x and sits on top of my first year production 444 Marlin rifle in a tip off mount. The old marlin sights are not worth a flip but that little scope lets that marlin shoot 210 and 240 Lyman SWC GC cast like a charm. It works great in cowboy silhouette matches.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    I really like the Weaver Micro Trac K2.5 and K3. The other scope that I really like is the Leupold long tube 3X.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I love stuff I can't mess up. Of course I could mess up a fixed power with a hammer but I am not quite that stoopid.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Moderator Emeritus

Many don't realize that a fixed power scope has fewer lenses in it than a variable, and the fewew the lenses, the less light is lost in transmission to the eye. Thus, for greater light transmission in low light, fixed powers make a lot of sense. Also, I wish I had a dollar for every story I've heard about guys who ran up a deer on the way to their stand, and couldn't find it in the scope because they'd checked the sights or sighted in and forgot to turn the power back down. Variables can provide some advantage, but nothing is all plusses with no minuses.

Fixed are also usually lighter, by a couple of ounces, and this generally makes the gun/scope balance and handle better. Most people discount this as being too "little" a factor to matter, but mostly, they're just wanting to make excuses for their lack of ability to shoot, I think. Most folks think they're more accurate with a higher power scope, but if the old buffalo hunters and long range BPCR shooters can shoot less than 10" groups at 1,000 yds., a 4x ought to do to ride the river with for anything deer size and upwards.

I played around with a 3-9x on squirrels with a .22 and decided that for sniping them, at the ranges I typically get them, about an 8x gave me the best sight picture for precisely placed head shots. I like sniping turtles in a friend's pond at very long distances for a .22, and I think I may put a 4-12x on my next nail drivin' .22, but for hunting, there's nothing that beats a fixed 2.5-3x if you're hunting in the woods, or a 4x for all around big game. Nice, neat, compact, light, and when you see your quarry, and especially if it surprises you coming out of "nowhere," you just throw up and shoot. Nothing to slow you down, and the more compact scope, usually, allows a lower sight line in low mounts, so you get a better cheek weld, which is so important to good and consistent shooting. Nobody around here much uses fixed power scopes, and those who do don't trade them in. You never see one used for sale. That's a pretty good indication of how great they really are for a real hunter, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    the more bells and whistles usually means more problems.

Dave
    +1 I have a 6x Burris Mini that's just about perfect on my CZ Triple Deuce. I sold a K6 that I wish I still had. I've got K4s, that pretty much fit the bill on my .30 cals. A Nikon 4x (beautiful multicoatings) on my Rimfire is the brightest scope I've got and will probably move to my Hornet.

Because of less lens surfaces, i also think a single power has a wider field and is brighter/contrastier, all things being equal.
    Last edited by blixen; 10-29-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Banned
    i use variables in all of my guns. but its stays at 4-6x for deer/black bear and 9-24x for groundhogs/varmints. i got a good deal on a leupold 3-9x, so its stays on my tc encore in 444 marlin.

i only have one fixed power, a cheap old bushnell that goes on my cheap old marlin 25y in 22lr that puts 7 shots into 50 yards a 1/2 - 1" groups, doesn't matter if it a remmy, federal, win... when it uses a cci 32gr hp it does 1/4" group. i rarely shoot it now, but once in awhile she'll let me know that its still there and still accurate.

Boolit Master

I have run a several of the fixed Weaver K scopes on my rifles in the past and currently have a 2 1/2 power Weaver(made for Sears). I just wish I had kept the older Weavers I have sold, a bad habit of mine; always searching for the perfect load and scope. I have a 6X Leupold M8 scope that will never be sold. The first scope I ever owned was a Weaver 3X fixed scope. I love simple and rugged. I had an older Weaver K 10, at least 4 of the 4X's, a 6X, all fixed of course, that I should never have sold, my bad, james

Boolit Master
    I have just discovered crossbow scopes. Many have funny reticles. Most have short range parralax adjustments. Some are varible. But some are good, simple low fixed power scopes.

I like fixed power scopes as well. Simple is all so often best. A couple of older Leupold M model 4x were favorites of mine for years.
    regards,

Banned

I guess I just look at it different. If I buy a 4x scope I have a 4x scope. If I buy a 2x7 I have a 2x scope a 4x scope and a 6x scope. I can hunt in the swamp today and out in the corn field tomorrow. Also there very few really good fixed power scopes on the market. Most of the newest technology and the best lenses and coatings go on the variables because that's what sells. Take leupold for example. You can buy a vx2 3x9 or 2x7 for what a 4x cost and the 3x9 has better coatings. Most companys don't even bother with a good quality 4x scope. Now some here are cheering for the old weavers and bushnells that are way behind in lens quality, coating quality and even reliability compared to even a bottom line variable from burris, leupold, Nikon ect made today. If you doubt that simple fact compare them side by side. A blind man could tell the difference. the old weavers were decent in there day but truth be told weren't even top shelf scopes then. A much better choice if your looking for nostalsia is an old redfield. They had MUCH better glass then the weavers did. Best of the modern mid priced fixed power scopes were the Nikon monarchs and they discontinued them because of lack of sales. If you want nostalgia put an old steel 4x weaver on your gun. Me I'm going to buy the best scope I can for my 300 bucks and that will be a 2x7 or 3x9 EVERY TIME

Boolit Master
    Lloyd Smale, I recently found my self looking for a new scope for a 22. Single power would be great for me and my style of shooting. However as you said good fixed powers are few and far between and the oldies have hazy glass. I stumbled on a crossbow scope which has a lot of what I desire: plenty of eye relief, bright optics, good field of view, close paralax, light weight and toughness. It is a tenpoint 3 power cross bow scope without the illuminated reticle. I will have to get use to the three horizontal cross wires. After researching the crossbow scope market, it seems as though varibles are moving in to it which may be why I could pick this one up for 40 bucks. I did find several others that met these specs in other brands including topline scope brands. I actually bought the Tenpoint a couple of years ago just because it was cheap and met my requirements. I got a real deal on a pink stock 10-22 and thought they would be a match. So far, so good

Boolit Master
    1-4
    1.5-5
    2-7
    2.5-8
    Get used the most for hunting here..

Just getting back into using levers and single shots with receiver and tang sites..

For paper and steel:
    V16
    VII 4-12
    Several fixed 10's

Have to admit one of my favorites is a Leupy 6X36 with CDS & LR dots for hunting open areas..
    Last edited by Nrut; 11-20-2016 at 07:05 PM.