MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Which Lead round ball Diameter does fit perfectly into an 20 gauge shotshell wad?

Which Lead round ball Diameter does fit perfectly into an 20 gauge shotshell wad?

Hi there,

I have an question.
    Does anyone know for sure which Lead round ball Diameter does fit perfectly into an 20 gauge shotshell Plastik wad-cup?

My Mossberg 500 20 ga Turkey THUG shotgun is arriving shortly (I hope so) and I planned preparing rounds for it like an Lead Round ball as slug. It will be a Kind of Musketball round.
    I understand the shotgun is nothing else than an modern musket.

I already ordered an Lee .562" round ball mold and it has arrived already today with my other Lee molds (105 grain SWC .358"; 120 grain Truncated Cone .356" and 148 grain WC .358" Diameter; all are Elmer Keith style bullet molds lube grooves). Is this .562" Diameter round ball the best Fitting or which one is best for 20 gauge?
    The Lee 7/8 oz Drive key slug is perfectly Fitting in an 12 ga shotshell cup-wad.

Please share if anyone knows from personal experience.

One more question.

This .562" Diameter round ball will it have some use in 12 gauge as a Kind of Tri-ball round (or 2 ball round)?

Like I put 2 or 3 of These lead .562" Diameter into the wad (Cup) of an 12 ga 2 3/4 Shell and use it as such for hunting or defense.

Will that work?

UPDATE on molds:
    Today these Lee molds arrived (at Southamerica): 120 grain TC .356", .562" Round Ball (for 20 ga or possible Triball in 12 ga), 105 grain SWC .358" and 148 grain WC .358" all being Elmer Keith style lube grooves.

I've had alot of success with the LEE .575 round ball in a BPI trap commander wad, if you search this forum you will find a ton of info on this subject, never toyed with the .562 but you got my attention, anyways good luck with your endeavor, I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the help you'll get from the fine folks at CAST BOOLITS. HC

Dear hatcreek, Thank you for responding!

As reward for this thread start I got a warning from moderators at Cast Boolits saying "second time banned". I do not know what is going on. The members are very Ok but the moderators definetely pursue an certain agenda (in my experience). This kind of stuff never happens to me at The Firing Line or AR15 (I am sure for mentioning TFL and AR15 they will ban me for the 3rd time).

Did you use the .575 round ball in an 20 gauge shotgun or 12 gauge? Is there a chance to use it as an duo ball or tri ball in 12 gauge? How fits it an 20 ga cup?

My Lee .565 round ball drops perfectly into my 12 ga wads, either alone or with some buckshot.
    There is room for 2 but I was a bit concerned with raising pressures with a 2 ball load. Same is true of the 20 ga, which I am soon to test using brass hulls, smokeless ammo and that .565 round ball.

What I did was take my digital calipers and measured the bore at the muzzle. I got .585 and went just a little smaller just to be on the safe side. At the time I was thinking I'd be shooting those in my early 70's era Rem 870 Wingmaster with a tight choke. Did not want to screw it up.

Since then I found a bargain on a nice H&R single shot 20ga which is going to be my wife's shotgun. Modified choke so lots of room. Ball may rattle around a little but at inside the house ranges I doubt it will matter. Outside the house I am more likely to grab any one of several rifles that will shoot rings around a punkin ball.

But I grew up in shotgun area for deer hunting and have harvested several with that 870 20 ga so I know exactly what they will and won't do.

The only true way to be sure is to shoot it. Then make adjustments if needed.

Dear Sir Ghosthawk,

How can it be an .565" diameter round ball will fit "perfectly" in the the wads of an 12 ga and 20 ga? In this case the Lee 7/8 oz drive key slug will fit as well an 20 ga but it does NOT.

The 20 ga is considerably smaller as the 12 ga.

Please explain...