Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Storing cast bullets

Boolit Grand Master
    RP has gone to extremes. He has A LOT of boolits. Mine are in old coffe cans with lids, and Dollar Store containers. Make sure the Dollar Store containers have decent lids. Nothing worse than the lid failing because of the weight and having boolits with dirt or in my case, pet hair all over them.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I store all my sized and lubed boolits in Costco nut jars, I eat a lot of them (nuts that is). All my brass is stored in plastic Folgers (that is what everyone here drinks) cans . All loaded rounds are stored in a cabinet in quart zip top bags, with labels on them in 100 round lots.

Sterilite boxes from walmart. Two different sized boxes with the same foot print. Larger box holds about 750 9mm bullets. Loaded ammo goes in midway ammo boxes.

mine go in these

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ammostorage.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	169981
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot mainly .224 so I store sized/lubed boolits in empty skoal can. Stand them up straight and can get several in a can.

I started getting quart and larger paint buckets with lids from the local home store. They work well for both brass and bullet storage.

Name:	051596990022.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	170141
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

In Remembrance

I have lots of boolits stored in the plastic slip top containers that welding rods come in. Sized and lubed go in zip lock bags then into the boxes. Dust and water resistant and very stackable.

Boolit Master
    Here's a tip for those of you who include oatmeal in your diet. I take empty Quaker Oats containers (you know- those round cardboard things) and cut them down to whatever size I need for that particular batch of bullets, and re-use the original plastic lid. They stack neatly atop one another. The only trick is in getting them cut off squarely. I do it with my table saw, but lacking that I would scribe a line around the circumference and cut it with a knife.

Boolit Bub
    I think I have found a solution for me.

I was cleaning out my late father's house when I came across a stash of these.

Seems Dad knew I'd be needing these and is still taking care of me!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer the Folgers plastic "cans". They stack well when empty or full of brass. I use them to store boolits and ingots but don't stack them. A Sharpie works great for labelling. I should probably use the smaller "cans" for boolits, I seldom cast more than a hundred or two of anything. They'd take up less room on the shelf.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I bought a lot of 25 cardboard boxes 6x6x6 from box place off internet. come flat and you tape the bottom up. Since I PC all my bullets just put them in boxes. Did run a band of filament tape around the top edge to keep the sides from tearing.

I did make labels for all of them so it's easy to find the right one. have them up against a wall in a straight line so they're pretty much out of the way
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I use large peanut butter jars(plastic) and plastic nut jars. The nut jars are about as large as you can go weight wise in plastic. I still have some mayonnaise jars with a wide mouth. They went back to the narrow mouth a while back and they are of no use.

I like the idea of surplus ammo cans but like to see what is inside. I also don't like to pay for them.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Pulled a bunch of these out of my grandfather's attic almost 20 years ago, after he died. If you can read the lid, this one was filled with .32 Special brass.
    The plastic containers of disinfectant wipes are about the same size and would work just as well.

Name:	272910559.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	170760
    Last edited by JSnover; 06-22-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Pulled a bunch of these out of my grandfather's attic almost 20 years ago, after he died. If you can read the lid, this one was filled with .32 Special brass.
    The plastic containers of disinfectant wipes are about the same size and would work just as well.

Name:	272910559.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	170760
    This post reminded me that I use Quaker Oats boxes(cylinders) to store relatively small quantities of .45 Colt (and larger)pistol brass. Although they are paperboard, they will support the weight of a full container of .45 Colt brass easily
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I am with dragon813gt and 10mmShooter.

I use TupperWare for men, (ammo cans).

Lafaun

Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Bub
    I put them in pretty much anything. Empty powder cans, old bullet boxes (like the boxes from Missouri Bullet Company), and even old big pill bottles.

Got lucky and found two boxes of Tupperware containers in the Walmart clearance section for super cheap, so I've more than enough boxes to contain cast boolits and see what's inside. Still like to put a label sticker on each one with alloy composition, and air cooled/water dropped.
    Lids on the cheaper Tupperware containers are hit or miss, brand name is the bees knees so be on the lookout for those!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

A Velveeta cheese box's that have been reinforced with packing tape will hold 13lb's of wad-cutters if stacked nice. 358156's stacked the same way are a bit more. And you can stack them up like bricks.

Seems like I read lots of info from the long range (1000+ yard gong) 45-70 shooters, and high quality cast bullet manufacturers about the importance (bordering on fanaticism) of protecting against even very small deformations of cast bullets, especially bases, in establishing consistent accuracy. I really like the idea of used plastic ammo trays of the appropriate caliber, especially when dealing with lubed bullets, paper patched cast bullets, or hunting rounds requiring special handling. Since I won't typically be shooting thousands of 45-70 rounds, but more often practicing and plinking with my other guns, I think smaller cans or boxes would be fine. Anything larger than soup cans gets pretty heavy, and they stack well too. JMHO.

Boolit Bub
    I only powder coat since i've started casting so I don't have to worry about lube or stacking neatly. I like to use the larger plastic mixed nut or cashew containers (great value brand) as they hold quite a bit. I've also used boxes that xtreme plated bullets come in from when I used to load those up before I got into casting.