Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas check price question????

Boolit Master
    I don't have to go back near that far. I remember buying a brick of CCI for $18 a week before Sandy Hook. They were powerful enough to operate my 1911 conversions.

Boolit Master
    Hornady gas checks $40 per 1000 for 44 cal and $30 per 1000 for 30 cal. at the local store. I guess I will not be putting those on my bullets.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    I just add a box of checks to most of the orders I make. I like to dollar cost average my reloading supplies, lol.

I have had good luck with both the NOE Gator gas checks and the Hornady. The Gator checks from NOE be a whole lot better prices. $24 per 1000 vs. $31 per 1000 Hornady for 30 caliber checks. In 44 it is $31 vs $38.50 so roughly 7.50 more for the name brands from Midway that seem to work the same as the Gator checks from NOE.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I went to using Hornady's a long time go.[they shot better groups in my Garand] before many here were born.

Cleaning boxes in my room found a 1/2 used box of Lyman 30's They were the gold colored no crimp on.

Price tagged "Ivanhoe's" which was a gun shop in Watertown MA. Priced $7.49 this was a black and white stripped Lyman box.

Banned

I too never understood why Lyman and Hornady GC's had such a wide price difference.

don't forget, I sell GC's too, copper ones, at a pretty decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by msinc View Post
    Lyman 44 caliber gas checks are $61.99 for a box of 1000 at Midway...
    Just priced Lyman 44 gas checks at my local dealer - $AU127/1000, that is just insane.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

I just priced them at Blammersboard.com for $29 1,000 of 44 cal shipping not included.. Usually flat rate box of $7 in USA, and out of USA is whatever the cheapest shipping is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I just priced them at Blammersboard.com for $29 1,000 of 44 cal shipping not included.. Usually flat rate box of $7 in USA, and out of USA is whatever the cheapest shipping is.
    If that ends up being the lowest available price for quality gas checks I will pay it but with primers being cheaper, I just don't get it. A primer is more complicated, includes four components one of which is an explosive and they have to be assembled and they are cheaper than your gas checks.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Somebody ought to do a statistical study some time. I would guess that out of 1000 shooters, probably around 100 reload. Of that 100, maybe 50 make their own boolits/bullets. Of the 50, probably 35 only shoot plain base, eg, for pistols. Of the 15 left, maybe 14 shoot gas checks for rifle or pistol and one swages. These are just ballpark figures, taken from my observations of shooting and reloading around me. But it might illustrate how primers and jacketed or commercial cast bullets would be a volume business compared to gas checks or bullet jackets. Even bullet jackets could be thought of as excess production for commercial bullets, but gas checks are in a category by themselves.

I'm glad to see the small entrepreneurs who make gas checks and tooling for them coming to the fore. That will be the only competition that keeps the big operations from pricing themselves right out of the market.

Boolit Grand Master

Gas check price question????

I would say 10% of shooters reloading is high. And 50% of them casting/swaging is really high. Both of them are in single digits. I highly doubt more than 5% of reloaders cast/swage their own.

As to why the high price? Economy of scale. Primers are as cheap as they are because they make hundreds of millions of them. Not so w/ gas checks. It's a small market w/ small margins. Just look at the cost of swaging versus reloading dies. While not an apples to apples comparison it shows how a smaller volume commands more money.

I don't want to know how much I've spent on tooling and aluminium. The fact that I'm self sufficient is what matters to me. I've bought from Blammer and can highly recommend his checks. They are very high quality.

Boolit Buddy
    Do Blammer's checks attach as securely as Hornady checks? I've never used Blammer checks before and they are competitively priced.

Banned

yes they do. They are good crimp on checks.

In Remembrance
    Gator checks (Blammer, NOE, Sage's) are better than Hornady! Larry has increased his metal thickness on a variety of calibers and made his checks superior to Hornady and they are cheaper!
    James Sage

Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    Do Blammer's checks attach as securely as Hornady checks? I've never used Blammer checks before and they are competitively priced.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the process of switching over from Hornady to Gator checks. They seem to install better on the boolits I've used them for. Haven't seen any performance difference.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    This is Free shipping within the US
    If for some reason you dont like them, just return and I will gladly refund your money.
    www.bulletgaschecks.com

.30 cal Aluminum, 16.50 Copper, 22.00
    8mm/.32 Aluminum 20.00, Copper 23.00
    .35/.357/.38 Aluminum 19.00 Copper 24.00
    7mm Aluminum 19.00, Copper 22.00
    6.5mm Aluminum 18.00, Copper 19.50
    25 cal. Aluminum 18.00 Copper 19.50
    6mm Aluminum 16.00 Copper 17.00
    .22 Aluminum 14.00 Copper 18.00
    .44 Aluminum 19.00
    .45 Aluminum 24.00

Per 500 Gas Checks:
    .44 Copper 19.00
    .45 Copper 19.00

All the best!
    Gavin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wind power View Post
    This is Free shipping within the US
    If for some reason you dont like them, just return and I will gladly refund your money.
    www.bulletgaschecks.com

.30 cal Aluminum, 16.50 Copper, 22.00
    8mm/.32 Aluminum 20.00, Copper 23.00
    .35/.357/.38 Aluminum 19.00 Copper 24.00
    7mm Aluminum 19.00, Copper 22.00
    6.5mm Aluminum 18.00, Copper 19.50
    25 cal. Aluminum 18.00 Copper 19.50
    6mm Aluminum 16.00 Copper 17.00
    .22 Aluminum 14.00 Copper 18.00
    .44 Aluminum 19.00
    .45 Aluminum 24.00

Per 500 Gas Checks:
    .44 Copper 19.00
    .45 Copper 19.00

All the best!
    Gavin
    Could you list the inside diameter of your gas checks, Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought 1k 30 and 1k 35 GCs from Gavin.
    It's tough to measure ID of these GCs accurately with my caliper, because they have a sharp 'edge' on the inside to bite into the boolit, but I'll offer this info.

I've used the 35cal alum with the RD TLC359-190-RF, which the GC shank measures .343(with a mic), they are a snug fit, but I'm able to seat them with finger pressure...Just like I like 'em.

I haven't used the 30's (also alum) yet. But I will say I had hoped they would fit my MP311-180 SIL which has a oversized GC shank...I tried a few of Gavin's GCs...they don't fit. I measured the ID of the GC best I could with caliper .281

Hope that helps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I just seen a main UK dealer wanting £77.80 for the 44 and 45 Lyman checks.

That's $102.86 today.

Soon, they will be worth more than their weight in Gold, if they are not already

Gator, and home-made check-tool vendors seem the only sane option now.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a 100 yard group of 4 (the big holes) I made just 5 hours ago, with my Marlin 1894 in 41 Mag, a cast boolit from NOE and a Pat Marlin 0.007" thick Aluminum home-made check. William Receiver iron sights. The groups normally go sub-MOA but was stinky hot today and none of us could keep our barrels cool.

Home-made gas checks do not have to compromise. Just get the fit right with the right thickness metal sheet, and seat them dead flat.