WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Opinions on a good hp mold for 45 acp

Boolit Buddy

Opinions on a good hp mold for 45 acp

I'm strongly considering buying an hp mold or modifying an existing mold I have for hp. I mInky want this to experiment with alloys and bullet expansion and to learn more about casting. That and so I can finally shoot a real hp. Not the rubber tip nonsense I find in nj. I'd like to be under 200gr if possible as my gun tends to like a 185gn swc so I think in an hp it may like close to the same thing. I know of rcbs molds, saeco, Lee, H&G, Lyman. I'm sure there are more. If anyone could throw some molds manufacturers names out so I can look into them so I can start saving for my next mold that would be greatly appreciated also. While I'm at it. I have the Lyman cast handbook. Can anyone recommend any other good casting/reloading manuals I should get my hands on so I can keep learning. I recently started building my own loads nearly from scratch because none of the published data works for my firearm. So the more literature I have the better. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I believe if you take a look at the group buys Mihec is doing a rerun of the 452 HP RN design. Mine are weighing right at 200gr though, might have to check one of the other vendors and then have it modified for a HP if you want it a bit lighter.

edit: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-SPECIAL-OFFER

That's the mold I use for my 45acp HP.

Banned

well a 200gr mold that gets sent to Erick ohlen will come back with a hollow point pin in it.
    the pin usually takes place of about 10-15grs of lead.
    an alloy of 30-1 poured into this modified mold and poked along with starting jacketed data will open up better than most factory jacketed rounds.
    put a gas check on it and you can push things along in the 1-K area which will ensure that the boolit opens itself up to some impressive diameters.

as far as data goes the 45 is the 45 I have never changed anything when using jacketed, plated or cast.
    I just work a load that operates the gun 100% of the time.
    and then add more powder until it's close to max or hitting where I'm pointing.
    I'm more interested in it hitting where I'm pointing.

Boolit Master
    I have that MP 200gr mold and really really like it!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

MP molds are a cut above, not only do they cast great boolits but they are works of art.

Boolit Master
    I bought a mold from N.O.E ,it casts 230 grain hollow point .
    Have been using it in the 45 colt and the 45 ACP with good results.

I know for certain that jack rabbits do not like it loaded with 7.0 grains of red dot.
    I just played with the mix to get the expansion i wanted,got one for the 44 mag as well,both work good.

Boolit Master

I love my 200gr Mihec HP mold.

My Lyman Devastator mold makes a real purty boolit!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    That Lyman is a great mold and if your just starting with HPs a good way to learn and see if you like the process
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    My NOE 453-210-RF/HP is outstanding in both 45 ACP and 45 LC. Mine drops 222 gr HP's, 228 gr. cup-points and 235 gr. flat-points. I load my .45 ACP's to a COAL of 1.187 which covers the crimp grove.

Boolit Master
    NOE and MP both make very good HP moulds. Their systems are different, but choosing either is a leap forward from the Lyman (or any other) style that uses a removable pin.
    It would probably be good to start with a double cavity mould to get familiar with casting HPs from the NOE and MP offerings. The 4 cavity moulds are great for an experienced caster but they might cause a few headaches to the new HP caster.
    One big difference is often in availability. NOE normally has a good selection ready to ship, while MP is often a "sign up and wait" proposition... That said, MP moulds are worth waiting for if you aren't in a hurry.

As previously mentioned, Eric Ohlen enjoys a very good reputation for quality work in modifying standard moulds to HP.
    These 3 options cover just about anything you might be interested in.

Another vote for Miha, I love my brass 230 HP.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the LEE 200 gr SWC. It is the H&G #68 clone. My has the BB trimmed off.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Miha made a run of H&G 68 with hollow point, should be around 180 gr.

Boolit Master

I, too, love my MP 4-banger in 45 HP/FP/Penta, depending on which plugs I install. The HP' turn out about 208 grs w/WW+2%Sn. Outstanding...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I, too, love my MP 4-banger in 45 HP/FP/Penta, depending on which plugs I install. The HP' turn out about 208 grs w/WW+2%Sn. Outstanding...
    The penta fed and loaded so nicely I have never taken mine back out. I figure it saves me a little bit of lead each time.