WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question.

Boolit Mold
    I guess a lot of guys missed the fact that I took the suggestion and remeasured using a micrometer. The measurements were the same as with the calipers.
    I was planning on using these bullets in a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk that I just purchased. I must have gotten unlucky as my Ruger seems to have the undersized throats I've heard about.
    Even the jacketed .452 bullets will not go thru the cylinder throats unless I wanted to use a sledge hammer.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogstir View Post
    I guess a lot of guys missed the fact that I took the suggestion and remeasured using a micrometer. The measurements were the same as with the calipers.
    I was planning on using these bullets in a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk that I just purchased. I must have gotten unlucky as my Ruger seems to have the undersized throats I've heard about.
    Even the jacketed .452 bullets will not go thru the cylinder throats unless I wanted to use a sledge hammer.
    That is exactly why we on here slug our barrels 1st and then buy molds and sizing dies that give us the CORRECT sizes, rather than relying on some com-caster to guess at what our guns may need.

Consider casting your own and..........solve your problems with sizing.

Good luck with your boolit fit. We have all been there at one time or another. At least you can melt them down and reuse the Pb.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are serious about shooting and have the time and the room - invest in a sizer and size them down. If you plan on learning how to cast your own it is a good investment.

Or - send your cylinder to DougGuy and get your cylinder throats sized as they should be and then start casting your own!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Lube would be an obvious culprit, especially that god-awful hard lube used by commercial casters.
    No kidding! I was playing with my micrometer (vernier) and noticed that I need to use a piece of paper to clean the pads before using. If I touch it with my fingers, then run it closed with the 'slip-clutch', it won't go back to zero (a couple of 10 thousandths off).

Clamp it on the paper, pull out the paper a couple times... now it goes to zero, repeatably.

VERY precise (touchy?)

The above is repeatable. Luckily my mic is a 0-1". Would need gauge blocks for anything else.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogstir View Post
    These bullets were all purchased recently so I have no idea how long ago they were actually cast. I guess the answer is to invest in a good sizer and resize them.
    Any suggestions?
    Load 'em and give 'em a plunk test. If they chamber, shoot 'em. The bbl will size them down perfectly...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

DANG! Hate it when that happens. If plug gauges show the throats to be .451, call Ruger and ask them what they want to do about it.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Mold
    I sent the cylinder off to a place called "Cylinder Hone" to have the throats reamed. It cost $60 including return shipping and I had it back in less than a week. I will slug the barrel next.

Boolit Master

Load a few and shoot them. if your accuracy is acceptable and your not leading the bore keep on going.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Your throats will size the bullets. The only problem you could have is a too big of bore diameter or the bullets won't chamber, but I doubt it.
    Shoot it! the gun will tell you.