MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Saeco spue plate set screw

Boolit Bub

Saeco spue plate set screw

I have a older Saeco mold with a set screw for the spue plate screw. It works great. I'd like to tap the blank hole on my newer saeco molds that are missing the set screw feature. Has anyone done this? I don't see a problem doing this, but would hate to ruin a couple of nice molds experimenting.

Boolit Master
    When did saeco stop putting the set screw ?

Boolit Master
    Are you sure that "blank hole" isn't just drilled deep for clearance & there are threads (and set screw) near bottom?

Boolit Master
    Saeco doesn't go "cheap" on their molds, I'd take a second look....I have many Saeco molds and all have the set screw.

Boolit Master
    It should have a little alien screw in the hole . Take off the sprue plate and shine a light through the hole .

Boolit Grand Master

I would check the "blank" holes carefully first to make sure there isnt a set screw in them. Most manufacturers dont drill a hole for no reason. If there isnt then measure the holes dia with inside calipers and look for a tap drill size close and use that tap. Kind of a backwards way of doing it normally you have the tap you want to use and drill the hole to suit. Here with the hole there you need to use the tap to match it. Use oil on the tap and break chips often. You also want to remove sprue plate and its screw so you can tap right into that hole cleanly. also check the blank hole to make sure it goes thru to the spue plate screw hole. It should be easy enough to do. when reassembling insert a piece of copper wire between sprue plate screw and set screw this allows for proper holing pressure with out chewing up the threads or shank

Boolit Grand Master

I am always leery of running a hardened set screw against a threaded screw. This is a great way to mess up the threads (have seen it happen time and time again). However, dropping on lead shot into the threaded hole and running the screw in until the shot deforms around the threads works perfectly with NO danger to the screws threads.

FWIW,
    Dale53