RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92, Finally!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Just to put a bug in your ear so to speak.

Little alteration I found I really liked on my Rossi 92
    Artful, You really got my attention with the suppressor.....never really thought about putting one on a lever gun.....I LIKE IT!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the tip on the WFN, 30WCF. That hadn't occurred to me. I'm still amazed that it feeds 38's and the SWC will suit me fine. I seriously doubt I'll ever take this rifle hunting so anything that flies straight and punches paper works for me. I've seen some incredible groups with this load in a 6" 586 @ 50 yds. This is going to be fun, may even get nostalgic and break out a PPC gun and see if I can still shoot it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the WFN, 30WCF. That hadn't occurred to me. I'm still amazed that it feeds 38's and the SWC will suit me fine. I seriously doubt I'll ever take this rifle hunting so anything that flies straight and punches paper works for me. I've seen some incredible groups with this load in a 6" 586 @ 50 yds. This is going to be fun, may even get nostalgic and break out a PPC gun and see if I can still shoot it.
    Just for the record, the bullet that I have shot most in mine, so far, the Lee 158gr RNFP ( almost identical to the NOE 360 180gr WFN) ...is essentially, a WFN...large meplat, and it works like a charm in mine. I guess, it is just different guns have different tastes in bullets they like to feed. So, yours will be like ours, trial and error proposition. This pleases me as I use mine for hunting and these WFN bullets just work better for me than swc's...so, I do not cast swc's of any style, anymore. Matter of fact, I only have one swc mold, left. I, now, shoot these bullets almost exclusively in all of my .357 firearms.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 05-23-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Good find. I have been watching for a rifle 20 or 24 inch.
    My favorite fun shooter is a Rossi "Mares Leg" in 357. I added a peep and a full buttstock(yes, completely legal where I live)to make it a short barreled rifle. I shoot the LEE 158 RNFP. Cast, cool, TL 45/45/10, load and shoot. If yours is as much fun as mine...stock up on Russian SPP I go through 1000's. Excellent plinker and with enough power to use for big varmits(coyotes) or as a truck gun.

Now if they would allow a "can" here if would be perfect!

I *really* like the Rossi 92. I've never gotten a bad example of one in 6 buys.

I have the means to purchase "better" lever actions, but I just keep going for the Rossi. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they don't ruin a good thing.

I think the only lever actions I enjoy shooting more are the Savage 99's, but they are a different breed entirely IMO.

Congrats on the new purchase.
    __

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Artful, You really got my attention with the suppressor.....never really thought about putting one on a lever gun.....I LIKE IT!
    I'm going to do a Form 1 can in 45 caliber to use with 358, 375, 44, and 45 caliber. It's just a matter of approval, money and time.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    About two years ago, I walked into the LGS and they had a new Rossi 92 38/357 in the rack priced at $360. Told them I would take it if it would feed cast. Went and made some dummy rounds up, with RCBS's 158 SWC's in both 38 and 357 varieties. Returned and randomly loaded them into the magazine tube. All fed and ejected, gun came home with me.

Since then, I have picked up NOE's 180 RNFP (solid) mould and that would be my bullet choice for deer. Feeds without a hitch and is minute of deer at 50-60 yards. I'm using the load data out of the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual for their 180 Silhouette bullet with 2400 powder.

For pest control, Lyman's (9 mm) 120 TC bullet is my choice. Prints to same POA at 20-25 yards as the NOE 180, so no sight adjustment needed.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    I have a Rossi 92 CB and it feeds and shoots the Lee 125, 158s as well as the RD TLC 175 and 190 gr boolits well. Take a look at Ranch Dogs site rossi-rifleman.com for his experiences with the Rossi lever guns. I've worked up some of the 190gr loads based on his experiences posted on his site and have managed a 23 shot group of about 2.5" @ 100yds with peep sights.

Congrats on your purchase.
    Last edited by Mike Malat; 05-24-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: correct URL

I have tried the Lee 158 RNFP in 357 and it does not feed reliably in my Rossi but in 38 special cases it is more reliable. I even tried Skeeter Skelton old 38 load where a bullet is loaded out further in a 38 special case and it feed fine. But I have noticed the complaints from users on these rifles tend to stem from those using them in cowboy shooting as an example. Smoothing them up and that sort of thing. Repeaters will be slightly more fussy than a revolver. They are not particularly fussy but may have a bullet or two they don't like. Not a big deal really.

DEP

Moderator Emeritus

Nice job Art. I would not have thought about suppressing a lever.

Boolit Bub

Congrats on the find. I picked up one at a gun show about 3 years ago and loved it ever since. I normally target shoot with LRN in 38 but I have taken it hog hunting a few times using the hornady critical defense rounds in 357 and it did not disappoint. More importantly my kids like shooting it at the range better then any 22 I have gotten them.

I you wish to install a scout scope, these people make a mount for it. If you remove the rear sight, you'll find it's drilled and tapped beneath it. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...1tgffa133ofce1

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    I you wish to install a scout scope, these people make a mount for it. If you remove the rear sight, you'll find it's drilled and tapped beneath it. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...1tgffa133ofce1
    Thanks, actually kicking around a red-dot sight for it but for now I ordered plugs for those holes and a bolt-mounted peep from Steve's Gunz. With apologies to the late great Col. Cooper I'm not a fan of the Scout concept when it comes to optics.

Welcome to the forum, Mark. With all my old 38 ammo and components (with a Dillon die set standing by in a dedicated head!) shooting this rifle will be better than shooting free 22's and I'm enough of a tightwad to really enjoy it!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Got the peep sight in from Steve and watched his video tonight. Safety/sight pin was very tight, ruined two punches getting it out. I'll buy better ones next time. Very good video but this little rifle is already pretty slick. May have to take it apart to see why...after I watch that video one more time.
    Range trip tomorrow!

Boolit Mold
    I bought a 92 with a 24" barrel eight or nine years ago. Great shooter, but
    it didn't fill a spot in my safe with anything I didn't already have. It got shot
    the first year, then not much after and I eventually sold it.

A few few months ago a friend offered up a NIB 38/357 ranch hand at a fantastic price,
    so I grabbed it. I immediately ordered a full length stock for it from Boyd's ( I'm in Canada
    so there is no tax stamp or SBR nonsense), $55. On sale. I had it in a week, looks
    great and it turned a "range toy" into the handiest little Carbine I've ever shot!

it's still TINY with a full stock on it; a touch over 29 inches. Extremely quick to get it
    on your shoulder, quick to get sights on target, and after a half hour with the action
    apart, smoothing any potential spots for burrs, rough machining etc. It runs really fast
    and slick.

The he trigger really surprised me. Crisp at five pounds, and five minutes of stoning and it
    breaks like a glass rod at 2.9 lbs.; no slack, no creep. It'll group four in. Offhand at 100yds
    consistently, it'll take really stout loads and it's still just under five pounds.

does it sound like I'm fond of this rifle? I freaking LOVE this rifle!!! I've hardly shot anything else
    in the last couple months! I'll be working up a deer load for it this fall, for sure.

As a companion gun to my Redhawk 45/45 I bought a stainless Rossi with a 20" barrel chambered in .45 Colt last year. Love the way it carries and it fits in my hand like it was made just for me. Gonna buy another in 357/38 to go along with my Blackhawk sometime after I get moved into the new house.....
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

Got the sights regulated today, old 158 gr SWC target loads worked great! Windage a bit of a concern, once I got the front sight drifted to where it needed to be it looked like it was going to fall off.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 24" octagonal barrel 38/357 at Christmas. Love it!!! Lee 158 RFN, 38 Special cases, 3.8 grains of TiteGroup. The Lee 158 RFN does not feed in my rifle in 357 Mag cases run through the magazine. Boolit nose hangs up on chamber mouth. It will feed Lee 158 TLSWC in magnum cases, but I simply enjoy the standard 38 Special load more. Everyone I've let shoot it at the range comes up all smiles. I have the 44 Mag '92 as well, but the 357 gets the most attention.

Boolit Grand Master

It certainly is a crowd-pleaser, JohnH. I had the entire rifle & pistol range to myself today so it's unanimous, this little carbine's a shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Got the sights regulated today, old 158 gr SWC target loads worked great! Windage a bit of a concern, once I got the front sight drifted to where it needed to be it looked like it was going to fall off.
    Picture?

Does yours have the one built into the barrel/magazine band

or the dove tailed in behind the band?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."