RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arthritis and Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by KAF View Post
    You'll be taking several anti inflamatories,
    I've been on anti-inflammatiories for over 20 years. And I've spent most of this month on the referral-go-round due to heart and kidney problems. According to the cardiologist, both were caused by the anti-inflammatories. And he said that while there are several different types, they *all* cause problems over the long term.

I'd done my "due diligence" and read up on what I was taking when I got the prescriptions, but it never occurred to me to check back every few years and see if new data was available.

Boolit Man

Red face Try Turmeric for arthritis - - -

I went through a laundry list of anti-inflammatory meds and finally settled on Celebrex 100mg once a day.
    I took it for about five years every day that I didn't forget to take all my pills. (CRS syndrome in a 67 year old geezer)
    This July I had four days off for the holiday and forgot to take my pills for two days running.
    Normally this would have crippled me up fairly thoroughly.
    However I had been taking 500mg of Turmeric Curcumin twice a day for several weeks to help with my Diabetes.
    So when I got up on the 4th is was a double Oh Sh_t moment.
    I remembered I had forgotten to take my pills AND I did not hurt noticeably in both shoulders.
    After a bit of thought I discontinued the Celebrex from my daily meds and not taken any since.
    Another benefit, I had quit sleeping on my right side years ago because laying on that side for more than a few minutes in that position just hurt too much to get to sleep.
    Now I can sleep for hours on that side.

Online information has pointed out that black pepper has an ingredient that makes the turmeric easier for the body to absorb and utilize the turmeric. I have not tried this yet, but have some pills on order.

After a bit of searching and comparing I have settled on the Puritan Pride line of turmeric products. But I think the Turmeric is more important than the supplier.

An article on Turmeric:

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

Links to the ones I use or intend to use:

http://www.puritan.com/turmeric-510/tumeric-curcumin-450-mg-015419

http://www.puritan.com/source-natura...-060247?ssl=1&

http://www.puritan.com/turmeric-510/...1000-mg-078826

Just another health food nut?
    Not really, but I know what has worked for me!

YMMV

I hate to hear of your condition too.

Is a crossbow an option for you?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

I feel your pain. My little finger and next one have arthritis setting in from when I cut them off with a chainsaw and the doctor sewed them back on. He told me at the time it would happen and now 15yrs or so later I'm getting it. My knee's are sore quite often from jumping out of perfectly good airplanes with arthritis setting in there too. The joys of getting old I guess.

The above post about black pepper I've read in other places as well as bee stings in the inflammed joints. Capsicum cream is supposed to work very well on joint pain. I started in with that and a few others like MSM and they seem to be working at keeping the pain at bay but it might be all in my head.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I hate to hear of your condition too.

Is a crossbow an option for you?
    I haven't tried. I can't draw a bow much due to a shoulder injury, but I haven't tried a crossbow yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I feel your pain. My little finger and next one have arthritis setting in from when I cut them off with a chainsaw and the doctor sewed them back on. He told me at the time it would happen and now 15yrs or so later I'm getting it. My knee's are sore quite often from jumping out of perfectly good airplanes with arthritis setting in there too. The joys of getting old I guess.

The above post about black pepper I've read in other places as well as bee stings in the inflammed joints. Capsicum cream is supposed to work very well on joint pain. I started in with that and a few others like MSM and they seem to be working at keeping the pain at bay but it might be all in my head.
    I expect to get similar results for my knees and ankles. Walk down the hall and it sounds like popcorn!

Never did parachuting myself, and never could understand it until the first time I flew in an Army bird. Can't blame anyone for jumping out of one of those, they don't even have graffiti on the walls!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have gotten some relief since I have been put on oxygen at night. No idea why, may all be in my mind, if it is phychosomatic it's still welcome.

Whatever works!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I have gotten some relief since I have been put on oxygen at night. No idea why, may all be in my mind, if it is phychosomatic it's still welcome.

Whatever works!
    I had trouble with sleep apnea for a while. Really messed me up during the day. I lost some weight and changed how I sleep, and that seems to have helped. My working theory is that the poor sleep was keeping my body from healing the daily damage, which meant more long-term inflammation. Have you been diagnosed with or checked for sleep apnea?

Boolit Master

first thing is to get in see a doc, get a blood test and see if you have arthritis, and what kind if you do. i have rheumatoid very severe in both wrists. just my experience here, but it has eaten 99% of the cartilidge in both of my wrists. i live in a constant pain i dont think many can imagine. bone on bone all day long, they even hurt when im doing nothing, and i will tell you, you use your hands/wrists more than about any other part of your body. i tell you this not as a woe is me story, but as a reason to get in, find out exactly what is wrong and get it under control. the longer arthritis is allowed to run wild, it will eat your body from the inside out.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    I had trouble with sleep apnea for a while. Really messed me up during the day. I lost some weight and changed how I sleep, and that seems to have helped. My working theory is that the poor sleep was keeping my body from healing the daily damage, which meant more long-term inflammation. Have you been diagnosed with or checked for sleep apnea?
    No I have not, and I am not going to do so. Two TEMAZEPAM 15MG tablets and I sleep like a baby and have done so for years.

What I'm getting from those in the know I've talked to is it puts more oxy in my lower legs thereby healing and lessening the inflamation.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

I had episodes where I would stop breathing as soon as I started to drift off. UTTER PANIC!
    I found Nyquil fixed it. Then I found my allergy doc. I was allergic to everything and walnut trees the worst. Only things that did not bother me was dogs, mold and mildew. I was getting hives in my throat.
    I started the shots and was cured right away but had to take shots for 5 years with adjustments in the serum. Nothing bothers me now and has been near 20 years.
    A friend had asthma and I told her to go see my doc. He actually about cured her. She can breath and sleep. She does not have to carry an inhaler.
    Apnea CAN be an allergy. I was there and to fly out of bed in panic is the worst thing EVER.

Boolit Mold

It's not arthritis but I did have some pretty significant injuries to my right shoulder and right hand a couple years ago. Following the two surgeries my right arm was in a sling and only my thumb and trigger finger were free to move in the cast. Before that I only shot ARs and hand cannons but I really got into rimfire. I went out and bought a 10/22 and a decent rest. Thought a lead sled was overkill for a .22. I loved it! I'd go out to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through that stock rifle and have a great time. In hindsight it was more fun just because I was out at the range with people who have a similar passion for firearms and marksmanship.

That was three years ago, now I'm out of the Army and almost fully recovered but I still love to shoot 22s. Heck I barely shoot my ARs or Sigs anymore. I really enjoying wheel guns now. Thought they were dumb when I was in my 20s.

Just goes to show having to adjust what you shoot and how you shoot isn't always a bad thing. Could open you up to a new passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk