RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Oh so close to owning a pre-button Marlin 35 Rem.

Boolit Master

Oh so close to owning a pre-button Marlin 35 Rem.

On the way home yesterday I stopped at my friendly Cabela's for a quick browse of their used gun racks. Had that: "I need another rifle." thought in mind. Yep a 444 or better yet a 45-70 would be so pleasing to find.. Nope!! neither Marlin was sighted in the racks this time.
    Found something else. 336 wo/button 35 Rem. Not a waffle top. Plain top newer built I suppose. Bluing overall was in really good shape. Not at all showing any carry. I took my time in examining. Dropped my bobber light down its standard length barrel. Yup a decent Micro groove barrel. Very nice wood appearance. Shame. Looked like the 35 hadn't spent much time in the field. Holy moly!!! Immediate sticker shock. Price tag of 689 just whiped out the idea of my buying for the time being.
    You tell me: Now is that price appropriate for a 80 or 85% NRA rating?

Boolit Master
    Not for me!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Man
    Cabela's is weird. Sometimes they're very overpriced and then other times you can get a fairly good deal. This one is overpriced.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to Cabelas just to peruse the gun rack the other day. I'm always on the hunt for new lever action rifles that I just "can't live without."
    They had two Marlin 336's side by side. Both in 30-30. Looked about the same era.
    No safeties, micro groove barrels. Same barrel length etc.
    The prices? One was 399 one was 599. Go figure.
    Their pricing sometimes really doesn't make any sense.
    Didnt have the money to take either home anyway.

Boolit Master
    I also found one other. Long barrel 1894 Win in 38-55. Didn't bother to check that one out. Pretty scared look'in stock with a hanging tag wanting 12 hundred and change. I suspect a 1894 Winny that probably didn't meet the criteria for their primo gun room exhibit. Oh well I guess I'll go back later in the week for another look see. Maybe get lucky. Maybe not. Still have a couple local mom & pop gun shops yet to check out that undoubtedly price their used firearms within reason.

Boolit Master
    Cabela's has a weird pricing scheme. They set a price on something and after awhile if it doesn't sell they mark it down on the price tag. Then again if it doesn't sell at that price they mark it down again on the tag. My K38 was marked down three times before I got it. Don't know if this holds true for all stores but I did notice this in the Gonzalez, Louisiana store. Frank

Boolit Master
    Their pricing sometimes really doesn't make any sense.
    Cabela's has a weird pricing scheme.
    Yup I agree. It's crazy. Seems like they go by the Blue Book of Gun Values then always {over} estimate their used firearms resale value. Although their inventory of used was kind'a on the low side also which may have some effect on pricing. Maybe not?
    I'd tell you the store I frequent Frank but one has to remain slick in these matters of procrastination. Best to keep such info under ones hat. Otherwise that 35 may end up going home under some others arm. If you catch my drift sir.

Boolit Grand Master

If you're interested make an offer. Some stores will negotiate, some won't. Doesn't cost a dime to ask and will be good to know in the future. I'm pretty familiar with the pricing strategy, sometimes they put too much into a gun and will have to initially price it a bit high. I've bought several from the Gun Library and it pays to get to know those guys if you're interested in a nice old gun now and then.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Great levergun, but not at that price. If you do not mind buying online, you can do much better at Kittery Trading Post, Williams Gunsight or even Gunbroker.

Boolit Master
    If you're interested make an offer.
    I'll have to give that a try.

If you do not mind buying online,
    I kind'a shy away from those on line buys. Don't have a FFL. Than too. FFL commission and charging me State Tax brings the firearms price up to near what I would pay in my local shops. Bought a couple weapons from a auction site years ago. Than they changed their system of bidding which I didn't care for.

Boolit Master
    Went back today (4-8) to see if I could get a better price on that JM pre-cross bolt safety 336/ 35 Rem. Procrastination on my part got the best of me this time. Yup >that sweet look'in 35 went home under some others arm. Oh well another time perhaps.

Keep looking, they are around. I bundled a pair of beauty's about a year ago for $750 out the door. Both mid seventies 336's. Jm stamp no button. 30/30 and .35 rem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Keep looking, they are around
    Oh I intend too.

Checked out my favorite mom & pop gun store today besides cabela's. Two or three JM's I looked at there. Sadly non were 35. Again I'm in no hurry. But I do want a nice 80-90% one.