RepackboxLee PrecisionMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication

Thread: How are these gas checks?

How are these gas checks?

I need some 30 cal gas checks for my M1 and these seem like a good price.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-05-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: ebay link removed

thats a good deal, I make all of my gas checks and I would not sell a 1000 for that price.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    thats a good deal, I make all of my gas checks and I would not sell a 1000 for that price.
    Nor would I, too much time and labor involved, not to mention packaging and shipping.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

You've let the cat out of the bag, better get what you want right away.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    You've let the cat out of the bag, better get what you want right away.
    They now have 1000 less

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Nor would I, too much time and labor involved, not to mention packaging and shipping.

Slim
    Hi Slim,
    I have to buy the metal in the hundreds of pounds often approaching 1500 lbs sometimes and have to bang them out fast and accurately too, to sell at that price. I make my own tooling and use WWII high speed production equipment....its the only equipment I use, it was built to last...they were fighting for their lives!
    If not mistaken, the WPB ( War Production Board) approached manufactures of machine tools at the beginning of the war and requested they were to last the "Duration" which some military analysts of the time said might go as far out as 1974!
    Thats why I love WWII production equipment ....built to last! It is an extremely rare high speed press, probably the last one out there...Im sure there were banks of them in the armories at the time but for whatever reasons were lost to time or to other companies which eventually closed and or were scrapped out; not knowing what they had.
    All the best!
    Gavin

Boolit Mold

Earlier this year I got 1000 of their copper gas checks in 32 caliber for my 32-40 Win and have been very pleased. They fit the base of the bullet perfectly and are of uniform thickness. Have loaded 200 so fa with no problems.

Banned

Not as many places sell aluminum gas checks. I noticed this sellers price for copper gas checks was the same as NOE sells Gator copper gas checks for.

I really am debating purchase of any more gas checks. Keep thinking that any I purchase is just wasting $25 I could have put toward buying my own checkmaker. Then I think yeah but how long will it take me to fire off 1000 rounds of 8mm?

Those aluminum checks might be a good way to split the difference, get some cheap for now and save for the checkmaker later.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Gavin

Bought 1000 copper .30 cal checks yesterday. Just got done casting up some Lyman 311291's looking forward to trying them out.

I bought 1000 as well.

I just paid $26ish/1000 for 5000 Gator copper gas checks from Sage. $22 is not a good price, it's a "I don't know how they are making money at that price" price. I stamp my own from a Pat Marlins die. It's not worth my time or money to buy more copper once what I have is all stamped out.

In Remembrance
    Gator checks are cheaper on our website. We have to pay almost 15 % fees on E Bay.

James

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    I just paid $26ish/1000 for 5000 Gator copper gas checks from Sage. $22 is not a good price, it's a "I don't know how they are making money at that price" price. I stamp my own from a Pat Marlins die. It's not worth my time or money to buy more copper once what I have is all stamped out.

Boolit Mold

These are $23/1000 and include Free Shipping.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-09-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: removed ebay link

I got my aluminum checks in the mail. They seem good.

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)
    I can't access Sagebrush's website from my computer. I get a server not found error. Is there some way around this? Or am I hosed?
    Saddle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OKSaddletramp View Post
    I can't access Sagebrush's website from my computer. I get a server not found error. Is there some way around this? Or am I hosed?
    Works for me.

Boolit Master
    You can't access his website through your INTERNET provider, not your computer's fault. I have Comcast, it'll block it unless I go back and click the link again or hit refresh 6-7 times. I am not sure how I got it to work, something along those lines. Or I turned the wifi off on my phone and used the AT&T 4G Internet
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Mold
    Hi Folks,
    They are on ebay and its always free shipping; by building my own tooling I can control the tolerances better and modify them easier to crimp better.
    Im a reloader and shooter too and have always hated the price gouging I have seen over the years because of dealers taking advantage of political situations. Sure the profit is not as high, in fact its paper thin, Its mostly as a service to fellow shooters. But I have to bang them out at around 400 strokes a minute to make it all worth while....thats why I have to build my own tooling for precise enough fits to sustain those speeds. Currently Im working on exceeding 600 strokes per min.
    There is no way I could make them on the older Waterbury-Farrel type ICOP presses used in cartridge case drawing manufacturing, they typically run around 150 strokes per min., far too slow, but are great for the many deep drawing and necking and bunting operations that cartridges go through between annealing cycles.
    Likewise, those bench top pneumatic "clicker" presses cant hold up to the tonnage needed for the "sustainability" tolerances or the speeds.
    I use a specially built press for armories; made in 1943, probably the last of its kind, but is in flawless condition, in fact I got it from a bullet manufacture who closed up in the 70's and it sat in the corner of a shop ever since. The dies I make and use are nothing similar to the dies some folks are buying for around 100-200 hundred dollars; completely different and have to be far more robust.
    Sure I have met some resistance to all of this...even an ebayer once tried to scare me away, I guess he was happy to keep on gouging folks too....groan. But Im always looking to buy material in larger bulk to reduce costs even more and pass it along. While metal prices did go up substantially years ago, they have since fallen too, so why was this not passed along to the end user?
    Last edited by wind power; 06-12-2016 at 08:12 AM.

WP, you would do well to make your address available on your site, and offer those of us who despise Pay Pal and electronic transfers the option of ordering by mail with optional payments via money order or check.

Great deals and I wish your venture the best!!