Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Options in a wheel gun for CCW in 45 Colt?

Boolit Master

I'm really starting to think a cimarron is in my future.

Boolit Master

As mentioned Taurus made a 5 shot 2" .45 Colt. Smith as made a few carry .45 Colts find a 625-11!

both 625-10 (acp) and 625-11 (colt) (off the net)

one of the best CCW revolvers was Smith 3xx Night Guard series. Made in .38 SPL, .357, .41 mag, .44 spl, .44 mag and .45 ACP. You maybe able to convert one to .45 Colt.

325 NG

Smith also made 325 Thunder Ranch and 325 PD both again in .45 ACP

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 12-16-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master

Thae .357 is a whole lot more concealable than an N-frame. An N-frame works under a down vest or similar
    bulky garment, but otherwise, pretty hard to conceal, even with a suit coat or sport coat.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Can you recommend a CCW holster for that? I have an identical model in an a large frame vaquero. I would like to be able to carry it on my slim and tall figure, but it's hard to find a variety of choices for CCW SA revolvers, particularly blackhawk cylinder size ones.
    I have a couple made by Mernickle Holsters that I carry a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt in, but I couldn't tell you current prices cause I have had mine 8-10 years now.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Grand Master

Taurus model 450 , 45 colt , 5 shot , 2 inch barrel , fixed sights.
    I have this one chambered in 45 acp (model 455) and it works just fine CC , with inside or outside the waistband holster. Slightly bulkier than a J frame S&W but carries a lot of lead !
    Mine is also very accurate.
    Gary

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    I thought those (S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt) were only in 44 cal hmmm.......
    There was a run of 5000 made some years back. I have one. I made my very best offhand shot ever with it, a steel ram @ 220 yards, with a cast Boolit of course

If you want a 5" barrel .45 Colt caliber, find a S&W model of 1989. They made 2000 of those.
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Boolit Buddy
    It is amazing what people can conceal. A 4" N frame or similar is not unreasonable to conceal in a belt holster. For summer carry I would recommend a well designed, quality, leather IWB holster with 3" larger shorts than you waist size to start, add a tucked in light weight wicking under shirt and a untucked button down shirt and your good to go.

If you want an easily concealable gun you could make a Fitz special. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FitzGerald_Special
    Fitz carried two Colt Newservice revolvers so modified in his pockets.

One thing I learned with carrying a S&W M19 4" was that a pair of Perry suspenders made the gun much more enjoyable to carry.
    "A house divided against its self can not stand" Abraham Lincoln

We hunters, trappers, fishermen, and shooting sports enthusiasts are the house. But we are divided and are our own worst enemy. If we do not stand together we will fall individually.

Boolit Bub
    Carried a S&W 325pd .45acp scandium frame like the one Combat Driver has in his post, its a very light carry gun. Also carried a Smith 625 4" steel .45acp and it can be done. These can be loaded pretty stout. For a fun piece take a look at the S&W 627 38/357 4 inch. Smith flattened the barrel to remove some weight and 8 rounds of .357 make for some strong medicine. All these revolvers can be quickly loaded with moon clips.

Boolit Master

I like my Blackhawk. And I've got a 94 winchester paired with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The first C of CCW stands for Concealed.
    I'm already starting to question your logic.

As for Blackhawk vs. Redhawk; yes the Blackhawk is a single action revolver and the Redhawk is a double action revolver but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are identical beyond action type. That's kind of like saying a bicycle and a Ferrari are both land vehicles but with different propulsion systems. Technically true but not terribly relevant. Those are very different platforms.

As for 45 Colt vs. 44 magnum - that is an old debate that has filled many lengthy threads for far more pages than I care to read.
    I will say that I owned, loaded for and shot both side by side. The 45 Colt has a longer history and is steeped in nostalgia. I'm sure the 45 Colt can be fine tuned to shoot very well but I'm convinced the 44 Magnum is easier to tweak. I gave up on the 45 Colt years ago.
    If I was going to seek a handgun/rifle combo that used a common cartridge and it HAD to be either a 44 mag or 45 Colt; I would tend to gravitate to the 44 mag.
    If it had to be a big bore and I could find a decent 44 Special DA revolver, that would be my cartridge of choice. The 44 Special is a far more friendly cartridge when you add the CCW criteria to the mix.

If I could drop the cartridge to a 38/357 class - there are a LOT more choices for a viable CCW gun and a companion common cartridge rifle.
    Exactly, a large frame DA revolver IMO is not really concealable, for most people. Maybe up in Alaska a person could CC one year round. Now a three inch SA revolver might be, it has a smaller diameter cylinder than an N frame size. I tend to like 44 spl for SD, than 45 LC. There are some 5 shot 44 spl, and 45 acp options for CCW.

Now talking OC is whole different story, lately I have been OCing both a S&W Model 21, and a Pietta SA 1873 both loaded with 44 spl. Just because I can.

Boolit Master

.url]
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.