Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Taurus 44 Special

Boolit Master

Taurus 44 Special

A friend bought a Taurus 5 shot 44 special today at our local park and swap. He gave $275.00 for the gun and $25.00 for two boxes factory ammo, and quart zip-lock bag with about 75 rounds of hand loads. I think he got a good deal, what is the concenses?
    Another question is what is with the rubber thing on the face of the hammer? I've never seen this before, I haven't had any experience with Taurus either. I do know that their revolvers are very similar to S&W in apearence.

Boolit Master
    One more thing. It's a blued edition and it is in good or better condition.

Boolit Master
    I'd say he got a decent deal on that as long as the revolver still locks up tight! I have a taurus revolver and haven't had any issues, paid a bit more for it NIB though. I would double check the hand loads.....might break a few down to check how consistent the other guy was.

I've got the stainless version--had mine since 1992. No problems. It's a great compromise between power and size. Mine doesn't have anything rubber on the hammer. Good advice about checking the handloads before firing.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a stainless steel version but in 45 acp , circa 2005. Mine has no rubber thing on the front of the hammer.
    If in good shape , he did all right. Mine has a 2 inch ported barrel, with fixed sights and is quite accurate . Surprisingly accurate in fact . If you like big bore snubbies it's a humdinger.
    I would pay $275 for one in 44 special in a New York second. They are no longer made.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    .45-70
    Have your friend or yourself pull the handloads & salvage the bullet, & brass.
    Unless you know & trust the loader shooting unknown handloads is a set up for disaster.
    You have no way of knowing what's in them, how consistant the loads are, or even if they are safe.
    I'd pull all of them & not risk a gun or injury. Sounds tough? It's not worth a gun or hand.
    By the way the deal sounds ok. I've owned a couple of Taurus & they were good guns.
    Good shooting.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    Thanks All. I have been searching the net for something on the rubber in the face of the hammer, no results. I did find a number for Taurus though, I will call them on Monday.

1+ on break down the reloads, I have over the years got reloads given to me and been shocked at what guys will load. Check and be safe!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

My policy is to pull down any relaoded ammo that comes my way.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Assuming it is a model 441 or 431; they are great guns. I've had 2 of the 441, both 6". Have about 12000 rounds of cast bullet hand loads thru the first one. One caution.....Taurus did not publish any data on their proof test pressures, even when requested;....don't load magnum style hand loads in it.

45-70,
    I had a stainless 4" a while back and it had bad cylinder throats in it. In fact, one had a deep spiral tool mark in it but that was my fault for not checking it. I have no idea about rubber on the hammer.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Master

My policy is to avoid Taurus. When they work, they work, and everybody's happy. When they don't work, the company's practices in helping the customer have left A LOT to be desired over the years. For $275, he didn't get stung too badly. A big bore compact can be a lovely thing.

As to the handloads, let your conscience be your guide. I would tend to empty out Specials of unknown origin through a Redhawk/Blackhawk/Freedom or other .44 Magnum of extra burly construction.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    The Taurus's I've seen lately have been good guns & I'd buy one if presented at a good price & if my funds allowed it.
    I've thought about a Tracker in .41 Mag?

I bought a model 85ch 3" stainless 5 shot .38spl snubby for my mom about 20 years ago. It's a nice looking piece. Took it out and put 50 quick rounds through it and handed it over. Seemed fine. Been sitting in drawers and purse ever since. My daughter has it now. I have read too many posts from angry buyers concerning quality issues and poor customer service for me to reach for my wallet. I wish your friend luck with his new purchase and please post back with a good range report.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I bought a model 85ch 3" stainless 5 shot .38spl snubby for my mom about 20 years ago. It's a nice looking piece. Took it out and put 50 quick rounds through it and handed it over. Seemed fine. Been sitting in drawers and purse ever since. My daughter has it now. I have read too many posts from angry buyers concerning quality issues and poor customer service for me to reach for my wallet. I wish your friend luck with his new purchase and please post back with a good range report.
    Sounds like the one you bought is doing fine or you wouldn't have trusted it to your Mother & now Daughter?
    I'm wondering for each one who's had trouble how many have had fine service? We usually only hear the bad news?

Boolit Master

My friend had a Taurus snubby that locked up and wouldn't work. He sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it pretty quick. He carries a Smith now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Sounds like the one you bought is doing fine or you wouldn't have trusted it to your Mother & now Daughter?
    I'm wondering for each one who's had trouble how many have had fine service? We usually only hear the bad news?
    I honestly doubt that it's been fired since then. I'll get my hands on it again and give it a real 'what fer' And I agree about the bad reports out numbering the good by 50/1. Human nature to lash out when one's been done wrong. Still, no excuse for poor service and warranty problems.

Boolit Master
    Nope no excuse for poor customer service. Not at all!
    I've never had to use Taurus CS.