RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a Lee Pro 1000 or Loadmaster?

Yep, I don't need another press, but like you if I come across a used LM at a good price I'll probably grab it just so that I can see what people are talking about and have a play with it.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE= Not because I need it but because I have heard bad things about them and I want to see for myself. [/QUOTE]

I have met a kindred spirit here as I like doing things this way also..... However I have used this approach with some women and can tell you the learning curve is high and expensive...

Dale

Boolit Master
    I am not brave enough to try that with women. Machines have a logical order about them. Women..... not so much.

Banned
    I am a devoted user of the Lee Classic Turret. But as fate would have it I recently aquired two used presses that I couldn't pass up.

On my local Craigslist a guy was selling a Dillon 450 complete with all of the accessories including a shellpate for .223. Then, on Gunbroker, a guy was selling a Lee Pro 1000 with extras including two carriers, one of which was for .223.

I use my Classic Turret for all on my handgun calibers and 45/70. I use my RCBS turret press for rifle calibers with cast bullets. 223 is the only caliber I use jacketed rounds in.

As we all know 223 is labor intensive. After tumbling I size/deprime on a single stage. I also trim on the single stage, then ream the crimped pockets. After hand priming I am left with cases that are ready to load. I'm sure a lot of guys also do it this way with 223.

Up until recently I loaded my 223 on s single stage or RCBS turret. I have a Savage bolt action and I only did a few rounds at a time. But now I have an AR 15 and my son and I shoot a lot more ammo. So I am looking to up production. At this point I still prep the brass the same way. But I bought the two presses to see if I could speed things up.

So far I have only tested the Dillon 450. I put my Lee dies and Lee Pro Auto Disk on it. After getting a rhythm going it was pretty fast. Different from what I am used to but easy to learn. Crappy photos.

Attachment 162575Attachment 162576

I plan on setting up the Pro 1000 today and running it through the same test. I chose the Dillon first only because the indexing rod that came with the Pro 1000 was in bad shape so I ordered a new one from Titan. It arrived yesterday. I did cycle the Pro 1000 a lot and stripped it down and cleaned it. For loading 223, especially starting with cases that are already prepped, I think it will do well.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    Steve keep us updated on how the pro 1000 turns out.

I will not be setting up the LM today as USPS has dropped the ball again and not put my package in the car. I am told it will be here tomorrow.

Banned
    I had a chance to try the Lee Pro 1000 today. After installing a new index rod and ratchet I bolted it to my table and set up the Lee dies for 223. I used the same set up that I tried on the Dillon 450 recently.

Attachment 162667Attachment 162668

I did do something a little different though. Since this press is a three station and not four I mounted the powder drop in hole #1. The bullet seating die went into #2 and the FCD in #3. Since I was working with pre-primed brass I removed the primer slide from the rear of the press. This made it easier to insert a bullet in the case.

I loaded 80 rounds with no problems. I didn't time it but it was a decent pace. I couldn't go too fast. If I did powder would get slung out of the case on it's way to station #2. I had this problem with the Dillon also, as well as my old Loadmaster. Keeping a nice, moderate pace was key and I turned out a pile of ammo fast enough.

Since I was working with processed brass I didn't test the Achilles heel of all presses, the priming system. Accounts of problems with the Lee system are common, and I had my share with the Loadmaster. But a quick scan of the Dillon forums showed that it happens with blue presses also.

STOP RIGHT THERE!!! I don't want any flames from the blue crew, it was a simple observation and not a condemnation, thank you.

For a press that I will dedicate to 223 only I will rate them about even. That is if you deprime and prime off press of course. Each press has advantages. For example, since the Dillon is manually advanced it is easy to stop and check each stage. Just remove the brass button and check the case. The Lee is auto-advance and it seems like it is easier to develop a rhythm.

This is the first Dillon that I have owned or even operated. I can see why the Dillon guys love their presses. It is well made and well thought out. Since it is a four station I think that I will move my 357 dies over to it. If that works I may even convert to a 550 and get more toolheads. I will keep the three station Lee for 223 only duty.

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 03-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Boolit Master

Great Post Steve! If it works, it shouldn't matter what brand it is.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Could not be said better Jerry. Great post Steve and thank you for giving us the following up.

After reading your post it struck me, I think you might have found the simplest most dependable rifle progressive. This goes for me since I size/deprime then wash and trim. This is followed by a hand prime. I do this for my rifle ammo. I know it takes longer then just dropping it on my LNL and cranking out ammo but if you are like me I want to hit what I aim for.

Steve has made a very good point and I will respect his wishes as they are the same as mine. Dont do it Blue worshipers. We love blue too but this is about red. With that said I as everyone knows do still own one Dillon. It is the SDB and if a smooth SLOW rhythm is not kept I fling powder out of the case when the press hits station three. Not a big deal and as long as I take my time I do not loose powder from the case.

Steve if you are reading this I do have one more question. How consistent was the OAL of the final bullet. My parts should be in today so I can get the LM fired up.

If it works, it shouldn't matter what brand it is.
    Really doesn't even have to work, as long as your happy.

There are more than a few progressive users that have given up on loading progressively in a single pass and instead make two passes and hand prime in between. Again, they are happy with this process and as long as they are, there is nothing "wrong" in doing it that way.

Banned
    "Steve if you are reading this I do have one more question. How consistent was the OAL of the final bullet. My parts should be in today so I can get the LM fired up."

That's a good question. I generally just seat to the cannelure for my plinking ammo, then do a visual check as the ammo drops out.

Later today I will measure them and give you the data.

Steve in N CA

Banned
    Okay guys,

I reached in and pulled out 20 rounds at random. These were all loaded recently on the Pro 1000. All were loaded with Hornady 55 gr FMJ boittails.

The longest round measured 2.238" and the shortest was 2.235". The avaerage length was 2.236".

Hope this helps. I did not measure the ammo loaded on the Dillon 450. My son came by on the way to the range and I gave them to him. If I load another batch on the Dillon I will check them.

It's funny, my son comes by to see me for ammo and his mom for sandwiches. Life is good.

Steve in N CA.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Steve. Sounds like it kept a good OAL.

My parts are hear. I am going to take a few mins later tonight and set everything up. I am going to time it. I will say I am not going to rush. Simple steps. I have around a half hour messing around with it to understand how it worked and polishing everything before the parts got here. I polished the top die plate, shell plate, under the shell plate where it rides, cycling arm, powder charge die base and slide.

I did open the box the parts came in. I like the new primer set up. The case feeder well I am still in shock about how cheap it feels. I hope it works better then it feels because at this point I feel that I overpaid for the items. Time will tell. If I get off here it will tell sooner. I will be back with an update. Umm Sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I hope it works better then it feels because at this point I feel that I overpaid for the items.
    That is ok, just think about how much it would cost for you to build it yourself, if you had the equipment and time to do so.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, the case feeder is so simple (4 plastic tubes, red top, and the slider mechanism) but it works! When you put the cases in, make sure to place them on the side and shake them to the center. Sometimes it will flip, but you can see them and flip them before they go into the plate. Also, you tune the slider a little bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Really doesn't even have to work, as long as your happy.

There are more than a few progressive users that have given up on loading progressively in a single pass and instead make two passes and hand prime in between. Again, they are happy with this process and as long as they are, there is nothing "wrong" in doing it that way.
    Yep, and I'm one of them. I like to check my brass and do the prep before running through a progressive.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Just ordered a lee bench prime.

From titan reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Just ordered a lee bench prime.

From titan reloading.
    Great place to deal with. I was happy with everything they did for me.

OK press is set up. It was striped. I started by adding the primer parts I got from Titan followed by the shell plate and ejector with nut. Next I lubed and added the indexing rod. Lube and set up the case feeder. I have to admit it took most of my time since I had no directions. The ones that come with the kit are for a Pro 1000. A few mins watching a youtube video and it was done. I then loaded the tubes and gave 80ish cases a go. All looked good so on to setting up the primer. Got this tip from another member here to set it off a spent primer. I then loaded a(1) primer in the hole and added a case to give it a try. Worked well. Ok on to the dies, that we all know how to do. The powder measure took me an extra minute as I had to update it and give it a polish to ensure no powder leakage. A few tests and wow that was simple. Please remember I had to learn how this Lee even worked. Double checking things is key and helps to under stand this different press. Its kinda neat really.

So time invested so far. Half hour polishing and another hour setup along with watching some youtube vids and cycling 80 some cases around powder test and primer test. It is now one step from ready to run. I have to screw it to my new bench and just have not decided where every press is going yet. So I will be making a run of 1000 rounds soon. I will keep track of my issues that I am faced with if any. If all goes well I am going to be pushing the run up to 5000 and will then again give a final overview.

I am sorry this is taking me so long but I have many things going on in my reloading room at the moment. Most of it is the fact that I am building a new reloading room. Pics to come once the wife gets back with our camera. She loves to take pictures of them grand kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Great place to deal with. I was happy with everything they did for me.

OK press is set up. It was striped. I started by adding the primer parts I got from Titan followed by the shell plate and ejector with nut. Next I lubed and added the indexing rod. Lube and set up the case feeder. I have to admit it took most of my time since I had no directions. The ones that come with the kit are for a Pro 1000. A few mins watching a youtube video and it was done. I then loaded the tubes and gave 80ish cases a go. All looked good so on to setting up the primer. Got this tip from another member her to set it off a spent primer. I then loaded a(1) primer in the hole and added a case to give it a try. Worked well. Ok on to the dies, that we all know how to do. The powder measure took me an extra minute as I had to update it and give it a polish to ensure no powder leakage. A few tests and wow that was simple. Please remember I had to learn how this Lee even worked. Lots of looking this over in this time. Double checking things. Its kinda neat really.

So time invested so far. Half hour polishing and another hour setup along with watching some youtube vids and cycling 80 some cases around powder test and primer test. It is now one step from ready to run. I have to screw it to my new bench and just have not decided where every press is going yet. So I will be making a run of 1000 rounds soon. I will keep track of my issues that I am faced with if any. If all goes well I am going to be pushing the run up to 5000 and will then again give a final overview.

I am sorry this is taking me so long but I have many things going on in my reloading room at the moment. Most if is the fact that I am building a new room. Pics to come once the wife gets back with our camera. She loves to take pictures of them grand kids.
    Sound like lots and lots of fun.

Slow and steady win the Lee race.

Banned
    If you like I will share one of my "workarounds" that I developed in my Loadmaster days.

I loaded a lot of 45 ACP and 9MM in those days. My youngest son was still living at home and we got to shoot together more often. I would set up my Loadmaster with primers and cases and go to town. It never failed that I would get 1 or 2 out of 100 with hinky primers. This was after upgrading to the new primer chute, cleaning, deburring, etc. Instead of fighting I adapted.

As you sit in front of the press ready to load you will find that your left hand naturally rests on your work table right next to station #3. This is the station that holds the powder throw. That means that as the handle is pushed up the plate rotates the primed case from station #2 counter clockwise to station #3, ready to go up to the powder throw on the next downstroke.

What I did was loosen the chrome hook on the rim at station #3. This hook holds the case against the plate to align it with the die above it. Since my left hand was resting naturally there anyway it became a habit for me to pull the "primed" case out of the plate at station #3 to make sure that it was primed correctly. If it was I just put it back at kept going. If not I dropped it back into the case feeder for another trip through. This added just a couple of seconds to the process and was un-noticeable.

This may help you guys, I hope so.

Don't be concerned about the case feeder. If you set it up according to the directions it works. I never had a problem with mine.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    Good show Sr. I have learned quite a bit about progressive reloading on and because of this thread . I at one point gave up on progressive reloading due to my lee load fast adventure , I am watching and counting my piggy bank as I read about your progress .