WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 45-70 Meister 300gr FP problem

Boolit Mold

Question 45-70 Meister 300gr FP problem

I recently completed a small batch of 45-70 using Meister Bullets 300 gr FP (product Code: MB-45-300). I went to the range today to test them and found that they won't chamber. They are the correct COL. In the picture below cartridge A is my reload of a 405 gr RNFP (SNS brand), cartridge B is a Federal 300 gr soft point, and C is my reload of the Meister 300 gr FP. My reloads are using new Starline brass. My reloads using the 405's work great. Obviously the factory ammo works as well. The 300's hit the chamber at the point indicated by the red arrow. The lever won't close and the rim of the cartridge is about 0.150 short of where it needs to be to chamber properly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4570.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	161452

Has anyone seen a problem like this? As I said (and you can see in the picture) COL is correct.

Rifle is a Marlin 1895GBL.

Thanks.

Are you sizing them or using them as purchased? What is the diam. of the nose where they are catching?

Boolit Grand Master

With that nose shape and full diameter driving bands sticking out you will likely have to seat them deeper.

Shouldn't cause any grief as they are a short light boolit in a .45-70.

Longbow

Boolit Master

My Shiloh Sharps is the same way, even when the boolits have been through a .457 sizer. My Marlin 1895 Cowboy will tolerate larger diameter bullet noses. The Ranch Dog 350 FN design will work in the tight throated Shiloh Sharps. Might give that design a try, even if the body is sized larger than what I used. It was the only sizing die I had at the moment.

Due to the design of the bullet, the ogive of the bullet is hitting against the barrel lands. You have to take in differences in the ogive to determine overall length. Just seat the bullet deeper about 20 thousands and see if that cures the problem, if not another 10 thousand should do it. Looking at your photo, you do have that bullet seated out to far for it's design.

Boolit Master
    If you wanna use that bullet, seat it much deeper....a lot of bullets won't work if seated out so far.

Lever gun typically don't have much if any throats. You'll have to seat it to the last grove to get it to chamber.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all of the responses! I hadn't considered sizing them as I haven't sized other purchased cast bullets before but I will run some through my Lee .452 sizer and build a few rounds. The diameter of the 300's is .458 at the point that they catch. At approximately the same point on the 405's the diameter is about .448. It sounds like a combination of re-sizing and seating a bit deeper will solve the problem. Or just seat them a bit deeper. Also, I have that Ranch Dog mold but haven't used it yet. It's on deck for this spring.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it. I've been lurking for awhile and really like this board as it always has good, clear answers without the shall we say "Internet drama" on so many other boards.

Hey there WiVoyageur -- Don't resize them !! Especially to .452". You will only compound your problem with some extensive leading!! I would suggest you consider a round nose flat point from someone like Laser-Cast (Oregon Trail Bullet Co.) and discontinue trying to use the Meister's. Not all bullet ogives are created equal. It appears to make that one work you will have to seat it deeper, or shorten your brass. You'd save yourself a lot of grief by just buying a different bullet. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Boolit Master
    I seat those to crimp in the forward-most groove. Feed and cycle fine in my 1895 Cowboy. I get better accuracy with a RNFP however.

I shoot those bullets in a Ruger No 1 and seat them to the forward most groove as that's the only way they will chamber. The bullets shoot just fine for me.
    "If we wern't all crazy we would be insane"
    Jimmy Buffett

Boolit Mold
    I'll seat them to the first groove. I agree with the RNFP comments. In the future I'll stick to that type. I got these from a guy on Armslist that sold his Shiloh Sharps rifle and had some bullets left over. So I have about 600 of these things. I got them for a very reasonable price so I'll shoot them up and then stick to RNFP's in the future.

It will take me awhile to go through that many but as I think more about it I could actually shoot more. Nothing puts a smile on your face like a 45-70 so this might work out well!

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Boolit Master
    Yea I tried to seat out aboolit lie that before but had to seat deeper I just set it back alittle at atime until action closed easy they shot great.