Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out Of A Large Caliber Rifle In The 375 H&H - 416 Rigby Range

Boolit Grand Master

Talk Me Out Of A Large Caliber Rifle In The 375 H&H - 416 Rigby Range

I was recently looking through articles online and saw one talking about the 375 H&H which led to the 375 Ruger which led to the 416 Rigby etc and suddenly buying one seemed like a good idea to me as I've never had one that size. I saw a couple of Ruger No. 1's in 375 and 416 online but I really like the CZ 550 African.

Talk me out of buying one in that large of a caliber. Maybe hard to cast for? Find brass for? Uses too much powder?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    They both can loaded down to 38/55 and 41mag range with boolits to extend their usefulness.! So I think you should get which ever one shows up 1st.. Todd/3leg

Perma-Banned
    Okay. Don't do it! now you're on yer own.

I have a 375 Weatherby Magnum (improved capacity H&H) - my only complaint is the amount of powder it uses (88 grains per shot in full power load) to move that 300 SMK to 2850 fps. It does kick and you can down load it and the cases are more expensive than others I shoot - but I haven't gotten rid of it (even though it killed a couple of scopes before I put the Leupold on it). I'd say go for it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Unless you are going to hunt African game, don't do it. You will get beaten up, and develop a major flinch.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and love it. Easy to shoot, accurate, and good for anything in North America. The minimum for most dangerous game in Africa. Don't shoot it much anymore however.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a CZ550 in 416 Rigby. I really enjoy playing with it. I do warn people outside of forums such as this to look at ammo prices before considering calibers in this range. With cast bullets however it is not expensive to shoot.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    I think my Rigby eats 108 grains of powder per boom. It is a pretty big boom though, so whatever.. If you don't have a ton of big bore rifle experience, the .375 H&H will probably keep you entertained for a long time. It's no slouch, and a very versatile caliber. I have one in a Ruger #1 that I like quite a bit.

Boolit Master

ditto shooter2, will take anything on the planet and can be loaded down for chucks and squirrels...

Perm-Banned
    their was several years ago a gunsmith that made long distance rifles. he also made 416 rigby rifles for the navy seals to test. he made the bullets out of pure brass on a small good lathe. it out shot the 50 cal sniper rifle by 16 ft at 1200 yards in dropping and shot tighter groups at that range. then he suddenly developed a brain tumor and passed in 3 months thus ending his sniper seal team rifles. just before he died he took a elk at 1725 yards. get the 416 rigby, it is a wonderment and really something you can develop to what you want. get a quality rangefinder when you get the gun, you will need it, as you got the creme de le creme of rifles.

Boolit Master

The 375 H&H is an "across the pond" rifle for those puny Englishman - Look for an American man's rifle, the 378 Weatherby with no damn muzzle break. Had one for 35 years - recoil increases as the rifle ages.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a set of 375H&H dies I'll make you a deal on and a few 300 H&H brass too. Also a set of 338 WM . You should have 1 for sure .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Would you like to see my shoulder x-rays?
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Banned

the 375449 is wonderful in the 375 H&H.
    it even works on top of 2400 [but so does my 375 Winchester]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I was recently looking through articles online and saw one talking about the 375 H&H which led to the 375 Ruger which led to the 416 Rigby etc and suddenly buying one seemed like a good idea to me as I've never had one that size. I saw a couple of Ruger No. 1's in 375 and 416 online but I really like the CZ 550 African.

Talk me out of buying one in that large of a caliber. Maybe hard to cast for? Find brass for? Uses too much powder?
    Don't even think about it! Get it!

I have a CZ in 458 Lott, it's very nice, accurate, safari sites, great wood, heavy enough to keep it manageable.

375 is my favorite medium/big bore caliber, as I have 4 or 5 & as said above, they can be loaded down for deer & up for elephant.
    Shoots as flat as an 06 & smacks like a truck. I also have 416 RemMag but I think they & the various 45 cals are really more suited for african bad boys. Although, I do sometines take a .458 on brown bear hunts, as a screw up gun when one is wounded & you have to go in the alder after it. That's not to say the 375 isn't just fine but on pissed off griz, you can't be over gunned.

In North America, I think it's the perfect moose, bear & elk gun.

And, in response, to the "hard recoil" statement, the 375 is actually rather easy to shoot. It is a tapered case with no overbore & it's more a push, than slap, recoil wise. 250 & 270gr bullets are fairly easy on you & 300s, not bad. I have 2 with breaks & 2 or 3 without & the recoil on the ones w/o is not at all severe. Then again I have around 6 416-450 Watts caliber guns, so not all that recoil sensitive.

But, to reiterate, the 375 is not bad.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 375 H&H pistol, most fun gun I have to shoot!

Boolit Master

You will love either the 375 H&H or the 416 Rigby. I say get them both and then you can spend the next 10 years trying to decide which one you like the best. I would get it in a bolt action if given the chance. Casting for it and only shooting cast boolits is the way to go. Literally mild to wild.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

I own a 375, 416 Rig and a 458 Lott. The 375 doesn't slap you likema 338, it's move of a push. The 458 Lott is very verssital (sp) from mild to wild. Had a friend with a 458 win mag. I shot alot of 400+ grainers out of it with 18.0 of unique and iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Unless you are going to hunt African game, don't do it. You will get beaten up, and develop a major flinch.
    Ruger #3 in 45-70 with "MAX" loads hurt way worse than my 10 1/2 pound 375 Weatherby Rifle.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Current production Winchester Safari Express model 70 in 375 H&H.