Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Powder coating Boolits

Powder coating Boolits

Been wanting to try this have looked online You-Tube and have a question, Saw a guy on there called Elvis-Ammo he was preheating his Boolits for a few minutes then shaking them in a Cool-Whip container similar to the Alox lube method. Has anyone tried this??
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Waste of time for me. But I have VERY low humidity. You may need to depending on your RH.....seems to help a little for those in VERY wet climates.

Just try it without. Nothing to loose!

I have no use for youtube videos! Forget them......read the stickies on here.....the best advise you can get!@!@!@!@!

If you are just asking about BBDT, then yes it does work and very well!
    But pre-heating boolits is NOT part of the standard proceedure most of the many thousands of us use!

bangerjim
    Last edited by bangerjim; 06-27-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Yes, this is correct. I feel there are 2 main methods of powder coating. ES or electrostatic uses a standard pc spray gun to coat the boolits. The other is the ASBBDT or BBDT. The name means AirSoft BB Dry Tumble. Basically you start with a container that has a #5 recyclable symbol on it (like a cool whip bowl or most plastic containers like rubbermade/ gladware you find at the store.) That #5 symbol basically means the container will generate the static to make the powder stick. Also a warm boolit promotes adhesion. You may or may not need it depending on your humidity. I put my boolits on top of the oven while it preheats inside a tinfoil square container like a bread pan. The first batch are not heated but the next ones are. I do see a difference between the two.

If you look at the stickies you will find more than enough info on all methods.
    Last edited by ryokox3; 06-27-2016 at 12:49 AM.

I read the stickies and had success from the start.

I no longer use that scoop, it's too small.

Boolit Buddy

I Have a metal pan that I keep on top of my toaster oven and I keep it full of what I am about to coat then dump it from there into my containers with ASBB's. you don't have to do it but the top of the oven is already warm and when I started it was about 40 degrees in my garage so it has just become part of the process. If there was actually anymore work involved it wouldn't happen.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

I always get frustrated with Boobtube vids. You assume a lot is correct & sometimes it's just not. The instructions given here are pretty simple. Read the stickies, follow directions given, easy & good results with the first bunch. The only thing I do diff with shake & bake is I use wire drawer organizers as trays instead of foil or such. They work fine, bullets stick a tiny bit but pop right off. Baking time & oven temp are critical.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol