Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Dogs Suffer Depression?

Our cats name was Critter. A forever house cat that feared going outside. She was almost 20 years old. When you would pet her she would purr so hard she'd droll. She had us trained well and took no BS from either of the dogs..

Poor Diesel is once again laying at my feet. I know he dreams as there are times he'll make small noises sometimes it sounds like he's laughing!

We've gotten all of our loved pets when they were very young so we were able to set the environment for them. All were loving and very well behaved with great temperaments. Which is why I ask about rescue animals. Not sure I want one with emotional problems.

Long ago I received a Shepard that was about 1.5 yrs. old that had been mistreated and kept gaged as a guard dog for a garage. When I got him he had a server fear and dislike for men. Took months to turn him around and he became very protective of me..

We do need to find Diesel a new play mate. Just not sure what kind. The other issue with this is do we look for another male of a female? Don't need dominance issues either.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with female dogs. I use to breed Labradors and sell the pups.

Well D does have a slightly dominate temper so guess we'll need to sort that. He does tolerate other male dogs as we had our daughters male Lab/Rot mix stay with us before. They were both alpha's and they would try to bully each other at times.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Yes they can suffer from depression.

We don't have children, so our dogs are our "children". We have always had two and several times in the last 40 years, we've had three. We had a Jack Russell mix who was with a Cairn Terrier. The Cairn developed cancer and we kept it comfortable for as long as we could. The Jack Russell could sense that the Cairn was sick . . . he'd hang around it all day and snuggle in close to it. They were "best buds". In a matter of overnight, the Cairn did a major downturn and we felt it best to have it put down . . it's never easy but to me, that's the last act of "love" we can do for them to see that they don't suffer.

Anyway . . . the Jack Russell sent in to a deep depression. Moped around, looked for his buddy and instantly went off his food. In spite of giving it lots of attention, etc. . . . I could not get him to eat. I tried different foods, canned food and even steak and he wouldn't eat. He would drink but had not interest in food at all. This went on for two weeks and I was afraid I was going to lose him but then he came out of it and showed fairly fast improvement.

Let's face it . . . animals do grieve just like we do and it takes time. With the ones we've had . . .some do it more than others. We got another Cairn fairly fast and the Jack Russell mix soon became good buddies with it . . . sort of took on a "parent role".

Over the years, I've had Vets tell me that dogs don't grieve, dogs have no concept of time, etc. I say "bull hockey" . . . they do and I'm a firm believer that we will see those that have passed when we reach the Pearly Gates . . . and I hope I have some treats in my pocket when I get there as I look forward to the reunion with all of them!

Boolit Buddy

KMW1954. You are on the right track. Good on you for looking out for your 4 legged buddy. A new pal will do wonders for him i'll bet.

Boolit Master
    I am so happy you are getting a rescue, they are wonderful, expect 6-12months adjustment, others fit right in, the last rescue I had gave me this look almost 12 months to the date when I dropped his bowl of food down in front of him. He just kind of relaxed and his look said "youre alright".
    I have 3 malamutes, one mom, one son and one great great granddaughter, Wednesday I am going to pick up the youngest brother. He is 3 like her. The reasons are sad, her best buddy is 11 and he is slowing down, he is the son of my best friend and I miss him dearly, now his son is slowing down. The mom, she is 12, and she just stays in the yard now, maybe she will go down to the river once every 10 days now. So I am afraid, that when one goes, the other may be close behind and I could be left with one severely upset 3yo dog. So I am hoping to bridge the gap. I am helping the new dog as well he is in a decent home but does not get the love he should, his sister has turned into a great dog.

So the rescue we've been talking to just received a litter of 8 Australian Shepard/Border Collie mix puppies that we are very interested in. All adorable and should be of the same size as Roscoe was when they become adults.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    So the rescue we've been talking to just received a litter of 8 Australian Shepard/Border Collie mix puppies that we are very interested in. All adorable and should be of the same size as Roscoe was when they become adults.

Sounds great, go check them out ASAP.
    Our Border Collie is purebred .She is blue merle in color.

Defiantly. We had to put the wife's Boston down because is seizures. Her French was the safest dog I have ever seen. Since got a new Boston. Best friends again just different dog.

Boolit Master
    All of our dogs have been rescues and all have been great. I wouldn't have changed a thing other than to somehow have made them live longer.

Dogs are different: when our first one died one of the remaining two was noticeably depressed and kept looking for her while the other didn't even seem to notice. We were down to one old Lab mix until about a month ago when someone begged us to take a misfit off their hands. The old guy has absolutely flourished with his new friend. I think the new dog might well add a year or two to his life.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Oh yes! Any person who has dogs and communicates with them knows.
    My dogs usually sense my bad moods and are super sweet until they are satisfied everything is ok still. Then again i did get poked in the eye with a snout this morning he was so excited for his collar.

Thanks for all the responses.

We've got to do something quick. It's getting to the point that Diesel doesn't even want to go outside unless someone is out with him.

In Remembrance

We have a shepherd and a ridgeback mix that have been together with us for four years, the shepherd was first. They were together for two years or more when my oldest son wanted his ridgeback back, after much arguement we gave in. They were back together in only three days because they were miserable, they each just laid around and pouted, didn't act like they wanted to eat or play.
    I have a heart condition and I am with them the most, one day I had felt dizzy so I laid in the floor before I fell there, I then passed out and my defibrillator shocked me. When I came to both dogs were laying across from me watching me with the most concerned sag to their eyes, "Ah, bull you say", when I got off the floor and sat in the chair, both of them tried to get in my lap at the same time.
    I think dogs will get very depressed at times.

BTW, we got the oldest sons dog because he went on a oil company job that had him away for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Boolit Master
    One of the most common emotional responses seen in dogs is "separation anxiety". If they can experience "separation anxiety" they can certainly experience "depression".
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

lead-1 I can relate to that. I too have heart problems with 11 stents. Every time I've come home from the hospital I swear they knew. They'd be all over me but never try to jump up on me. Lots of kisses though.

Diesel has separation issues even while Roscoe was with us. We can home on afternoon and everything looked great until we went into the bedroom. He'd gotten up on the bed, know because the spread was covered in hair, and he chewed apart my pillow. Oh almost forgot there was also a half a loaf of eaten bread on the floor.

Now with Roscoe gone we are really afraid to leave him home alone!

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful anthropomorphizing animals especially ones humans have a psychological bond to.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

That's if you think its just a human trait to begin with. Personaly I think its us humans that come up short in showing love, trust, and feelings when stacked up next to a dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Be careful anthropomorphizing animals especially ones humans have a psychological bond to.

Boolit Master
    We were given a kitten when weaned, a female (got her fixed). She was with us about 8 years when the son-in-law brought us a kitten - a male cat that was freshly born then abandoned in his yard by the feral mother. Our female watched him from a distance and never really connected with him. We raised the male by hand feeding. Infant cat formula was fun to administer with eye droppers, then larger syringe bodies until he was able to eat on his own. Over the years he (by then fixed) tried to bond with her the answer was always "NO". This got to be a contest. He would romp all over the house chasing and encouraging her to play. She saw this as an invasion of her space. In time she aged out, got ill and passed away. For the next 6 months he would prowl the entire house and scream is if looking for her to come out from hiding. Now he travels to neighbors houses where they have cats working to have company. We WILL have another cat in the house for his companion, just wanted to wait for the initial shock to fade and let him establish the certainty that she was gone and to come to balance with his own priorities. While we always have been very affectionate with him, there is still a void where he wants and needs companionship of his own kind.

Thin Man

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    That's if you think its just a human trait to begin with. Personaly I think its us humans that come up short in showing love, trust, and feelings when stacked up next to a dog.
    Yes, even Carol does not understand me with my dog but she has bought 100 toys for her. She just acts tough.
    The most heartbreaking thing I ever seen was a soldiers dog that would not leave the casket.
    Family will rush in to take what you owned but a dog only wants you and your love.
    People disappoint me and is why I love all of you because all of you are like me.

Boolit Buddy

No doubts in my mind. We adopted two English Springers through ESRA. They were a loving pair that would wrestle with each other. Lots of noise, but never a yelp. Buddy got ill and we lost him. Makena was heartbroken. We adopted another male, Ben, and while they get along, it's not the same. We feel that two is a good number and that the difference in ages should be minimal. But I digress. Yes dogs have feelings.