Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

You can see a bit of lumpiness in the picture but for speed and $avings of not buying gun, foils, trays, not to mention time, I'm ok with that. I'll be shooting them at 25 yards and if they will be in the paper I'll call it accurate enough for my needs.

I don't know if anyone else is doing it but I spray them a bit after the last coat with Pledge to lube them prior to sizing. Used to use One Shot but Pledge is so much cheaper. On a upsidedown lee sizing die it's a breeze to size them after the treatment.

I actually filed two bullets flat before powder coating just to see is there is any measurable difference in hardness. I also saved two bullets from the same casting session to compare "orange to orange". I will measure tonight and post the results.
    Last edited by mpawlina; 06-22-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpawlina View Post
    Hi all!

My attempt at wet coating:

Attachment 142649

Got some sample powder from local shop. Eventually came to mixing ratio of 20 grams to 100ml of acetone. Coats well but still needs two coats for complete coverage. Needs to be dumped on a drying screen while wet or it will get lumpy. Discovered that if you place lumpy boolits back in the coating bucket and add some acetone and remix it it will smooth out completely.

15 min each time at 400 degrees in pid convection oven. Passed smash test. Will shoot 'em this week and report with outcome.
    When I switched from acetone to lacquer thinner it was much nicer to do. but then I went dry tumble and it was even nicer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mpawlina View Post
    I don't know if anyone else is doing it but I spray them a bit after the last coat with Pledge to lube them prior to sizing. Used to use One Shot but Pledge is so much cheaper. On a upsidedown lee sizing die it's a breeze to size them after the treatment.
    I use cable pull lube. It's some sort of wax also. Throw a small dab of it in with a bunch of bullets in a container and kind of tumble lube them. Pour them out and let them dry for a bit or just use them wet. Either way, it seems to work. Cable pull lube doesn't make for a good bullet lube for shooting, but that is what the powder coat is for. I have a 1 gallon bucket of it, so I suspect it's going to last me a LONG time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...1012/202266595

Working with PC bullets in 9MM with my alloy. The HI Tek works for my 38spl and 45Colt. I am hoping PC will work with my 9MM alloy.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Bub
    WOW, 118 pages. Guys I have searched but haven't found answer. How does range recovered PC boolits act when smelting ??

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    It is just plastic. It melts & burns black! The burnt stuff just smokes and floats on the surface. Skim it...........and move on. And no, it is NOT a flux. You still need to use sawdust 3X.

banger

Vendor Sponsor

^^^^ agree melt, skim, flux, cast
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the quick answer. Also thanks to all who have experimented with this procedure,You have made life a lot easier for us new to this addictive hobby. With all this "reload you will save money" I heard, I'm going broke

Boolit Grand Master
    I constantly hear from the wife........"remember this hobby that was going to save us hundreds? Well, it is now costing us THOUSANDS!"

I reply back......."But honey, it keeps me out of the bars and warehouses!" (Well.....at least one of them!)

banger

Boolit Master
    Got a package from Smoke today, Pound of red and a thousand ASBB's. Humidity is down to 82% today in S Fla so thought I would give it a try. My first attempt was a week or so ago using the PC that I use for my fishing jigs. I think they ended up shootable but they certainly were not pretty and I was a little worried about the coverage. Cool whip container, ASBB's and a couple of scoops of powder. Confirmed my yard sale over was reaching 375-400. Away we go. I think they turned out pretty well. The Red 458's and 308's are one coat. Some minor bright spots where I picked them up with the forecepts. The orange/red ones are my earlier attempt recoated with red. They came out pretty nice as well, think the red covered the weak spots in the orange. Gonna try these in my 458 Socom and 300 Blackout for starters. They are slippery!

Attachment 156833

Rats, where did that 308 pic go. Should find it soon.

Here's my first pass.

Since this was my first time using PC for any use, I tested it out on the cast boolits I had rejected & culled out. So these all had wacky problems such as wrinkling, deformities of all kinds, lack of fill out, etc.

But with just two shake & bake passes I got a good first blush. Convection oven was registering 400 on thermometer & controls which is good. Each batch spent 20 minutes cookin. I tried silicon mats as well as aluminum foil + just the plain cookie tray. They all worked equally well.

These are my first 223 cast boolits in powder coat black

Hammer test on concrete

Hand placed on 223 LC brass for an idea of what they'd look like

I've got Harbor Freight powders in black, red and yellow. I think my range ammo will be black and I'll keep red & yellow for specific loads. There are about 800-1000 freshly cast 224 keepers now itching to be PC'd.

I plan to smelt the existing PC rejects back down next time I hit the wheel weight supply. Which will be soon since all my lead ingots are SOWW at the moment.

Boolit Bub
    Hey, I'm planning on giving PC'ing a try. On Harbor Freight's website do I just search for powder coating powder? Do you just tumble them in the powder then bake them?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikeingeorgia View Post
    Hey, I'm planning on giving PC'ing a try. On Harbor Freight's website do I just search for powder coating powder? Do you just tumble them in the powder then bake them?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=powder+coat

OK, got my first set of range ammo done in HF black. I was guesstimating 300-350 and it landed at 352.

I took the ones on the left in the cookie tray...

and made these

I put several handfuls in a single Cool Whip #5 polypropylene container, added perhaps 100+ BB's (half what I originally used) and then followed instructions of 30 seconds circular (both directions) followed by 30 seconds up & down hard. It required 2 coats. I was hoping for one with the non-rejected boolits but got no joy.

@Bangerjim - how do you separate the bb's from the coated boolits? I read you dump 223 because they're small and you do a lot. Either you pick out 100 bb's which are smaller and harder to pick out or you pick out 300+ boolits. Either way it's tedious. Have you figured out a better way to separate the two once you dump?

I am planning on getting separate plastic bowls for each color to keep them as vibrant as possible.

OnceFired
    What kind of velocities are you getting out of the 223? I'm planning on getting a mold and powder coating some myself to try in my mini 14.
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

Haven't shot any yet Desertbuck. These are my first cast in 223. Still need to be sized & gas checked but my FreeChex III is ordered. I have primed, trimmed LC brass waiting to be assembled.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeingeorgia View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to explain. Read the stickies on here about PC'ing.

We all on here developed it over 3 year's time, so you should be willing to spend a few hours reading about how it is done.

banger

And BangerJim is one of the people whose posts I followed.

Boolit Bub
    Alright, let me get my thinkin cap out

2016-03-23 16.00.33.jpg
    Two 185gr Lee brs both from the exact same batch placed side by each and then squarshed in a vice. Very effective anneling at 12 minutes in a toaster oven at 390.
    Probably a very good test to make for a few weeks after cooking, before loading.
    Whatever!