Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Stopped by recycling/metals yard yesterday--lots of lead

Boolit Grand Master

Stopped by recycling/metals yard yesterday--lots of lead

Alot of it though was in the form of lead sheet, probably taken from a dental lab walls or something like that. Had a ton sitting on a pallet. In a 55gal drum were downrigger weights, probably 5 lbs each, kind of shaped like a fish. A few WW's in another. Alltogether, probably on the order of 7000 lbs of lead just sitting there.

Bad thing is that they want $1/lb and I know they only paid 10 cents/lb at the most.

As long as they don't expect me to buy all 7,000 pounds I've no problem with $1/lb. Where?

Boolit Master
    My local yard has gone up in price...88lbs cost me $56. I can live with that.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    35$ for a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights, when done sorting and melting, 87 lbs of COWW poured into ingots and 29 lbs of SOWW in ingots in my stash! I guess that's not TOO bad of a return. .31 cents per lb, i'm satisfied for now with that price. Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I have ben getting wheel weights for doughnuts. I am not complaining just bragging. A few weeks ago I found a tire iron in the road so I traded it for a bucket of lead. It was a good deal I thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Time to make a deal. Seems that whenever the sales people know I have cash on me they do not want me to leave with it. But, it must be worth my time and effort. Some cash in the hand now is better than hoping it will arrive in the future. Check back from time to time and see if they still have that 7000 pounds. If they still have it or still a large part of it, again time to discuss a deal. It works some times and other time not, if not, then I walk. Leave them with your contact info with a price and quantity you are interested in and see if they call. That has worked also.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The days of a nickle popsicle are Long Gone!
    Last edited by John Boy; 04-19-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    Located in Western Colorado

Boolit Master

California in the mountains IMHO

There must be 10 bars running 80# each still at the local scrap yard, they gunned as almost pure Pb. But I don't need pure Pb, at least I don't think I do, oh wait how much is it? Hmmm? No! Get thee behind me Satan, and hey! stop pushing! Yards should pick up as the weather gets nicer. More folks doing construction, or cleaning out a shed or whatever and that brings in scrap. Found someone had brought in 63# of linotype as ingots last spring, who knows what this season will bring!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    The Yard I deal with usually has Mon otype or Lino for around $1 per # in original Form.
    I only buy those Alloys in a Form that can be Identified. They always have tons of Sheet Lead, and Tin hanging around Too.
    Some Outfit brings in large Ingots of pure tin every so often, but it was $14 per# a few Months ago. I don't recall the exact weight, but it was probably 20-30# each.
    Greg

I take in the current day's Kitco price chart for virgin lead. Sometimes that has let me successfully negotiate the price at a scrap yard down closer to reality. They don't really check every day what market prices are for metals. It's more of a gut check and a "What was it yesterday? Yep, that sounds good for today, too."

And it really doesn't matter what the yard paid someone for it - you are letting emotion guide your negotiations. All that matters is what price you can get them to sell it to you at.

Good luck, GarrisonJoe

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    35$ for a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights, when done sorting and melting, 87 lbs of COWW poured into ingots and 29 lbs of SOWW in ingots in my stash! I guess that's not TOO bad of a return. .31 cents per lb, i'm satisfied for now with that price. Just my .02.
    30$ a 5 gallon bucket, canadian. 135lbs.
    117lbs after sorting the garbage.

Boolit Buddy
    Took some metal to my local salvage area and asked what they were giving/selling lead for. Soft lead they paid 35 cents, 5 cents for bullets and wheel weights. They turn around and sell it for 70 or 80 cents a pound to me. They have a couple of local auto shops that bring the weights in for 5 cents a lb. Crazy

Boolit Grand Master

The yards around here won't sell to the public. A dollar a pound for scrap sounds a little expensive to me. But if you need it and its hard for you to find then talk to them.