Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Dixie IXL-DGS slug: component or loaded ammo? anyone?

In Remembrance

Dixie IXL-DGS slug: component or loaded ammo? anyone?

Has anyone tried the Dixie IXL-DGS slug, either as a component or the 'loaded ammo' referenced on Dixie's site?
    here: http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html at the bottom

I cant find any link to the ammo (and I admit I haven't called) for purchase on the site; the 'specialized order form' is not active. They seem to be a nice version of my favorite 12ga ammo; heavy full-bore and hard cast.

If you have tried the loaded ammo? (besides; where did you get it?!?!?!) how did it shoot? how was the accuracy? penetration? weight retention?

If you tried the component; where did you get it? and, what load data did you use? how was the performance (accuracy, penetration, etc?) w your load data?

many thanks!
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

I bought some of the DGS slugs from BPI several years ago and great results out of smoothbore. High priced though. Kinda started me on this big lead reloading/casting for shotguns quest and man, look at all the money I've saved!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

RMc would know more, but last I saw, only the Tri-Ball ammunition was available. No components for a long time now.

Boolit Master
    HT the BPI DGS is made by Gualandi and is a fine slug. What C is looking for are thr Dixie made stuff, which are even more Bad### than the BPI stuff. Check the link he posted...

Boolit Grand Master

The only Dixie slug I have tried was the Tusker at 600 grs. Greg Sappington sent me some. Didn't do too well out of my smoothbore but then they are intended for rifled guns and they were a rattle fit in my bore.

If I had a rifled gun I would get Accurate to cut me a mould. I like the Tusker design but Dixie discontinued it.

James sent me a drawing of the predecessor to the IXL-DGS slug but it looked like those brass slug used in Europe with large heavy nose and a deep waist behind then a small disk like tail end. That one did not have the added plastic skirt.

James used to post here regularly. I understand he had some health problems several years ago and I have not seen anything active at Dixie or any posts from him for a long time.

Longbow

In Remembrance

Thanks Guys!
    I was on Dixie again last night, and ordered some more tri-ball. I am comparing my own vs Dixie's, prepping for the newly expanding feral pig population around here.

I those slugs on Dixie's webpage and wondered...

Not that we don't have other options that we have explored on this very forum.

I have also tried the BPI DGS slugs and while I could get an accurate load out of them, they are just swaged lead and I like mine harder.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    The IXL was for smoothbores. It worked pretty Well, eventhough it is Drag Stabilized. We tend to think more along the lines of Weight Foreward, but the IXL doesn't have the sam Balance. According to some Shooters, it is as good as the Terminator but in a smoothbore. The Terminator and Solids will not shoot in smoothbores, although I have heard that my 1043Gr solid works okay.
    I never though it would hit point on, but that is what was reported.

Why the IXL if You have a Rifled Gun? Smoothbore the old Rapine 735600 was good too with the righht Wad Column.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

In Remembrance

Hi Greg,
    Just curiosity more than anything- that and the fact that they are on the Dixie website but unable to be ordered.

I was one of the guys who shot your 1043's out of a smoothbore and it worked.