RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: stuck bullet button

Boolit Master

stuck bullet button

The nut that assembles the bullet button on an AR15 has two small slots that the tool fits into to tighten or remove the button. the tools aluminum ears have sheared off and the nut inside the button cannot be turned. Stupid me used blue loctite when installing and the locktite is too strong for the little ears and they shear off. Can I drill out the latch from the left side till the threaded stud disassembles from the latch and then just buy a new magazine catch? Gotta love Kalifornia!

Boolit Master
    it is now complaint for their bullet button ban!

Boolit Master
    try using a soldering iron to melt the lock tight if not drill it out from the button side and replace it w a new assembly.

Boolit Master
    You think the button side would be better? On the left side, you see where the threaded pin is on the latch. I don't want to do it wrong and mess up the receiver. Thank you for your reply! Rod

Boolit Buddy
    Next time use purple, Loctite 222.

It is made for screws under a 1/4 inch in diameter.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Vendor Sponsor

Next time don't use any Loctite at all! There is no need on this part, It's not going anywhere.

The reason they give you the aluminum tool is because you aren't supposed to tighten it up that much. Snug is enough.

If you were to drill thru the arm on the left side of the gun where the shaft meets the arm would come off and the shaft would come thru the right side and you could get it out that way.

You could also make a steel spanner wrench to remove the nut after you heated it and melted the Loctite.

Or since you do live here you just leave it alone and use one of the magnetic buttons to drop mags. I do this and it works just fine and has never fallen off yet.

Kind of hard to swallow $20 for a .50 cent magnet and a #10 trim washer, but if you need it, you need it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    My thought on drilling the button side is to use the center of the button as a guide for the drill bit and less chance of slipping and drilling the receiver unless you have a good drill press with a vise to hold the receiver securely.

Boolit Master
    A hair drier should get it hot enough to release the loctite.

Boolit Master

What's a bullet button
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    What's a bullet button
    Comi lock on an ar15... to where you can't take the mag out of your scarey black rifle without depressing a button on the mag release with a tool or tip of a bullet. Makes ar15 legal in states with **** hole gun laws.

Vendor Sponsor

They just outlawed these in CA last Friday. Brown signed the bill, but hopefully it won't stand as they didn't allow time for public comment.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    If you buy the receiver before the end of the year they are supposed to be grandfathered in but will have to register it as an AW. You can't find one for sale anywhere in Kalifornia today. I'm getting out of this EFIN state and moving back to America next year.