Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zip Lock #5...

You're overthinking this. The size doesn't matter. Look at the size of however many boolits you're shaking and account for a little room for BBs and some empty space to shake. That's how big of a container you need. There is no magical size. The Ziplock screw tops just happened to be the first used by one of the pioneers of the process.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Master
    possibly. What I am trying to find is a container about six inches square and about three inches deep. I saw some neat ones at the Dollar Store with latch-style lids on all four corners, but they were too deep. I have heard of issues picking the boolits out with tweezers if the container is very deep.

Anybody use deeper ones?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    possibly. What I am trying to find is a container about six inches square and about three inches deep. I saw some neat ones at the Dollar Store with latch-style lids on all four corners, but they were too deep. I have heard of issues picking the boolits out with tweezers if the container is very deep.

Anybody use deeper ones?
    You don't want a square container needs to be round.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    You don't want a square container needs to be round.
    With all due respect it doesn't matter if its square or round. You guys are making this much more complicated than need be.

Boolit Master

Anybody use deeper ones?
    Yes and it sucks fishing them out with tweezers. I want to go to a large square container and try. More space for the hands to reach in and less deep

Boolit Master
    Round works better than square, screw on works better than snap-on, but they both work as do lots of recycled containers. Forget the tweezers and get something with some length. As noted by someone else before, way over thinking this.

Attachment 162330

Boolit Master
    Eureka! I have found it! Freddy's had one 8.5 X 6 X3" deep with a gasket and the side latches. A few more $$$, but it is BPA Free and says "Made In New Zealand". The brand name is Sistema.

Rich

Think of the size of a cool whip container. That is about ideal. loaded it is not too heavy to shake. Wide for its depth for ease of access. Can hold enough 30 caliber rifle or 45 pistol to fill a small toaster oven in one shot. Curved surface encourages "swirl" and does not take a lot of BB's and powder because it is small enough to keep the cast lead in with the BB's and PC. There are certainly other containers that will work, I have heard even those clear plastic tubs that take out Chinese comes in will work. They don't last long and tend to crack but they work.

I use these fine point spring loaded needle nose from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-3-4-q...ers-40696.html hard to tell from the pictures but the tips are tweezers sized and the spring helps them release.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I use the regular rubbermaid food storage containers. Clear with red lids. The heavier plastic ones, not the thinner ones. I have one for each color. I buy a new one, and give it to the wife, and take an older dirty one for my PC. See picture.

Attachment 162411

Boolit Buddy

Anybody use deeper ones?
    Someone suggested and I now use a paper plate on to which to dump the BB's and powder coated bullets...no need to try and fish them out of a container. It works good (for me, with my usuall amounts of BB's and bullets), and the paper plates are easy to gently bend to funnel the BB's and powder back into the shaking container. When bullets are laying out on a flat surface (the paper plate), they are easier to pick out of the BB's and do not require a super-long hemostat/tweezers.

Cost $0

Look around the house at the bottom of plastic containers. You'll see a lot of #5 tumble containers for free.

Zip lock containers work very good. I did steal one of the wife's short containers and it cracked on the side about every half inch. It was one of her old ones that got washed in the dishwasher a lot. Problem solved with duck tape until it is replaced. Don't have to shake real hard just nice and easy will help prolong the life of your containers. JMHO and I really love reading and digesting all the info from everyone.

Boolit Master
    Pick them out with hemostats.

Try some disposable nitrile gloves. They should have a matte finish and not shiny. Dust your thumb and index finger with some powder (the glove needs to fit snugly without sag or wrinkles on your finger tips). The static attraction between the powder and lead ought to be strong enough not to come off when picking the bullets up. In fact, I use a pie pan to "whack" the bullet on the base to shake off and evenly spread any excess powder. If the coverage is not great on a bullet, I twirl it between my thumb and index finger and the powder spreads evenly over the bullet.
    I don't spend this much time on each bullet, but you can see the effects of handling on the coverage. It makes it better.

that may be, but each of the different numbered containers was a separate and distinct size.

Asking again, what are the exterior dimensions of the fabled #5?

Feel free to post a picture...

thanks,

Rich

#5 is the number in the triangle on the bottom of the container. It just id's the plastic type used.

There is no set size to a #5 container.

I use a 6 inch diameter round one with a tight fitting lid my wife let me have.

Boolit Master
    found a cache of screw on lid round ones at the Dollar Store.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you for the chart. I always wondered what the different numbers were.

Boolit Master
    Dxe,

what is the big red oval with the CIB inside it for?

Boolit Master
    Hey guys, I happened to notice this on the Ziploc #5 containers I just bought...

Anti static formula.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 16 ounce Ziploc containers rhat come packaged in a 3 pak of containers and screw on lids and mine say nothing about anti static. The formulas referenced on mine are SCJ formula #35*10582, 35*14861. And mine say BPA free.

Did you purchase a larger size?

Mike