Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: M-1 Garand sold on online auction

In Remembrance

M-1 Garand sold on online auction

An online auction locally just closed. An Springfield Armoury M-1 Garand that the seller said was 1955 vintage and looked in very nice condition sold for $901, there were 29 bidders.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Thats not a bad price for a good clean garand. WOuld be nice to know throat gage and muzzle gage nubers on it too.

And...

Wuzzint me. I got a good one, so I ain't buying and I got a good one, so I ain't selling.

Boolit Buddy
    The vast majority of Springfield Armory production of the M1 rifles occurred between the late 1930's and 1945. At the conclusion of WW2 production stopped (there was very limited production by SA after WW2, but primarily those were special purpose rifles such as National Match and sniper rifles).

As the Korean War wound up there was a need for rifles. WW2 M1's in government stores were sent out for inspection and overhaul at several US Army Depot activities. Any rifles with throat or muzzle erosion beyond a fixed standard were rebarreled, and those barrels were marked with the month and year of production.

I suspect that the rifle in question is one of those refurbished rifles. It is highly unusual anymore to find a M1 Garand that is intact with all original parts, the vast majority having been arsenal-overhauled one or more times with absolutely no attention to reassembly with matched parts.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    And...

And....I made the posting about the M-1 for the single purpose to perhaps answer the recurring question about what an M-1 Garand is going for. Really sorry that I offended your feelings seeing as you already knew what the going price is.Robert

Got it now. Just wanted to know the exact reason for the post. Your right, a lot of people ask about the going rate of M1's. $900 is a pretty decent price for an M1 in good shape.

Boolit Master
    Hardcast,

The prices for Garands keeps going up. At the March 12, 2016 Morris, PA gun show I saw Garands going for $750 up to $1,950. The WWII NRA "good" condition rifles were the starting point and the IH and H&R rifles were mid point and an M-1C sniper with scope was the top price. Very few Garands I saw were in Excellent condition; most were Good+.

Adam

Boolit Master
    A CMP service grade shipped directly to your door with all the correct papers and a nice CMP hard case was around $730 in the summer of 2015.

Why anyone thinks paying more is a good deal is beyond me.

Motor

Boolit Master

Hmm, one day I will have to check, or have it checked, my Springfield M1. I have had it since around 98' or 99', I think I traced the SN to a 45' build. Anyone have a list or pictures of places to check an M1 for serial numbers and/or markings to see if they match?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 1-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	165811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 2-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	165817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 3-1.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	165818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 4-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	165819
    Last edited by Omega; 04-09-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    A CMP service grade shipped directly to your door with all the correct papers and a nice CMP hard case was around $730 in the summer of 2015.

Why anyone thinks paying more is a good deal is beyond me.

Motor
    Good point, maybe we should say it's a good over the counter price.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Hmm, one day I will have to check, or have it checked, my Springfield M1. I have had it since around 98' or 99', I think I traced the SN to a 45' build. Anyone have a list or pictures of places to check an M1 for serial numbers and/or markings to see if they match?

Name:	Garand 1-1.jpg 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	165811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 2-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	165817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 3-1.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	165818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand 4-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	165819
    http://usriflecal30m1.com
    You can find out about all the parts on your rifle here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Good point, maybe we should say it's a good over the counter price.
    I could agree with that but the one here was a auction so you really don't know what you are getting until it's in your hands. Too risky for me. Sorry.

I hope he got a decent one.

The CMP M1 I got was a post Korea rebuild. I think the barrel is also a 1955.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Does $901 include a commission. A lot of auctions have 10% to 20% buyers fee.
    I see Garands for sale at $1000 to $1250. It blows my mind that someone would pay that much when you can go the CMP route for almost half the cost. I wonder how high the retail prices will jump once the CMP sells out.

Boolit Master
    My 1943 Springfield. It's been in our family since 1946, I do believe it is all original.

Name:	GEDC2782.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	165879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC2785.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	165880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC2778.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	165881
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GEDC2779.jpg  
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

CMP for prices, if you don't belong to a club for $25 join the GCA.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Had a chance to get 2 of them in 1996, and the price was right! Should have got them then as I use what I have and they are tools to me.
    Charlie

Boolit Buddy
    good fortune!

Boolit Grand Master

CMP used to require affiliated club membership and you had to have competed in high power matches (120 rds fired or 3 legs or 1 regional and a leg). Alot didnt qualify under those regulations. Also used to be you could only buy one. WAs kind of a pain jumping thru thier hoops. especially thru the mail. I am close enough to drive to CMP north store at Camp Perry. So I can make a run with everything and inspect get what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    CMP used to require affiliated club membership and you had to have competed in high power matches (120 rds fired or 3 legs or 1 regional and a leg). Alot didnt qualify under those regulations. Also used to be you could only buy one. WAs kind of a pain jumping thru thier hoops. especially thru the mail. I am close enough to drive to CMP north store at Camp Perry. So I can make a run with everything and inspect get what I want.

That was what I did. Took a half day off work so I could show up right when the store opened. Walked away with a nice rack grade Garand with all Springfield parts, throat and muzzle measuring 1 and 2 respectively.

Man I love that thing