RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Of David and Goliath .

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Do you agree that David had trust and confidence in his ability to use his sling to kill Goliath ? He had told that he had fought off bears and lions with it ?

Boolit Bub
    You must understand. Samuel had already anointed David to be the next king. The Holy Spirit was on David and with David. The Lord had been preparing David by him fighting bears and lions. How many thirteen year olds do you fighting something like that?

Moderator Emeritus

Amen to all. And Boaz, you're right on it being good to be able to argue these less than clear points without dissension. How else can we really learn than through others' ideas and views? It's edifying and instructive to hear others, and I know I'm unusual these days, but I love hearing others' views, even if I weigh them and still disagree. At least I've thought about them legitimately, and who knows what the future holds? Is there anyone among us who hasn't changed his mind somewhere along the way? I always reserve the right to make a course correction if and when it's clearly needed! What else can any of us do? We're not born knowing all we need to. We have to learn, and that's always a progressive proposition. And thanks for these little Q&A's. The collateral explanations are often the crux of the matter, and a source of further expansion of our understanding. I like that. Need that. Who doesn't?

Boolit Master

The idea of a sling and a rock does not imply that David was under armed, though by the world's standards he was. However in 1 Samuel 17:45 we see where the real power and strength to do this deed came from when he said...."I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel"...So this was to a large extent a spiritual battle. As an aside, the use of a sling during the times of the Old Testament period was a force to be reckoned with. See Judges 20:16 for more on this. A Bible commentary I have says the stone David would have probably chosen would have been smooth, round, baseball size, and thought to have weighed about 1 pound. When flung from a sling the speed approached 100 mph. So when it struck Goliath in the forehead it was going to do some serious damage. Thanks for the above discussion. Studying scripture like this is a great way to learn.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I was slightly deceptive , Smoked turkey and grits you are correct ! David placed no faith in his sling , he placed his faith in GOD . Thank you !

After his battle with Goliath who was sent to bring David to Saul ?

What was David carrying when he went to Saul ?

What was Saul's first question for David ?

On a lighter note. Who remembers this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daveyandgoliath.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	175352
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. — Ephesians 6:12

LOL , actually I do remember it .

1 Samuel 17
    57 As soon as David returned from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul, with David still holding the Philistine’s head.
    58 “Whose son are you, young man?” Saul asked him.
    David said, “I am the son of your servant Jesse of Bethlehem".
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. — Ephesians 6:12

You are correct Pine Baron . Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Amen to all. And Boaz, you're right on it being good to be able to argue these less than clear points without dissension. How else can we really learn than through others' ideas and views? It's edifying and instructive to hear others, and I know I'm unusual these days, but I love hearing others' views, even if I weigh them and still disagree. At least I've thought about them legitimately, and who knows what the future holds? Is there anyone among us who hasn't changed his mind somewhere along the way? I always reserve the right to make a course correction if and when it's clearly needed! What else can any of us do? We're not born knowing all we need to. We have to learn, and that's always a progressive proposition. And thanks for these little Q&A's. The collateral explanations are often the crux of the matter, and a source of further expansion of our understanding. I like that. Need that. Who doesn't?
    I agree except I did not say to argue . It would be a rare thing for me to 'argue' scripture , I do not ARGUE . You are right in that we need to share prospective , insight , experience and thoughts . It strengthens us all .
    My intention is not to press my views on others but let them discover through their own experience with GOD and exploring his holy word.

Moderator Emeritus

Good point. We often don't speak as precisely as we might, and all too often, this is what causes rifts and tiffs. Language is used so capriciously these days, that it's hard to resist following suit, even when we know better sometimes. Thanks for keeping the precision in it all, and FWIW, I agree very much. Can't learn much from those who see exactly as we do, so to learn something, we kind'a HAVE to seek out those who differ, and find out why. Therein lies an expansion of our perceptions, and the more and better we perceive, the more and better we can come to at least general agreement. Or at least that's how I think the Lord intended for us to be and work. Thanks.

If you consider your salvation based on your faith in GOD we are the same . That's where it starts and ends , faith .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting point to the first question. He was the shepard boy because he was the youngest and least significant of the brothers - in his father's eyes. He was almost overlooked and Samuel had to ask Jesse if he had any other sons before he was remembered.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Good point Wayne , hadn't thought of that . As to the insignificant , we worship a carpenter from Galilee . Our Lord always makes from nothing so not surprising ? THANK YOU !
    No turning back , No turning back !