RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Which Two Rossi Pair Would You Buy?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45 Colt/.357 Mag Combo

14 58.33%
  • .454 Casull/.357 Mag Combo

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Two Rossi Combo's Would You Buy? .454 Casull/.357 Mag or 45 Colt/.357 Mag

Which Two Rossi Combo's Would You Buy? .454 Casull/.357 Mag or 45 Colt/.357 Mag

Of the 3 listed, which have you shot and had good luck with them, and which combo would you buy? All and I I would love to find some a set of 45 Colt and .357 Mag Marlins.

I don't own a Rossi, yet. I have lust for a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt.

As far as your question - I've read recommendations about the .454 Casull model over the .45 Colt, because of the beefier action and the ability to use both rounds in the same gun rather than just .45 Colt. So I'd have to say the .454/.357 combo.

But that might depend on what model Rossi rifles you want. I want the blued receiver, 24" octagonal barrel, and those aren't offered in .454 Casull.

Perma-Banned

I am about to buy a 92...probably tomorrow will be the day to buy it online...I will get the .357 to go along with my .357 revolvers. I already have the .44 pair...sold my colt guns...but I like to have the handgun/rifle combo's be the same caliber.

As far as strength, the 92 action is already stronger than the Marlin, so the .45 will take all of the hot colt loads that you want to feed it, so no need to get the .454 unless you want to shoot that cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd get the .454 Casul and the .357 mag but I also look at it from a slight worst case scenario point of view. Part of why I got the .357 mag revolver is that if I'm ever scrounging for ammo it will eat a wider variety. Find a couple of wadcutters? Cool. Load up some 000 buck with a pinch of powder as a small game load? check. And of course it will eat .38 special or .357. I like that versatility. So if you're thinking along those lines, the .454 offers greater versatility and for hot loads I've heard the .454 brass has a longer life than a .45 colt loaded hot.

On the other hand, I'd want to make sure the Rossi .454 feeds 45 colt reliably. I've heard of issues with shorter rounds (.38s in .357 lever guns) so I'd want to make sure that wasn't an issue. The other thought is, if you've got casting in mind from day one you might get slightly more accuracy from the .45 Colt if the gun is a dedicated .45 Colt. So if you mainly want to shoot and cast for .45 Colt with the occasional hot round, the .45 Colt might be the better option.

Boolit Bub
    45 colt and 357 mag. Have them both. Like them both a lot. I own a Ruger super redhawk in 454, don't like to shoot it much in that caliber, but of course it also handles 45 colt which is very mild in that big gun. 45 colt Ruger only loads in the 92 are plenty potent without the 454 punishment. Great combo, with the option of 454 in the handgun if I really need to take down a cape buffalo or something. Also have the 92/ruger blackhawk combo in 357 which is a fun plinker combo with 38 special. Both calibers are easy and economical to cast and reload for (I like Keith and Thompson semi-wadcutters).

Boolit Master
    This is the question basically that I have been asking myself, except I've been wondering about 454 lever w/ revolver, 45 colt lever w/ revolver, or 357 lever and revolver.

Out of curiosity why not a matching set caliber wise?
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

For lever action I'd go 454 just because it has the greater breadth of capabilities. More trade off room when your juggling available space between lead and powder charge. And oh yeah, I'd have to find out how much black would go in it too!
    By the way, in the Rossi '92 .38 Specials never gave me a feed problem. My favorite load was the RCBS 162 GC SWC and just enough fast burning powder to coast it in with great accuracy. Plum wunnerful head lighting piece for jack rabbits as far as I could see the shine. One time it took me three shots to get the elevation right all the way across a pasture but the third shot was spot on.

Boolit Master
    I have them in .357 and .45 Colt, and as has been said, the "Ruger-only" .45 Colt loads in a rifle are nothing to sneeze at. Personally, I also have a .45-70 for when the .45 Colt may not be enough, but I haven't found anything I wouldn't try to take with my .45 Colt yet. For what it's worth, at least to me, the .454 is nothing but a high pressure, high velocity version of the .45-70 loaded with a light bullet, and it is fine if that is what you want, but why rob yourself of the ability to launch a heavy bullet also, which the .454 can't come close to matching the .45-70 with.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

I actually have two Rossi's ; one in 357/38 and the other (which is my favorite) in 44WCF with a 24" full oct. barrel SS. Absolutely my favorite rifle to shoot with the exception of my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Banned

I have two .357s
    Very happy.

Banned

well I couldn't make up my mid so I bought the 357/44/45 colt and tried them all.
    I only have one 357, 3 45's, a 44mag [also a model 94 and a browning -92] plus a 44-40.
    the [younger smaller] kids really like the 357 [the stock is a little shorter]
    but as they got older they gravitate towards the bigger bores.

Boolit Grand Master

If the 454 uses 45Colt reliably then why would you not buy it over the Colt unless you never plan on using the Casull? That's why I have the 45Colt as I never plan on using it on more than a heavy 45LC load could take down and I have no interest in the 454Casull in a handgun. I'm more of the opinion that if a 265-300gr hardcast and Linebaugh load in the 45Colt can't do the job you need a rifle but others love the big boom and recoil.

Those that have the Rossi in 454: It's not a very heavy gun. How is the recoil?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I choose the 454/357. Having the ability to shoot 4 cartridges from 2 guns........way cool.
    I already have a Rossi M92 SS, .45 Colt, 20"" round barrel. Handles and shoots great. With cowboy loads recoil is nothing but I have some Hammerheads to test, I will let you know how the recoil is after that.
    I am still looking for one in .454 for a bit of added versatility.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 02-23-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

I own 92s in 357 and 45 Colt. The 357 is a toy blast while the 45 is for business sue to cost of feeding. The actions are strong and can be loaded more than I'm comfortable running in a strong wheelgun as daily fodder.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Default.htm

Read Paco's articles on the 357 and 45 Colt. He has done alot of load development and would work his loads carefully as they are over the top. Some of his 357 loads are at the original spec (43-46K) so I wouldn't try running them in a J or K frame strictly in a 92 action. Same with his Colt 45 Loads for the 92.

With the above, what are you really going to gain going with a 454 Casual besides more cost.

If ya need more than the 45 Colt, there is always the 1886 or 1895 in 45-70.

Boolit Master
    I know some say get the 454 as it can shoot both. I have a 92 in 45 colt Im not sure I would want more power out of it. Right now using W296 it will huck the 250gr XTP mags out of it at 1700fps. And yes Rossi is said to have issues shooting shorter ammo in them. So may work great for 454 but not so well with way more common 45 colt. I have several 45 colt weapons, and I may have standard pressure for one gun and ruger only for another, it will all work in the Rossi.

I have considered picking up a 357 Rossi tho.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned a Taurus Raging Bull in .454Casull with the 8-3/8" ported barrel since they first came out.
    When a Rossi R92 in .454 showed up in my local gun shop they called me because they knew I'd be interested.
    They know me too well...

I also have a Rossi R92 in .357mag and a Taurus 7-shot M607 with a 4" ported barrel in .357mag to go with it.

Then there's the Marlin 1894 in .44mag. That goes out into the woods along with the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag.

Obviously the .357 is the most comfortable to shoot, but the .454 is most effective on deer.

Can't say I have a favorite. I like them all...

I have the 357 in Rossi and love the little rifle. As to getting one larger it would likely be in a 44 mag as I could buy factory loads for it which are adequate for deer. The only feed problems I have had with the Rossi is with some very blunt bullet conformations in a 357 case. Repeaters can be a bit more fussy than revolvers. I tend to agree with the comments about getting a 45-70 rifle if you need a cannon.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Well I have a .454 Rossi and its shoots any thing in .454 Starline brass at any load LEVEL. You can drop back a little or leave it hot as it NOT near as bad to shoot as a 10 Ga. pointing up at Geese. I enjoy my 10's but as my shoulders grind down it my be a lost thing in a few more years.... Old is NOT ma beautiful thing..

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I have the 454 Rossi 92 and have not experienced any problems with it feeding 45 Colt rounds.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master
    I have the Rossi in 454 and it feeds both 45 colt and 454 nicely. My stiff load is a 317 gr cast at 1980 fps and yep it does recoil some but it's not like my 416Rem with 400gr at 2400+.I also load a 265gr cast in 45 Colt cases at about 1200 fps that the wife likes to shoot.