Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady vs Dillon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Regarding the new auto index Hornady L'nL; will it accept Lee dies -- I think Lee has started making thier dies longer -- right? This is a wierd question; but black powder folks are a bit off the beaten path; will the Hornady accomodate two powder measures (again Lee Pro-Auto Disc) so that powder and filler can dropped progressively?

How about the case feeder? Is it reliable? It is costly.

prs
    I use older Lee dies (yes it would be nice if they were longer) but they work. As far as two measures, yup, it would work, I don't use the Hornady measure, I use the Lee Pro Auto Disc with a powder thru expander die and the Lee crimp die and there is an extra station, so yes it would work fine for that. Wow imagine if you were into duplex loads! BOOOOOM

I use about half and half, Lee dies and a mixture of RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman dies, all seem to do fine in my LNL.

The case feeder is expensive. My sweet wife gave me one for Christmas about 5 years ago. It was easy to hook up, except I had to purchase a "retro-fit" kit, because my LNL was made in the 2nd year they were manufactured (serial number is 0030XX). Once on, it has worked trouble free ever-since. Although I do only use it for .38s (cuz that's what I reload 80% of the time).

Like I said earlier, I just purchased a new LNL to compliment my old one. This (new) one will be used for large primer reloading. Looking at it, I can see that it would be a breeze to hook up the case feeder with no additional parts needed.

I use the Lee Pro-Auto Disc for alot of my reloading (I have several, and I keep them set for designated loads), however I don't know about 2 fitting on at once...maybe if they were spaced with at least one station between them.
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayoot View Post
    Sorry Buddy, I think the Dillion is a great machine, but even the RL550B costs quite a bit more for caliber conversion than the Hornady.
    OK lets see

Dillon RL550B 9x19 conversion $41 from Brian Enos, $24.50 for a powder die and tool head....total $65.50

The Hornady shellplate is $29.99 retail at grafs, the lock and load bushings(you would commonly use 4 I think?) are $3.63 each...total...$44.51

So ya I guess the RL550B is 32% more expensive to convert, it's not strictly apples/apples because your buying die parts to convert the Dillon, the Dillon shellplate is about the same price as a Hornady shellplate.

For some things like 45 colt ON the RL550B if you already have 45 acp and 44 magnum conversions all you need IS a shellplate as you use the powder funnel from 45 acp and the buttons from 44 magnum(as I recall)

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    And now we know why Baskin Robbins has more than one flavor and us GMC fans think Ford suck!! I have two Dillons and can not say nothing bad about the customer service. I broke the powder resvoir on one and told them I did so. No problem; sent me a new one at NC. Be happy with what you have and let the other guy do the same. Maybe some day he will come over and maybe he won't. Now you really want to open up a hornets nest ? Let's talk about football. Take care and ejoy life; and agree to disagree. Later
    Now you're talkin'

GO BLUE

Boolit Master

When a Lock N Load owner has their press that was destroyed in a fire replaced by Hornady, I'll take my fingers out of my ears .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    When a Lock N Load owner has their press that was destroyed in a fire replaced by Hornady, I'll take my fingers out of my ears .

Bill
    Yes no issues there, but thats why you pay the extra for Dillon.

I'm already paying for that cover in my house insurance so I don't want to pay for it twice with Dillon.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    If you have a fire that destroys your press, you've probably got a lot more to worry about that getting a replacement press. Not, nor ever will be a concern for me.

OK lets see

Dillon RL550B 9x19 conversion $41 from Brian Enos, $24.50 for a powder die and tool head....total $65.50

The Hornady shellplate is $29.99 retail at grafs, the lock and load bushings(you would commonly use 4 I think?) are $3.63 each...total...$44.51

So ya I guess the RL550B is 32% more expensive to convert, it's not strictly apples/apples because your buying die parts to convert the Dillon, the Dillon shellplate is about the same price as a Hornady shellplate.

For some things like 45 colt ON the RL550B if you already have 45 acp and 44 magnum conversions all you need IS a shellplate as you use the powder funnel from 45 acp and the buttons from 44 magnum(as I recall)

Bill
    It's not a big difference, but for the record, you only use 3 LNL bushings for handguns and 2 for rifles. However, if you wanted to really economize (and give up the quick change advantage) then you would not need to purchase any LNL bushings, because you can swap them between dies.

Then your cost to change calibers would only be $29.99 because you would only need to purchase a shell plate.

Of course, then you have to re-adjust your dies each time you change them, just like you would if you were operating on a single stage press.

Bill
    Wouldn't you need to purchase the die plate/carrier (I'm not sure of the terminology here)? If you don't, then you would have to re-adjust the dies each time, just like on a single stage press.

Or am I missing something? (Sure wouldn't be the first time!)
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cayoot View Post
    It's not a big difference, but for the record, you only use 3 LNL bushings for handguns and 2 for rifles. However, if you wanted to really economize (and give up the quick change advantage) then you would not need to purchase any LNL bushings, because you can swap them between dies.

Then your cost to change calibers would only be $29.99 because you would only need to purchase a shell plate.

Of course, then you have to re-adjust your dies each time you change them, just like you would if you were operating on a single stage press.

Wouldn't you need to purchase the die plate/carrier (I'm not sure of the terminology here)? If you don't, then you would have to re-adjust the dies each time, just like on a single stage press.

Or am I missing something? (Sure wouldn't be the first time!)

The dies all screw into what they call a "toolhead"(costs 16 bucks)...I did calculate that into my price for conversion, but like the LNL bushings you COULD do without it if you were willing to reset the dies each time, I did think about doing that using a height gauge and a surface plate...or making a jig that used a 1" or 2" travel indicator for setups that are not used as often. Just write down the projection amount from the tool head for each die.

The nuts and bolts of what I was getting at is that Hornady and Dillon RL550B SHELLPLATES are just about the same price....and the other parts of the conversion kit make it more expensive....buttons and a powder funnel (actually an inside neck expander, but Dillon calls it a powder funnel).

I was mistaken about the prices, it was good research to look it up, I'm thinking now that I had priced maybe RCBS piggyback caliber conversion once and it was more than RL550B ??

Used conversions sell quite readily on Ebay if they come in blue boxes, not sure on the red box stuff, it might do just as well maybe.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    The L-N-L is comparable to the 650 Dillon, in everything except price. Don't forget the free bullets deal that comes from Hornady.

Boolit Master

Hornady is a licensed copy od the Dillon!

In Remebrance

I found a bunch of videos on U-tube showing the Dillon and Hornady in action. I can't see much real difference in speed and ease of operation. Either one works fine from what I see. At this point the Hornady is a far better value price wise. We'll see if I can make a decision.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I found a bunch of videos on U-tube showing the Dillon and Hornady in action. I can't see much real difference in speed and ease of operation. Either one works fine from what I see. At this point the Hornady is a far better value price wise. We'll see if I can make a decision.

You've got the the bottom line there Bret.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    "Hornady is a licensed copy od the Dillon!"

You Sir, obviously do not have a clue. The only thing similar between the two is the primer system and that only because they're both tube feed. Other than that, the two brands share practically nothing in design of the presses. Different auto advance mechanism, different shell holding mechanisms, different cartridge ejection, different powder measures, different powder measure systems and different methods of die change out systems.

Regards,

Dave

Used conversions sell quite readily on Ebay if they come in blue boxes, not sure on the red box stuff, it might do just as well maybe.

Bill
    Now that you bring up Ebay (which I had not factored in, but it is an important component of cost for most people), I do believe the Dillion 550 would be less expensive. So I think, over all, you were correct in your first assumption.

The Dillion is much more prevalent than the Hornaday, and all kinds of parts (for the Dillion) are easily available on Ebay. Including some very interesting custom made parts and gadgets.

That is something that should be considered when someone is trying to make a choice.

Really sort of levels the playing field

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Ebay doesn't really level the playing field. Most reloading equipment on Epay goes for about as much or more used as it is sold for new. You won't find any bargains there. Looks good, until you follow a few auctions to the very end and see the results. I did so trying to buy several items. Never could find a bargain over six months. Most stuff can be bought from dealers cheaper than what it goes for on epay.

On the plus side, any brand of reloading equipment sells really well there.

Dave

Boolit Master

Honestly I price shop a LOT on Evilbay.

I just bought a Smith oxy-acet torch set on Ebay new in the box for $215.00 that was on SALE at a local welders supply place for $264.00(normal price $299). And that was a buy it now price with FREE Fedex shipping from an Ebay store. There ARE some good deals on buy it now stuff.

I guess what I was saying on the press conversions is that they hold their value, I shopped Ebay for a 45 colt one one which is a popular caliber right now and the used ones sell like hotcakes. I will probably just buy a new one from Brian Enos or Grafs (actually all I need is the shellplate).

I do not consider I paid a dime extra for my RL550B.

I bought mine from Brian Enos actually because he is a BIT cheaper than MSRP and I could call him on the phone and talk about the options. Found out he was originally from Dayton, OH while I was talking to him. Some of the Ebay stuff may be cheaper, but you really have to be an INFORMED buyer and make sure you know what you are bidding on, Ebay was the first place I ever saw Dillon RL550B packages that did not include (1) conversion with the press.

I bought (2) sets of Hornady New Dimension dies when I bought the RL550B...44 mag and 9x19....they suck in my opinion, first pistol dies I ever saw that you cannot readily remove the expander plug to measure it or alter it ??

I think I will stick to Hornady BULLETS, and stick to BLUE(Dillon) and GREEN(RCBS and Redding) reloading equipment .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player