WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbor Freight Red compared to Powder by the Pound Blue.

Dahermit - sorry my fingers don't work right - but I'll blame the keyboard. Tap the gun on the side of the container lightly or get one of those battery operated vibrators & attach it. I keep a spare plastic 'collector' bin to dump excess into by rapping the barrel. The gun can barf and give you a heavy coat.
    I don't think freeze drying the powder will work, H2O attaches to the powder. Vacuum drying might.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lt250r_86 View Post
    I have no problem with one coat coverage using HF Red. I was never able to find Black Air Soft BB's locally, so I decided to use low density polyethylene pellets, since I work for a company that injection molds. Fantastic results with the Red and Red/White mixture. Haven't tried, just White, yet though.
    Wouldn't polyethylene be extremely light? I would think it would attract electrons quite well, but ride on top of the bullets? Some claim the Black BB's work the best because of the weight and they act as a cushion. I don't know what the Air Soft pellets are composed of, but suspect they are a composite of materials to gain the weight? I would appreciate you comments as we are always looking for a magic fix.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Wouldn't polyethylene be extremely light? I would think it would attract electrons quite well, but ride on top of the bullets? Some claim the Black BB's work the best because of the weight and they act as a cushion. I don't know what the Air Soft pellets are composed of, but suspect they are a composite of materials to gain the weight? I would appreciate you comments as we are always looking for a magic fix.
    You may be right. The pellets are very light. I don't have any black BB's to compare. Here are a few samples of my coatings with HF Red/White mixture. Perhaps a mixture of the LDPE and Black BB's? I'll have to make an order with Smoke for some better powder and bb's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by lt250r_86; 03-02-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Bub
    First picture is some 38 wad cutters after tumble coating. They are in the oven now. The other picture is some 38 round nose I did yesterday.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures.

Boolit Master
    From the photos your bullet don't look bad, better than what I got using HF powder, but I live on the Gulf Coast. I think when you get your powder in from Smoke you will be surprised at the difference. I would like to hear back after the new powder and if you use some Black BB's for a compairson. Since I fight high humidity anything that may help with the tumble coating I am willing to try.

Boolit Buddy
    I'M still on the first pound of HF red from back in the winter of 2014. Same cottage cheese container also. Guess I just don't shoot as much as y'all.
    I find that any leftover powder is basically dead for coating purposes in the tub after it has been idle for months. I simply take a plastic grocery bag and wipe out any remaining powder and the tub is "recharged" staticly speaking.
    I have yet to try the bb method...just dry tumble has worked well. I do plan to get some of Smokes shiny black powder soon just for a change. Might pick up some bb''s with the order.

Perma-Banned

One of those red bullets will work as well as one of those blue bullets.

The only time that looks count is before you pull the trigger. The trigger is the great equalizer...

Boolit Master
    A couple days ago I ordered some HF red. Yesterday I got a notice my order has been cancelled because the powder is a hazardous material and they can't ship it. What could possibly be hazardous about some powdered plastic?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    One of those red bullets will work as well as one of those blue bullets.

The only time that looks count is before you pull the trigger. The trigger is the great equalizer...
    Those Red bullets have spots on them where the coating seems to be thin...I want to be able to look at a bullet and see a continuous, complete coating. The Red ones may shoot as well as the Blue, but I do not know that for sure and will continue to opt for what appears to be a thicker, more uniform coating...just in case. But, you go ahead and use Harbor Freight Red for your bullets.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    Those Red bullets have spots on them where the coating seems to be thin...I want to be able to look at a bullet and see a continuous, complete coating. The Red ones may shoot as well as the Blue, but I do not know that for sure and will continue to opt for what appears to be a thicker, more uniform coating...just in case. But, you go ahead and use Harbor Freight Red for your bullets.
    I will and they shoot fine...I have literally shot thousands that look like yours, no problem with them at all.

Suit yourself...

I'm getting good results with HF red and the shake and bake method.

Last weekend when I was coating some boolits, the humidity was 50% in my shop.

eta, the 3 boolits on the right started out as conventionally lubed boolits that I removed the lube, cleaned and PCed.

I have used HF Red and Yellow and get single coat coverage as well (I was in Ventura Ca. though)
    I have moved to a MUCH more humid climate and have not tried it yet..
    Here is the red and yellow and then a mix of both.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	162651