MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about radiopharmacy lead

Boolit Buddy

Question about radiopharmacy lead

I now have a steady supplier of lead. Bought 200# today and they have another 600-800 pounds on hold for me. Is $0.50 per pound a reasonable price? They have a guy they deliver to 1hr away that pays them $0.50 per pound to make fishing jigs so I had to match his price. They'd rather sell to me so they don't have to travel. That said, what is the composition of it? The sheets are really flexible so I assume they are 100% but I don't know about the containers. Each of those big football containers is 32#.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F1CDB75-50A7-46B6-B4EE-B256157E3B0C.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	178996

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html

This should help.

Great price, by the way!!! (Jealous here!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    The shielding lead I've used was good stuff, from about the same as wheel weight alloy to dead soft pure lead. 50 cents a pound is a good price.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Well, using the pencil test, the sheets are pure lead and the big lead jugs are most likely pure lead. Both were peeled by 5B pencil but the sheets seemed a little easier. The little bottles are probably 20:1 lead/tin as they were peeled using 2B pencil. Now to melt into ingots. Be nice if I could trade the pure lead for some Linotype. Once I have melted I'll have to post it and see if there are any takers.

On a side note, I have never done the pencil test until today. I tested some water dropped 3:1 pure lead/Linotype bullets I made and they were peeled by H pencil which means they are 16-18 BHN. Does that sound about right?
    Last edited by n10sivern; 10-18-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Lead doesn't absorb radiation, but the oxide on the surface does. The amount of radiation is minute. If you really have a concern just let it sit for two or three months before rendering it into ingots. In truth, the lead oxide poses a greater health hazard to you. Wash your hands, with COLD water and soap.

Boolit Buddy
    Yea. That's a good haul for 100 bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not worried about radiation. I am an ER nurse and I'm exposed to more from X-rays in the ER than I will be from this lead

Boolit Master
    Nice find for a great price I have used the 32# ontainers and they work nive for my allaround pistol shootin

Boolit Buddy
    My previous assay of radioactive isotope containers was=WW. good stuff

Boolit Buddy
    The link provided with the info above lists the jugs as a BHN of 10, but the ones I got pencil tested out dang near pure lead. I just checked again and 5B peeled it, 4B did a little better, but that still doesn't put it at BHN 10. Interesting.

These are the footballs similar to what I got that tested at a lower BHN
    Attachment 179024

I picked up some of these and they tested out about right on the BHN
    Attachment 179025

They had a few of these
    Attachment 179026

The also has 2-3 of these but they were unpainted. They said the previous buyer couldn't use them so I wonder if it is a different composition or metal
    Attachment 179027
    Last edited by n10sivern; 10-18-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Member BNE can XRF a sample of each container and you'll know the alloy composition of each sample. He charges 1 pound of lead for each sample tested. Send him a PM for shipping details.

Boolit Master
    I am a former Nuclear Med Tech.
    The football is from a Moly99-Tc99m generator.
    The capsule in pic #2 is a Iodine 123 capsule shields.
    Item number 3 are Xe133 gas tubes. Not sure what item #4 is?
    All items should be wiped tested for any contamination.
    At the hospital I am at, I cannot buy lead because it has to be returned to the nuclear pharmacy to be recycled.
    At $.50/lbs buy all you can because the regulations are getting worse.
    My .02 read up on radiation safety and shielding
    Enjoy cheap lead
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    I plan on buying all of it and selling about half of it. They said this stuff has been sitting for months. I dunno if they have to wait until the half life has cleared before releasing it, but all the lead was just in a stock room. I guess since this is a radio/nuclear pharmacy they are taking the appropriate measures. They were handling it with no precautions.

Boolit Master
    I have several hundred of the smaller ones and they do make some good pistol bullits.
    I just add a little tin just to make sure they fill out.

The ones i got cost 1.00 a pound so half that is good i think.

Boolit Grand Master

The large containers are 96/3/1. I've had them analyzed. I used to have close to a ton of them. I would buy all I could get because it's a perfect clean alloy for almost every application. You can water drop or heat treat if you need them harder. There is nothing to be worried about. They aren't released until they have gone through the proper cool down period. They started reusing them so there are a lot less available these days.

Boolit Buddy
    Pencil test works. Went by local scrap yard and they XRF checked those footballs. 99.80% lead so pure lead. Explains why the ones I have didn't check out like everybody else's. by the way, the scrap yard is paying $0.51 per pound lol
    Last edited by n10sivern; 10-19-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Boolit Master

I bought some locally a few years ago and paid $1.00 lb, you did real good! Definitely buy it all and toss in a pizza or doughnuts too!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Great stuff. I mean it's no good, I'll take it off your hands for no charge.

I've tried pumping the nuke med delivery guys for information at the hospitals in my city. They say the isolead gets sold to a scrap yard, but I couldn't nail down where. Someday I'll follow up on that investigation.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Well now I have a steady source of pure lead. I just need a good supply of antimony to mix with it

Moderator Emeritus

I would be bringing those guys a case of beer! And pizza! 50 cents a pound is a great price! I will have to check my stash, I may have 20 pounds of foundry type I can part with... and I know I need more pure lead.