Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingMCD Products
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2

Thread: Need bullet mould for my new 91/30

Need bullet mould for my new 91/30

I just picked up a very nice 91/30 Mosin Nagant. As far as I can tell the barrel is new. It was also once a sniper as I can see the holes on the inside of the receiver that have been plugged.
    I slugged the barrel and it measures out at .313" I would like to get a Lee mould that casts a 160-190 gr bullet at .314". Is there a standard mould that casts that large or am I going to have to wait for someone to start a group buy for something like what I want?
    Thanks,
    Van

Lee Precison doesn't intentionally produce a mold who dimension is that large. However, you may find one designed for the .303 that casts large enough for your M-N or you can "beagle" it (search the Castpics site for a "how to" article on Beagling a Mold). On the other hand, look around for a new or used Lyman #314299, which WILL cast large enough on both its bore riding nose and body to fit your rifle. I've used it in 3 Finnish Nagants and 1 Arg. Mauser with great success.

Smile

My Lee CTL-312-160-2R "7.62x39" mould casts boolits that size just a bit in a .314" sizer. I haven't developed a really accurate load in 7.62x54R with it, but some that shoot as well as Hungarian heavy ball milsurp. Haven't worked with it a lot as I have the original Fat Thirty and NuJudge GB moulds. Lots of folks have reported good success with the C-312-185-F .303 mould in Mosins.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Ditto #314299 for me. M27 finnish moisin. Casts .314 on the body and .303-.304 on the bore riding section. Liked it so much got a second one in case anything happened to the first. Frank

Thanks guys. I was hoping to get away with a new Lee mould ( I like the way they cast and really like the price!) but it sounds like I'll have to start looking for one of the Lyman 314299's. Don't I remember some fat 30 group buy moulds a while back? Anybody got one of those they want to get rid of?
    Thanks again,
    Van

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Van,

All I can say is that I've always had luck with the Lyman 314299 when I choose to go that route. Having so much surplus I generally don't bother. I've also done well with the various Lee .311 designs in guns with .311 bores, but of course in a .313 bore, that could prove problematic.

Smile

Think about trying Lee's "7.62x39" moulds. Tumble lube or conventional grooves according to your preference. Won't be out much if you decide it's not what you want.

I have NOT found it the case that Lee's moulds cast no larger than their nominal size. Lee's stated size tolerance is -.000, +.003", and the ones I have tend to the large end of the tolerance range. That's caused me problems with my C309-200-2R, which is on the slim side of "Fat Thirties."
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee C312-185-1R,it pours .3135 with 1/3 lino and 2/3 WW. My 91/30 is a shade over .312 so it shoots fine. It is usually the first one I try in the 303 and Russian.

Most of the Lee moulds I have pour on the large side.

beemer

Boolit Bub
    Van,
    Like Beemer, the Lee 185 (WC W/W) works great in my two M-39's & 91-30. 16.5-2400 gives me 1-1/2 Moa.. Good luck! ..Dennis
    First in Last Out!

I've had decent luck with the .312-TL-160-2R. (Same mold ricochet suggests).

Mine drops at about .312, maybe .313. Shoots just fine in my .312 91/30. I use air cooled wheel weights exclusively. I have gotten only about 4moa out of it, but I am pretty sure the load can do better. I'm a lousy shot (really lousy), and my mosin's sights were loose until recently. (I just put microclick mojo sights on it). I realized the front sight fixture was wobbling back and forth up to 1/8 of an inch! I usually use 7 to 14 grains of red dot with this bullet.