MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another casters stash in the scrap yard

Another casters stash in the scrap yard

Picked up about 75 lbs. of Lee ingots at a scrap yard. Pretty hard stuff based on how it rings and hitting it with a prick punch. Could just be really old age hardened WW lead which is fine with me. Good price and already smelted so not paying for zinc and clips.

Was also a few half ball shaped ingots that had spot on each end that looked like they were from a ladle spout. Or maybe a plumbers melter, I have heard those had sort of round bowls for the molten lead.

Always feel a little funny buying lead in a scrap bin that clearly came from a reloader. I always worry that it may have been stolen, or it could simply be a sad case of disposing of stuff no one wanted after someone passes away. Once the old fellow came in and told them he could not see well enough to safely reload anymore so he was selling it off. Well I will certainly put this batch to good use. Have told wife and kids they are to arrange to dispose of my stash here to other casters not at a scrap yard. Wife might listen, one of the kids will probably actually do it. Might be sort of nice to take a couple of coffee cans of linotype or foundry type into the scrap yard, make someone's day it would if they found that.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    If it is from a former reloader I am sure he would be happy knowing all of his hard work was being put to use. Enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Ya never know. Maybe the poor guy died and his kids didn't know what to do with it.
    If the scrap yard in question accepts complete automobiles, they find literally everything inside those old cars.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

You must have been there within a day of me, I only bought a bucket full of the lee ingots as I was after soft pure and tin......was from the place that rhymes with begals? About a year or so ago I got several milk jugs full of boolits from there, most 30 cal some larger some smaller, used some saved some melted the rest, I saved a few to give a nod of respect to whom ever made them and had is work end up in a scrape bin.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Ya never know. Maybe the poor guy died and his kids didn't know what to do with it.
    If the scrap yard in question accepts complete automobiles, they find literally everything inside those old cars.
    I have a buddy who used to work at the local scrap yard he could never believe the stuff people would put in junk cars. He often found copper pipe and brass plumbing fittings. He said once there was a car that had lead and brass cases in it, you just never know. I tell my wife all the time if something happens to me take your time and sell stuff off and enjoy it. I never understood why guys would say "look honey I got this gun for XX it was a deal" and they really paid much more. I have found others' left over stashes before I never seem to get there for the so called good stuff I am usually the last to know. Someone will say so and so has some lead left from a relative so I will check it out only to find out that they sold stuff way too cheap and this was the stuff no one wanted. We can only hope that when it is our time to go our loved ones are not taken advantage of.

Boolit Grand Master

I have also ask my Wife and Sons to sell my stuff here. Both boys hunt but only one is a reloader and he does not cast yet. It kind of cool that you guys save a bullet out of respect for the guy that has gone before you. Thats a kind gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    You must have been there within a day of me, I only bought a bucket full of the lee ingots as I was after soft pure and tin......was from the place that rhymes with begals? About a year or so ago I got several milk jugs full of boolits from there, most 30 cal some larger some smaller, used some saved some melted the rest, I saved a few to give a nod of respect to whom ever made them and had is work end up in a scrape bin.
    Wasn't local, I was out of town and decide to try some scrap yards. Pickings have been pretty slim around here of late. Not that much stuff gets brought to the yards over the winter. Only thing I found of late was at a thrift shop, a pewter tray, pitcher/pot with cream and sugar bowls it was over 5# but cost $20 so a little pricey but I decided to take it. Wife liked it and it won't see the pot after all. Sigh. I guess $20 is a cheap price for a happy wife.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master

Cool out of town scraping, and yes $20 dollars is cheap price for a happy wife and if she ever gets tired of the set, well............ and yes our local yard has been kind of weak lately but on Monday I think they had some goodies.....I had a load of scrap from a job site, I traded it's value for lead they do a little better on trade-off value , or they do for me anyhow I've been buying and selling there for a long long time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    If it is from a former reloader I am sure he would be happy knowing all of his hard work was being put to use. Enjoy.
    Yep. Bought some very old, quality reloading tools at a gun show the other day, I fully plan to use them and hope the former owner is smiling down from somewhere when I do. I think about stuff like that, at least where things I'm passionate about are concerned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Yep. Bought some very old, quality reloading tools at a gun show the other day, I fully plan to use them and hope the former owner is smiling down from somewhere when I do. I think about stuff like that, at least where things I'm passionate about are concerned.
    Same here. Actually, a lot of my guns, gear and supplies came used from retired or deceased shooters that I knew. I still remember my old friend and mentor Don and his wife. He made me some special deals for a special friend. Sniff.

I would hope that if when Im gone and someone in my family sold my stash that another reloader would come along and buy it to continue making cast boolits. And if my family does sell, I will come back and haunt them!

Boolit Bub
    I don't have enough lead to worry about. But if I did, I would recommend my surviving family do a universal background check on the buyer to make sure they will be casting bullets instead of some dubious activity! I don't want to contribute to unscrupulous debauchery like sinker making or wasteful recycling practices.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I just today got 45 kilos of wheel weights ,took two 25litre buckets and a 10litre for the stick ons .
    Sat down on a milk crate and sorted them into the buckets so I wasnt buying zinc and steel **** I didnt want and had to get rid of later.
    total cost was 37AUD . It was bloody hot and I had to quit as I was over heating sitting in the full sun at midday .
    They have a huge pallet , probably 600-700 kilos , I will return later and get some more.
    The scrap man says he will take all my old brass cases , I reckon I have around 12kilos of old WWII 303 brass I stripped down to get the projectiles.
    I didnt deprime as normal due to the twin flash holes j ust drop them into my big smelting pot , put a heavy steel lid on it and lit up the gas , left it until all the primers had popped.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman1 View Post
    I don't have enough lead to worry about. But if I did, I would recommend my surviving family do a universal background check on the buyer to make sure they will be casting bullets instead of some dubious activity! I don't want to contribute to unscrupulous debauchery like sinker making or wasteful recycling practices.
    I bought some lead from a very nice old gentleman a few years back who had told me he had used to cast sinkers but didn't anymore. Turned out he had been a printer of some sort and it was all type metal and some ingots of what I believe is babbit metal, I cringed when I thought how much of that ended up on the bottom of lakes and creeks.

I have a few sinker molds from when I was younger, I'll never use them again and don't want to sell them because someone else might use them. For crying out loud, find something else to weight down your bait with.

BigEyeBob you need to go to your profile and add a link to a metric conversion utility as your signature.

For us folks who have to convert that 45 kilos to pounds it would be roughly a hundred pounds? The bucket size in liters is just one big ? as my brain tries to convert the 500 ml bottles that booze comes in to liters to gallons. Wait we buy soft drinks in 2 liter bottles so that would be.... oh I give up. It was hot and you got some WW's until it got too hot so your going back because there is lots more.

Good deal! At least I think it was but having no idea of what AUD is actually worth I'm just going to hope it was.

RodgerDat you might try an ask the scrap yard who it was and then see if the old guy would like to go to the range and shoot a few, bet he would go.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Had the Lee ingots XRF gunned and it appears to be about like COWW's cut with plain. Just under 2% Sb and about .25 Sn. That would be about 1/2 of old WW lead which ran 4% and .5% Stuff is pretty age hardened but have not yet tried to get any hardness in terms of BHN.

The ladle bowl shaped eggs were a bit better. I'll no doubt put it to use, may well make some alloy ingots, or do some casting this weekend. Weather is going to be pretty mild.

I really don't mind having 75 lbs. of one alloy mix but I also don't mind getting the stuff to a mix I'll actually use. Rather have either basic ingredients like WW's, plain, or solder. Or hardball, or lyman #2 or 95/2.5/2.5 or /3/3 in short ready to use alloy. In any event I'll be thinking of the guy that made these ingots originally when I do whatever I do.

Just hope that when the time comes, my wife doesn't sell my stuff based on the price she thinks I paid for them....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

I know when I go my kids won't have clue about what to do with all the ingots I've poured. In a perfect world I would give them all away on this site before I went.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Cool out of town scraping, and yes $20 dollars is cheap price for a happy wife and if she ever gets tired of the set, well............ and yes our local yard has been kind of weak lately but on Monday I think they had some goodies.....I had a load of scrap from a job site, I traded it's value for lead they do a little better on trade-off value , or they do for me anyhow I've been buying and selling there for a long long time.
    I collect range brass, and the stuff not worth keeping gets traded for lead at a nearby scrapdealer.