Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: S&w 38/44 HD value

Boolit Bub

S&w 38/44 HD value

Hey guys, looking for some info/ opinion for the value of a S&w heavy duty 38/44. It's a transition gun 4" but still long Action. Was a duty gun for FT Smith and is so engraved on back strap "City of Ft Smith. 81" now the bad... it was reblued by someone with a heavy hand on the polishing. It's a smooth even finish but they didn't use screws to plug the hole on side plate etc so they are dished some. Most markings are ok but they buffed most of the S&w emblem out . No original grips. came with set of Old franzite Imitation stag. And I put some plastic magna wannabes. any thoughts?

Attachment 168478Attachment 168479Attachment 168480

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Had the gun been left alone and NOT reblued, mechanically OK, but with little finish original finish remaining, it would still be a $500 gun. One in VG+ to Exc. $750, Exc.+ with box ~$1000

But what you have here at best is a $350 shooter...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I wish it was left alone... tthat' around the number I was thinking,thanks. It does shoot nice though and is smooth like all the old Smith's.
    This is kind of a side note but is there an area on this forum or maybe another site that someone could recommend appraisals? Not for this but I have a few older peices I'm curious about.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would search GunBroker and see what similar pieces are actually selling for. That will give you a range.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Tried checking GB but all the ones I've seen have been nice or collector type revolvers. I tried looking at the old auctions but for some reason no matter what gun I put in search it still shows none. Hmm

Boolit Master
    $350 seems crazy low to me.
    How's the action? How's it shoot? Has the cylinder been reamed to accept .357?
    If the gun function like normal i'd expect an easy $500.
    If I saw that sitting in the display at my local gun store I'd buy it in a heart beat for $350.

Boolit Master

FWIW, I'd immediately buy it at $350, would have to think about it at $400, and would probably pass on it at $450. Enjoy it as a shooter, and be glad you don't have to fuss about it losing any collector value as you put it to honest use. I hope you didn't overpay, thinking you had an investment on your hands.

I have such a handgun. It is a 1947 production, still with the long action. I acqured it in 1993 for $125.00 in an Odessa Texas pawn shop. It had an after market nickle plating that was badly peeling. I had the nickle striped and reblued. I did not op for a high polish blue to restrict the polishing to a minimum. It came out rather well and is a great shooter. It is going to hang around my house as long as I have a say in the matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 38-44 Heavy Duty.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Char Gar has the neatest guns and grips I have ever seen. Thank you for posting all the neat pics.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. It's still 38 spl and shoots well. Cylinder gap to forcing cone is alittle deep but other than that it's decent. I grabbed it at a pawn shop for cheap and though about making a project out of it but plans Change ya know. Now it just sits in the safe. Tried teaching the Misses to shoot with it but she didn't like the weight prefers the k frame. Oh well

Boolit Bub
    I found this transitional HD is a pawn shop in 1998. I paid $225.00. The barrel had been cut to 4". I strongly suspect a S&W factory job. The crown is S&W and the front sight is perfectly remounted.
    It came w/ a set of magna grips and a S&W marked grip adapter. I think it was a DPS trooper's gun @ one time. There was almost no finish remaining on the gun. But neither was there rust! As it had already been modified, I felt no guilt of having it glass bead blasted and reblued. it shoots very well.

I bought this 1955 HD rom Gunbroker 1.5 years ago for $525.00 it has the very desirable 5" barrel. A very good shooter. it looks better then the pictures, which are over lit

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Boolit Grand Master
    400-450 is what I would pay for it, assuming sound action and decent bore. If it was 350, I'd own it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    While not a "Heavy Duty" , I picked up this refinished 4" Third Model Hand Ejector in 44 special with late model PC magna stocks a couple of months ago for 400 bucks.

It was polished somewhat heavily and the screw holes are dished and you can see the side plate "line" very easily.

This gun was quite possibly was nickel plated when it left the factory and whoever did the refinish work most probably buffed what was left of the nickel off with a heavy hand.

All that identified, I find it very hard nowadays to pass up any Smith & Wesson N frame in shootable condition for less than $450 bucks.

Dates from around 1930, locks up tight and shoots very well for being around 86 years old.

Last edited by ATCDoktor; 05-20-2016 at 10:09 PM.