RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing a press

Lubing a press

What do you use to lube you reloading press? Same for the ram as the linkages? How often do you do it?

Boolit Buddy
    I use a drop of good oil on the linkage and on the ram I use dry graphite lube . Others here will chime in with their favorites I'm sure .

I use 90-140W syn gear oil for the ram and thinner syn oil for the linkage pins. I do this maybe every year or so (5,000 rds).

Boolit Master
    A drop of M-Pro 7 on the ram and hinge points occasionally. Don't overdo it.

Boolit Grand Master

I use light grease on the rams ( RCBS new summit press has a grease zerk on the post slider. ) a medium wieght oil on linkages. It dosnt take alot of lube but you want something to hang not flow away over time

Boolit Master

Another question that is asked repeatedly and a Search will yield the answer.

Critical tolerance parts get Breakfree. Non-critical parts get motor oil or a grease.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Breakfree on all moving parts, nuf said.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

I just use gun oil. I have it in a needle nose dispenser and a drop here and there on the linkage and ram goes a really long way.

When I get a new press I will work the ram several hundred times with liberal amounts of motor oil wiping it clean every so often until the black crud goes away. From then forward it's just what I described above.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

People use anything and everything to lube presses. They all seem to work. I use Mobil 1.

Banned
    There's not much demand placed on the lubricant used on a press. They don't run at high speeds and they don't get hot.

Dillon recommends 30 weight oil on the ram and grease on the linkage pivot points. I've been using 30 weight oil & wheel bearing grease on my presses for years and never had a problem.

Frankly, the stresses are so low that just about any lubricant will work. As long as you don't run them dry I think you'll be OK.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-10-2016 at 08:32 PM.

30 weight motor oil here.

Banned

Super Lube grease on the ram and Super Lube oil on the other moving parts, as little as necessary.

Boolit Grand Master

Old fashioned 3 in 1 , synthetic 2 stroke , PB blaster Lubricant , motor oil , home made CLP - equal parts ATF and kerosene and Rem Oil all seem to work fairly well . My latest Lubricant to use on press lube-sizer and some guns is Lucas Gun Oil , supposed to be a polymeric film that protects parts , neutralizes acids and resists drying during long periods.... we shall see. I'm cleaning and lubing several rifles and shotguns that have been in a closet for several years and will see how Lucas does.
    To be honest the stuff looks like my home made CLP (ATF and Kerosene) but it smells much better, very important when the guns stay in the bedroom. The "odorless " on the bottle got my attention.
    The ATF and kerosene is a pretty good CLP , I use it a lot in the shop , but it does have a bit of stink to it and I prefer to share the bedroom with my wife .
    Gary

Le Loup Solitaire
    I use either white lithium grease or ordinary lubricating oil. Both work well. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

Dillon gets Lucas Red-N-Tacky for the pivot points and motor oil on the ram like the instructions call for. All my other presses get white lithium grease. I use the grease as a rust preventative as well since it seems to hold it off the longest. Everything rusts here so it's a constant battle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    I use either white lithium grease or ordinary lubricating oil. Both work well. LLS
    Same here.

Boolit Master

I use Ed's red oil, not the 4 part bore cleaner, the 2 part oil. It works for almost everything that needs to be lubed.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Oil that I have laying around, maybe 30wt or penetrating oil.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Lithium grease, Rem Oil, Ed's Red, or Dexron ATF. It depends on which one is closest at the time. On my RCBS RS(old one) it's ATF because that's what the original owner used. It works pretty good.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Whatever you use , use it sparingly as it will attract dust.