RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 405 jes

Boolit Buddy

405 jes

Bought a Westernfield 30-30 with a perfect bore, but to me that is a cartridge I'm not enamored with so I sent it to JES to have it rebored to his 405 JES as we talked about it the sounds of it really appealed to me! Wondering who if anyone here has any experience with it! Bad & good comments would be appreciated as well as where to get a mold for the 300 RD bullet and loads that work for you! Thanks, Prodigal Son!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have been a caliber 41 fan for 35 years. Decided some time beck I needed Caliber .41 rifles. 41 mag was first. Then when the 414 Supermag came along sent a 336 To JES to get bored and rifled, then for a chamber. That is an interesting lift in Power. Then when I saw the 450 JES advertised sent another 336 in.
    You will not be disappointed ! Start now hunting 444 Marlin brass. Easy to resize to 41-444. You may also consider getting dies. I was pressed for time so ordered the dies from JES as he was the only supplier at the time. 444 marlin brass gets shortened some so split necked brass works if the splits are small. JES recomends new or once fired. If you anneal the necks I do not think it matters a lot unless the original 444 brass was fired in a fat chamber rifle.
    265 - 300 grainers is where this round shines just like the 444 Marlin. Use 444 Marlin reloading data. Start with start loads and watch for pressure signs. Your rifle will let you know when your brass head/bolt thrust pressure and case head diameter are enough. No two rifles are alike so my readings will be different. I have gone as far as a 348 grain NOE bullet. Would be a super 50 yard or less bear load. But at 100 yards mine were not stable... thus the 50 yard limit. But 300 grainers is by far the best big thumper. Mine are stable out to 200 yards and corn cruncher minute of angle. NOE has molds. Any of the other makers do to.
    You may or may not have to open your ejection port. My 336's are all alike. Simple job. Just use a 1895 444 Marlin as your guide. If you do not have one a 45-70 is good but a hair more material is removed. Empty brass ejects just fine. But a loaded round probably will not.
    Powders that work well in the 444 are your friends. I found good service with 1680 also. 4198 may be the best overall.
    Only Cartridge I know that beats the 405 JES is the 405 Winchester. That is the next step up. But If I could only have one on a budget the 405 JES will do everything any of us will ever need. Just sneek up a bit more.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Got my 336 in 405 JES with dies Friday! Made a couple cases and shot some 215 gr Boolits and is a work of art! Now all I need is a mold to start casting some Boolits! Mounted my 1-4 Loupold not load development! Thank you Jess he is the best!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The 405 JES will be one of my first 336's out of storage along with the 414 Supermag. If you like the caliber 41's the 405 JES is one real power house just like the 444. Only thing better is the 405 Winchester which only amounts to about 200 -250 fps more but in a much larger package.
    Molds I would not get any mold under 265-275 range. This is where this caliber really shines. Penetration is excellent and the Thwap on target is great. If you want a "all purpose hunt anything" mold get a Flat Nose about 275-280 grains. Should be good on any critter mast of us will ever see. If I was going to pop a moose or bear at 50 or less yards a 350 FN would be my choice. Just read up on what fellers are launching at critters with the 444 and that is a very good guide.
    The ejection window will need looking at to be sure it will handle a loaded round you desire to eject. Look at a close up photo of a 444 and you will get the idea.
    Mike in Peru till mid June
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Jess did open it up a bit, feeds loaded rounds just fine! Was shooting today but it started raining and ended my session ! I have been looking for molds but don't like the fat nose! Want something more like the boolit I'm shooting in my 38-55! Great rifle can't wait to hunt with it this fall.