Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Henry pump action rimfire rifle impressions?

Henry pump action rimfire rifle impressions?

Anybody shot or used the Henry pump action rifle in 22 long rifle? Any impressions you would like to share?
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Banned

I was just looking at one, and thought it would be cool to own, but also thought it might be a jam-o-matic. Will be watching this thread.

Boolit Master
    Pump action 22s of yesteryear where quite reliable. No first hand experience with the new stuff

Boolit Master

I'll hold out for a 25-20 or a 32-20 pump.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

have one, VG IMO, haven't shot it much....never a jam thus far....smooth/accurate, good fit & finish...would buy again...

Boolit Master
    Been craving one also. In my eyes, it is essentially the same as their .22 lever gun but the motion work that draws/pushes bolt is different. It otherwise feeds just like the lever gun and I speculate it probably uses a lot of the same components. I have a standard Henry .22 lever from when they were 1st brought to market, when it was their only gun and it has been stellar! It has fed & fired thousands of rounds without any trouble. Henry makes a good gun, I doubt the pump model would disappoint. I would like to see a bigger model pump though! A pump in 44-40, 45 Colt, .38/.357, .44spl/Mag! How about more obscure? .327 Fed Mag or .41 mag! Pump .22 Hornet?!

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Bought one a few weeks ago. Works like a charm. Still new and stiff, but nothing a few thousand round won't cure...

I shot a friends new Henry lever in 22WMR two weeks ago. It had the octagonal barrel and black receiver rather than the brass look, wood and metal work were excellent. This is obviously heresy but I have to state it was smoother in action than my 1979 Marlin 39m. There were no mis-feeds with two tubes of jacketed round nose WMR.
    the trigger was light with no take up or creep.
    i cannot talk to accuracy however. He had only had it a few days and the sights needed wind age adjustment. With the open sights and some Kentucky wind age I did hit a soft drink bottle across a dam at 110-120 metres but after at least ten shots!
    I would change the barley corn and bull ear type sights for square open or peep but apart from that would buy one. The only other thing to state is that they are heavy, I don't know how the actual numbers compar to a 39a or a win 9422.

Edit: oops! I missed the pump in the title!
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 04-06-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

I would guess that the pump would use as many parts as possible between it and the levers. As others stated the pump gun would be fun. My lever 22WMR is a very good gun. As to accuracy it does not like the 30 grain HV stuff but loves the 40 grain stuff. 22 LR's can be fussy, but that is typical of the caliber. Some brands pattern in one gun and one hole in another.

DP

I had the basic Henry .22 LR pump. Bought new. It was the most accurate .22 Ive owned after my CZ bolt. Seriously. 1/2 at 50 yards with good ammo.

Never a jam or part failure. And fun. And if you do have a problem--best customer service on the planet. I can vouch for that from an experience with another Henry rifle.

i memorably dropped a running jack rabbit with it at 50 yards--which impressed my son (that doesn't happen often) and surprised the hell outta me.

i owned a Remington pump, which looked and handled beautifully, but wasn't particularly accurate.

Three very picky, picky reservations about the Henry:
    -- my standing shooting style isn't steady when holding the pump handle--I like elbow to the chest, silhouette style. Same goes for any pump.
    -- Henry doesn't tap the receiver for a receiver sight, which i would love to put on it. Several solutions for that.
    -- (my biggest complaint) when operating the slide, the bolt coming back over the hammer clipped the skin off my right thumb knuckle a few too many times. Probably an idiosyncratic way I gripped the rifle.

that said, buy it! If Rimfire ammo wasn't in short supply, I'd buy another in .22 mag--thumb be damned.