Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Rubs... Care to Share Your Recipe?

Boolit Master
    Yeah I agree, don't turn up the heat on brisket, you'll just cook the fat out and make it tough. Ribs and chicken are more forgiving.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Dry rub, Granulated garlic,onions,chili powder and bit of everything in the spice rack,drawer.Toast the garlic,chili powder and onion in dry skillet and add anything or everything you have. Mother owned 2 steak houses in Bay Area of CA she would take remaining small amounts of whatever was nearly gone and dump in her dry rub.No salt,it was applied to the meat at the time of preparing."I don't want as much salt on my fish as I do on my beef and lamb". Always evolving and wonderful flavor, Emril Lagasse does something similar but Mom has been doing it longer.

Boolit Master
    Huntsman52 has obviously been doing this a while.

While I've been smoking meats and vegetables for about 10 years, I've only done 4 or 5 briskets. Because I do a packer's cut brisket which means about a 14 hr. smoke they're hard to fit into the schedule. Also uses up a fair amount of wood.
    With a few slight changes, I follow a similar procedure to Huntsman52. Usually buy my brisket from a local meat market or from Costco. They sell a very reasonably priced "Prime" Packer's Cut.

I'll be smoking a goose and a turkey for Thanksgiving, then probably a goose and a duck at Christmas. Have to do at least 2 geese each year to render enough goose grease to use in our other cooking endeavors.
    About 2 years ago, Mary suggested that I use goose grease to fry potatoes; been doing it ever since. This old dog is always open to learning new tricks.
    Mrs. smokeywolf also uses goose grease for much of her stir frying. We keep a 1-1/2 pint Mason jar of goose grease in the fridge. She uses bacon grease when she stir fries asparagus, garlic and bacon together.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I've done two of the Costco briskets in the oven of the kitchen stove. They were o.k.--but would have been so much better with you fellows' rubs!
    I'll bet I could turn out a decent one on (in) the Weber Kettle also, but just like 14 hours would take a lot of wood, it would take a lot of charcoal. But I could get the smoke flavor by tossing in a few apple wood or mesquite chips a couple of times. There are some great experiments coming up!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow! Now that seems really different--the cinnamon and curry. What is the sauce you mention?
    Usually Sweet Baby Ray's which you should be able to find in the stores.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

My basic is very simple.....

garlic powder, season salt and lemon pepper as a dry rub for beef on the grill. If I'm stir frying for philly sandwiches, I'll chunk in a bit of herbs de province.

chicken for the grill is usually a short marinade: 2/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup vinegar, garlic powder, season salt, lemon pepper, basil, oregano, rosemary. Not far from a homemade Italian dressing. Normally only marinades for 1-2 hrs, at most.

for pork, i'll basically use the chicken marinade, but add thyme, sometimes sage...or some marjoram.

for deer tenderloin; it's diet coke, dale's seasoning (kind of a souped up Worcestershire for those not in the south) and Mrs. Dash table blend seasoning. This is a short, maybe 1-2 hr. marinade. Any longer and it becomes quite salty. Heavenly....but can't claim as my own!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

Costco has a rib rub that works well on beef. It isn't too sweet and I add a little garlic and lemon pepper. I like to have it rest overnight.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    1/3 cup Kosher salt
    2 3/4 TBSP Granulated Garlic

1/4 cup Chilli Powder (wife's secret ingredient) she said have fun finding (chilli) powder. She told me I couldn't give away our family recipe so I had to change something LOL

2 3/4 TBSP Black Pepper
    1/2 TSP White Pepper
    2 TBSP Sweet Paprika (we use Hungarian Sweet Paprika very dark red)
    1/2 TSP Cayenne pepper (red)

Makes about a cup of rub
    This is not real hot, so pepper to taste.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

since ive found montreal steak seasoning I don't even bother making my own. A little of it, some onion powder and garlic powder and its as good as anything ive ever tried and ive tried ALOT of them.

Banned

Yes and Omaha steak seasoning is even better. Too much salt is wrong.
    I have not made brisket since I am not paid for the night shift. We want to eat the same day. 6 hours is brutal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    since ive found montreal steak seasoning I don't even bother making my own. A little of it, some onion powder and garlic powder and its as good as anything ive ever tried and ive tried ALOT of them.
    HA! I use a lot of montreal steak seasoning as well, one of our favorite blends and quick to use. Makes great fried potato seasoning with a dash of lawrys as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Yes and Omaha steak seasoning is even better. Too much salt is wrong.
    I have not made brisket since I am not paid for the night shift. We want to eat the same day. 6 hours is brutal.
    I'll have to look for omaha steak seasoning next time I need some. I'm the same on brisket, it is quite tasty I just don't want to baby sit the pit for 16-18hrs to do it right. Whenever we go get bbq at work I'll order brisket, but at home I stick to chicken or ribs that can be done in a reasonable amount of time.
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 10-05-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks Yall!

Banned

yup I put it on about any meat. Even use it as an ingredient in my sausage making. I too have never tried Omaha seasoning. I will take care of that real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    HA! I use a lot of montreal steak seasoning as well, one of our favorite blends and quick to use. Makes great fried potato seasoning with a dash of lawrys as well.

I'll have to look for omaha steak seasoning next time I need some. I'm the same on brisket, it is quite tasty I just don't want to baby sit the bit for 16-18hrs to do it right. Whenever we go get bbq at work I'll order brisket, but at home I stick to chicken or ribs that can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm lazy, I buy the premix from the folks that win awards at BBQ competitions.
    I'm on a BBQ/smoker forum, and have learned a BUNCH about this subject.
    Here's where I shop for rubs; https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/bbq-rubs.html
    That's the general section. There's an additional entire section for "Simply Marvelous" (brand), which I HIGHLY recommend.

My favorites rubs are;
    - Simply Marvelous
    - Slap yo' Daddy
    - 3 Eyz BBQ

Banned

Now THAT is important to us, thanks much.

Boolit Master
    ok...since someone else fessed up, I buy my rub premade too

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/

original + wild game are awesome .

Thanks Yall!

Oh... and some of those rubs come in bags, they don't have shakers.
    So, if you buy things like parmesan cheese in the sprinkle cans, save the cans, as they're perfect for "bulk" rubs.

A few weeks ago, the local grocery store had pork butts on sale for $0.69 a pound. An obscene price, and it's been as high as $3.00.
    So..... I didn't have enough of one kind of rub to get the job done, but I had ten (yes, "10") partial shakers of various rub flavors.
    I mixed them all together and used them as "one flavor".
    The wife is happy there's a whole bunch of empty space that just opened up in the kitchen cabinet.

Boolit Master
    I started out buying my rub. "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" beat "Montreal Steak Seasoning" in my opinion.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

For pork I often use a commercial rub, Smokin' Guns Mild(which has a decent heat level!).

Here in NW FL we have quite a few BBQ Pros, Bad Byron is one, out of Santa Rosa Beach, John is another Champion and Clark is yet another Memphis In May champion, both from Destin.

I have an easy dry rub that I use on Chicken for grilling: 3-2-1 Three parts black pepper, two parts garlic powder and 1 part Cajun Seasoning. I use Tone's seasoning in the big containers from Sam's Club. Mix the seasoning together then put it in a restaurant style shaker. Coat the whole chicken in and out, rub it in, stick chicken, ribs or turkey on a grill at 250 for 4 hours covered. I use a BGE, with a bit of pecan wood without bark.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Grand Master

Mike Mills' Magic Dust Rub

I use this. I added onion powder. Reduced the sugar, substituted chipotle powder for the cayenne, and added more black pepper.
    Tweak it and make it your own. The ingredients shown are the basics for many many rubs.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=10868429

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin