Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Need advice on 311041 pln base for deer in 3006

Need advice on 311041 pln base for deer in 3006

I have a Remington 700 I have set up as my cast boolit gun. Rifle is an older 700 ADL 3006 cut to 20" and recrowned, with tight chamber and great 308 bore. It has a lyman 48c rear and Thompkins globe front. I am using an old Weaver 1.5 to 4.5 for load development and hunting. Good scope.

Bullet is a Lee 6 cavity 311041 plain base and sized .310 of water quenched WW and have my Lyman 450 set up to set a much larger meplat. With this boolit my best OAL is 2.945 for chambering.

Have tried 16 and 17 gr 2400 with good accuracy. Also have IMR4895 and H335.
    No idea as to velocities with no chronograph so what velocity can I expect with these 2400 loads and would they be adequate for deer. Would 18 gr 2400 be more realistic? Ranges would vary from 50 yd to 100 yd.

I realize that your thoughts on velocity would be an educated guess.

Thanks for your advice.

seabreeze
    Last edited by seabreeze133; 09-23-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Master

17gn of 2400 gave me 1550fps.
    I used a gas checked lee 311041 style with lla.

Ruger american predator .308
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

WebMonkey

Thanks for the reply.

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Master
    I'd expect WebMonkey to be getting higher velocities from the smaller .308 case Vs your '06 case. I always seem to end up going to a GC design above 1,600 fps.

Banned

I'd not water drop for the lower velocity of the plain base.
    but if you got good accuracy it's hard to mess with things.

Boolit Master
    My 30-06 push my Lyman 311041 to just under 1800 with 20 gr of 2400. My boolits are gas checked and cast 50/50 and kill deer very well.

At the lower velocity mandated by plain base boolits WQWW probably won't expand. If I was going to try it I would detemper the nose per Paco Kelly's method.

Set your boolits nose up in a shallow pan of water covering what rides the bore. Play a propane torch over the nose until you see the color change.

The nose is now AC and the body is WC. Even that may be too hard for the velocity you'll be running.

Expand or not if you put it through the boiler room you will have a dead deer shortly. The blood trail may be skimpy but it won't be very long.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    This deer hunting with cast bullet's is interesting. I'm gonna do it this year for the first time. Plan on taking my 308, Rem 788 w/18" barrel. been trying to find a load for it but wasn't having much luck. Finally checked to bedding, rifle was a gift and I'd never shot it befor. Bedding was pretty bad, high spots in the barrel and the action had a bind in it. Took it down and re-did the bedding. Got some stuff loaded to try in it. 180 gr Lee bullet, Herter 120 primer and 32-33 grs of varget. Out to try it this afternoon. Taking along my 30-06 for a back up rifle. jaeger 1903 Springfield. Shoot's the same bullet into 1 1/2" at 100 yds; good enough for my needs as a don't plan on shooting much over that. It will use the same bullet and chronographed at 1800 fps. If it wasn't for cast bullet's I would not hunt deer. I've killed a ton of them with jacketed bullet's. Thinking about getting a 200 gr 30 cal mold. Anyone using that bullet in a 308 or 30-06?

Banned

I'd back the varget down a couple of grains, and use a filler.
    try about 29-30 and a tuft of Dacron.
    the filler will settle the load down and remove velocity variations [it should tighten groups up] and will allow you to shoot up or down hill with the same velocity.
    it will make your 0-6 and 308 pretty much the same gun.