Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62 x 40 WT, A few snags.

Boolit Master

As an added note to anyone removing any of the metal slug/cylinder in a rifle length buffer to lighten the mass. When you make a new replacement slug/cylinder, make it the same length as the original. I took out the hard wood slug I used to try out my buffer, and worked down a piece of hard plastic from a screw driver handle, works great.

You need everything the same length, as this type AR rifle buffer is designed to have a "rattle". Has to do with the harmonics of the bolt carrier group, and bolt bounce back.

Other type buffers may have powdered tungsten or bb's and the above does not apply.

Just don't replace the inner parts of the buffer and try to make it nice and tight and quiet. It was not designed to be made this way.

The buffer may well work with parts fitted tight, but just saying it was not in the design to be used as such.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Went out and shot some 110 gr Nosler Varmegeddons with Imr4227 and it went perfectly, Cycled, locked bolt back on empty mag, and dropped them in a nice tight group at 100 yards.

All my empties are dropping in one nice pile at 3 o'clock, with the lightened buffer, so all seems well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you happen to be looking for a mold for the X40.
    a couple of us drew this one up and Tom is cutting the first mold right about now.
    it'll be good in other stuff like the 0-6 and 308 too.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=31-155W-D.png

I bought this mold and loaded to 2.130",it feed flawlessly in my barrel with M4 feed ramps and a modified PMag.
    Last edited by timberhawk; 05-11-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Mold
    I was running a 300BLK for a couple of years and found the 7.62x40 and have not looked back. I don't care about subsonic living in NY so my loads are for hunting, 125gr Nosler BT and 147-150gr anything for practice. I built a 20" , mid gas rifle with a WT barrel and an Ares Defense lower that I just love. The best powders I have found are the Accurate 1680 for the 125's and 5744 for the 150's. Both bullets are doing well over 2500 using loads around 1gr OFF max., again 20" barrel.
    Sub 1" groups for the 125's and with Hornady 150 fmj, pulled 147's shoot around 1.250" or so with perfect functioning. The A5477 is a great powder if you want to load hotter or heaver bullets and you can't really get in trouble with A1680 because of case capacity, problem is around here in NewYorkastan you can't find it but if you want to take a day trip I found it from Pa. to Fl. no problem.
    The cartridge is great for deer and hogs out to 200yds or more, burns half the powder of a 308 Win. and because of normal throating (Not using 220gr bullets) you can shoot cheaper, normal bullets ............... win,win.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info Kfisch, and welcome to the best site on the web!

Boolit Master

Just like to say this. Would I recommend an X-Caliber brand barrel?

Yes I would, as the barrel is of high quality, well made and shoots excellent. I am getting more "feel" for shooting the light weight AR Carbine off the bench, and the barrel will do MOA @ 100 yards with monotony with a older 4x Burris scope and Sierra bullets.

Will be working with some more cast load development in the future.