WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just the bare facts mam, bear facts that is.

Just the bare facts mam, bear facts that is.

The local Police Dept showed a photo of a medium sized black bear strolling through a neighborhood in our small town today. Probably a young male looking for new territory to settle in. Last year some clown shot at one in a community about 20 miles east of here.

I would like to see one, and get a photo.

Have a blessed afternoon,

Leon

Boolit Grand Master

That would be pretty cool! We see deer, coyotes, lots of birds and other critters near the house but never a bear.

Boolit Master

One tore the plastic drain pipe out of the ground in the back of my cabin a couple years ago in NC. there were shredded scraps all over. Was like it was nothing more than paper for him.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

My son had one in his neighborhood a while back, Lehigh Acres, Fl. It was dumpster diving.

Banned

we usually have one or two wander into town every year, they generally end up in the cemetery stuck in a tree with about 50 people standing around taking pictures for face-book.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I could put you in a place to camp I would pretty much guarantee you would see a griz or two.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

We actually have a few in TX, just not in E TX where you'd expect. If you'll meet me in Raton next month I think I can show you one or two, just bring a telephoto (do they still make those?) lens. These bears aren't photogenic.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    we have pleanty of griz in island park,had two at my cabin at henerys lake last fall.been up close with a few showed them my 338 seemed to impress them.west yellowstone and the island park area is the gubberments breeding grounds and nusery area for the bears

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure why that guy who shot at one was "a clown". Black bears are not your friends and could as easily attacked a small child as just wander around. I would not hesitate myself to shoot one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Not sure why that guy who shot at one was "a clown". Black bears are not your friends and could as easily attacked a small child as just wander around. I would not hesitate myself to shoot one.
    Maybe the difference is shooting at versus shooting. lol

The bear and clown reference: The bear was not threatening anyone, and the clown that I spoke of was shooting in a neighborhood, with a wildlife officer watching him.

Boolit Master
    They come by the house here quite often. A couple of years ago I had one (likely a yearling) standing on its hind legs, looking through my office window at my computer. I see lots of them at my cabin as well.
    R.D.M.

Kinda like women...can't live with them...wouldn't want to live without them.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

While fishing at the end of the road in Ontario, Canada we always see blackies both close up and at a distance, as they haven't allowed spring bear hunting for the past several years. We use a battery power fence that in good grounding conditions puts out 7K volts, to keep them out of our "stuff". Last spring we had one pay us a visit and he walked right up to the open gate and almost invited himself in - but we talked him out of it. Talking distance was 4 feet.

He came back at 0 dark 30 and just came up under the bottom strand and stretched things out a bit - He was a young healthy looking guy with a beautiful black coat - well, the 3 of us rolled out of the fart sack and bailed out of the tent and attempted to asked him just what he thought he was going to do in our cook shack but he decided not to discuss the matter and barreled through the fence in a different location. Talking distance this time was less than 3 feet, as he probably just stopped short of the cook shack when he heard some noise made by 3 idiots and was looking at our tent entrance as we unzipped the fly - 1st guy out mumbled something but the other two just keep pushing and the three of us upon seeing ole blackie almost nose to nose - I guess we were spoiling for a fight in our boxer shorts, but blackie wanted none of it.

We will be "experimenting" with another brand of electric fence next week, same location - putting out 12K volts and we'll put down some chicken wire in the not-so-good grounding locations. I doubt we will have anything within the perimeter that isn't welcomed - Almost as much fun as having NVA inside the wire.

Great story, comical! For me it would be...How do you sleep with a hand cannon shoved in your skivvies?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Great story, comical! For me it would be...How do you sleep with a hand cannon shoved in your skivvies?
    I wouldn't know about that, but you can sleep real well with a guide gun laying right next to you. lol

Boolit Buddy

We have bears here quite often. I think I posted here about the one that tried to steal my quad in October 14' ....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

In Remembrance
    There is something about quad seats that attracts bears. I don't know how many guys I have known that have ridden their quads close to their bear stands then walked the rest of the way, only to come back to see a bear has eaten their seat. lol

If the bears aren't scared off by the ATV and they like to eat seats...why not park it right under the tree stand?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    If the bears aren't scared off by the ATV and they like to eat seats...why not park it right under the tree stand?
    At first is seems like a good idea, but you don't usually want to shoot any bear that comes in to your bait, and most areas grizlys are not legal at a bait stand, so no wheeler seat bait stands. lol