Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Ka-boom 300 BO style (not a castboolit)

Spring on the Fp was a fix for AKs going auto. Looks like the poster has a couple short fingers from before! Light oil on the BCG only. Good reason to use US on it. Cotter pin is heck to get back in.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Spring on the Fp was a fix for AKs going auto. Looks like the poster has a couple short fingers from before! Light oil on the BCG only. Good reason to use US on it. Cotter pin is heck to get back in.
    I see fingernails, so maybe that is just the camera angle.

Boolit Master
    I have not had a slam fire with the wifes ar(mine is still Being built). But it looks like he never kept up on PM, my wife goes 150 to 250rds before either I or she cleans it, and since 90% of her ammo is my reloads she has not had an issue. However I dont load anywhere near max and use my lyman case gauge constantly. I do the same with my M1. I have had one slam fire in my SKS but it was due to a 200+ run of tulammo then 20 of federal, but a quick cleaning got her back up in running for the rest of the range day

Boolit Master
    +1 on the poster who mentioned thick case necks - I can certainly see how that could happen when starting with LC military brass.
    I sure wouldn't want to run max loads of W296 with that situation.

Banned

An AR CANNOT fire out of battery. He screwed up and does not want to admit it

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes......as soon as it is admitted a handload is used everyone immediately becomes infallible cartridge assemblers and enormously unlikely or impossible events are advanced to explain wrecked guns. Of course it couldn't be the guy making the ammo. Let's claim it was caused by something less likely than a lightning strike to explain it, shall we?

Of course no one ever screws up reloading so we must invoke the impossible or enormously improbable to explain it.

As has been said many times before.....if a handload was involved, very safe money says the handload caused it.

An AR CANNOT fire out of battery Total BS. Please QUIT passing that BS around!!!!
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Just for my own edification, what condition would allow an AR to fire out of battery. The firing pin cannot reach the bolt face until the lugs have rotated into battery by the cam pin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Just for my own edification, what condition would allow an AR to fire out of battery. The firing pin cannot reach the bolt face until the lugs have rotated into battery by the cam pin.
    Debris on bolt face (rare), damaged or missing cam pin, bad feed issue resulting in bolt hitting primer, high primers, and as I mentioned goofball modifications to the bolt. Oh, and excess heat if you're running one of those stupid bump fire stocks and you have a cookoff.

If it's clean (no metal shavings), hasn't been inexpertly modified, and you didn't oopsie your ammo, and you haven't tried to make a rifle into a belt-fed MG, then it is nearly impossible.

FP protrusion thru the bolt is limited by the bolt length. The cam pin ONLY captures the FP with the edge of the FP hole. Stack up prod. tolerances and BANG. If you consider the FP of ~ 100gr., thats 100 ft-# of energy. No I haven't weighed the FP but you get the idea. It CAN happen.
    edit: Apologies if I came across too harsh but the comment is like saying no gun can go off unless the trigger is deliberately pulled or you measure never throws light or heavy. It is a hazardous statement. Always assume Murphy is around.
    Last edited by popper; 09-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Sure looks like an out of battery discharge to me.
    And yes, an AR platform can fire out of battery.
    It rarely happens, but is does happen.
    Gregg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    An AR CANNOT fire out of battery Total BS. Please QUIT passing that BS around!!!!
    The ONLY way it can is if the FP is stuck out. The BS is people that think it can. It was a case head failure or he loaded it too hot. plain and simple. No one wants to admit they screwed up. But this person did. The only way it COULD have is if something was broken or jammed. Then the cause was NOT a out of battery firing it was the broken part. The AR CANNOT fire out of battery if everything is working as designed

Show me ONE case of proven AR firing out of battery

Boolit Master

So, *if* everything is working the way it is supposed to, an AR cannot fire out of battery.

Thus, if it fired out of battery, then everything was *not* working the way it was supposed to.

Caca pasa...

I know for a fact that a slam fire can occur, because I've had it happen to me. Most likely, it was a case of a proud primer and using Federal pistol primers.

Boolit Master
    I had a navy .45 auto empty the mag when i dropped the slide. The slide was closed and hammer down on anempty chamber. I have beetold by "experts" that it can NOThappen. But it did!

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to know how the 45 could fire on a empty chamber ? Or are you saying all the rounds fired and the slide closed with the hammer down ? The slide always stays open on the last shot with the hammer back.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    So, *if* everything is working the way it is supposed to, an AR cannot fire out of battery.

Thus, if it fired out of battery, then everything was *not* working the way it was supposed to.

Caca pasa...

I know for a fact that a slam fire can occur, because I've had it happen to me. Most likely, it was a case of a proud primer and using Federal pistol primers.
    Note you caused it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Note you caused it.
    Well, that goes back to the "*if* everything is working the way it is supposed to"... Obviously, *I* was not working the way I was supposed to...

Boolit Master
    Mmm, humans, the weak link in any chain...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    When I talk with some of the folks out at the range it just amazes me that there aren't more eyes and fingers lost than there are. Gp Oh yah, I post one the facebook page some. Some pretty good folks there but a lot of New B's

Boolit Bub
    It always concerns me when people on some pages brag about how they assembled hundreds of rounds in just 1 day, because that sounds like quite a bit to keep tabs on to me. Of course, it could just be me going slower, but I've never made that many at one time.