MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: .58 cal round ball and Hi skor 800x

.58 cal round ball and Hi skor 800x

Hey all, have any of you fine folks ever use 800x in 20ga slug application? I would like to load the lee .58 cal round ball in a 3" Fiocchi hull, trap commander wad, with 3 .125 28ga nitro cards under ball and 1 in cavity of the wad, Slugs r us load data for their hammer head slugs is 30 grs, with a total extraction weight of 410grs, my set up is 325grs, I do like to swap out the primer with a fed 209a for better ignition, I have had good results using blue dot and herco. What do you think? Thanks for your advice. HC

Not exactly a round ball load, but this load is similar weight and worked for me.

This is the formula I have been using for a mild slug load that has proven successful deer hunting. 2 3/4 AA shells, Winchester wads (white) over 16.0 grains of Herco with 400 grain Ohaus .58 caliber hollow base muzzleloader mold. I've been using hot glue to fill the hollow base, cutting it off flush with a razor knife. Using 40 lbs of pressure to seat the wad. Found it works better to seat the wad and boolit at the same time. Puts them on average 1137 fps.

I have planned on making a similar load using a round ball and a plastic sabot on top of the wad, otherwise similar specs to above load. I have the components set out, but have yet to assemble them.

Unless I am reading your thread incorrectly...I know your using a lighter projectile and longer shell casing which justifies more powder, but 30 grs of blue dot or herco sounds a little much to me. I would leave my self some wiggle room and start somewhat lower on the powder charges and work up....chrono often to build up a load.

Sorry, but I have no experience with 800x powder.
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 04-27-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Thanks for the response warrp8nt, the herco load I use 26-28 grs, for the blue dot 32-36grs, this data comes from a trusted friend with a ton of experience in testing and loading slugs, however, he to has never used 800x. The Lyman 5th has some data for 800x in thier slug loading section for 20ga, 19.5grs in a waa20 wad winchester aa hull, and 21.0grs waa20 wad Remington sts hull, and 25grs rxp20 wad Fiocchi hull, I'm currantly loading the Fiocchi load and will give them a try soon, I'll post my results. Thanks HC

Boolit Master

Hat, everything I find calls for a much faster powder with 3/4 oz loads in 20 ga and none with that light load in 3" hulls. Lots out there for 1 and 1 1/8 oz in 20 using 800x, but relatively high pressure.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings Hatcreek, Please give us the follow up as to how things are going with you and your family.
    I feel good and at home when you start shooting those beautiful .575" RB

I never tried 800 X along with a few others like IMR Trail Boss, Accurate Solo 1000, Alliant Pro Reach and Alliant e3 known to burn clean !

Wish I had.

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots