Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you seen this linotype before?

Boolit Master

One way to tell if lino or just lead, lino pigs are around 20/22 lbs, other leads are around 25/26lbs. Yes there could be some shady folks who would cast if they had the org ingot molds----------E-BAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a half dozen of them at 25 lbs per piece. They are, as bangerjim says, linotype pigs. They hung over the lead tank and were gently fed into the melt as needed.
    Buy all you can get that price. I bought mine 15 years ago for .75 per lb.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

In Remembrance

Down to 1 and 1/2 of another of those ingots of lino. However I still have about 100 +/- lbs of the letter print strips to go thru. Yes, buy all of that than you can.Robert

If lead then be assured that $1 per pound for lead in clean ingot form is a decent price. For Lino it is a very good price, about 1/2 price of what I would sell some of mine for. Assuming I would sell any

You could expect to pay around $1 a pound for WW lead, or plain lead, or isotope container lead sold as ingots here on the forum. More from an online supplier. So considering what wonderful rich bullet making material Linotype is you should beat feet to get that deal.

Expect (a guess based on mine) is each one will go around 24 or 25 lbs. If it was me I would break open the little piggy bank and snag all I could afford. If nothing else you could resell here for a modest profit to reduce your cost and still make some other casters very happy. I found a piece a few inches long, and nothing else "printers" to speak of for around a year of steady looking. Then one day boom I scored and have so far not regretted hitting the savings account to buy that stash. Use it (cut with plain and WW's it casts beautifully) Swapped some for stuff. Sold some for money to buy stuff. Good Lino or other alloy is money in the bank as far as I'm concerned.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

With my half dozen 25 lb pigs and 200lbs of type, I am set for linotype for the rest of my life. I also have over 2500 lbs of wheel weights that I got for free when a friend sold his tire shop.
    I use 1lb linotype to 5 lbs ww's. That is supposed to give the Lyman #2 hard cast alloy. Works for me. No leading even after 30 round magazine dumps on full auto.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I use 1lb linotype to 5 lbs ww's. That is supposed to give the Lyman #2 hard cast alloy. Works for me. No leading even after 30 round magazine dumps on full auto.
    Pretty close to what I use, I add a little tin from solder or pewter to the mix since Lino to WW's I have on hand was coming up short of tin by a bit. But it does cast lovely bullets, bullets that just work great. Nice thing about mixing own Lyman #2 is that it cuts well to a less rich alloy for plinking revolver ammo. Making a pot of Wad cutters in 38 special just don't need the alloy as rich but Lyman #2 is balanced so bringing it down with plain lead or WW's is easy math.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

Just picked up 13 of these the other day at $1/lb.

Boolit Master
    I just called and spoke with him--he has 3 left and does not want to ship...Crum!

I don't have an oz. of lino-sniff.

or a wheelweight

Boolit Mold
    Yes I've gone through 6 of them over the years for rifle boolits. Weighs about 25 lbs, although I had a couple 30 lbs. it's getting scarce and not be too long before there's none.