RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision

Thread: .454 casull load request

Boolit Man

.454 casull load request

I've been sick and gone a long time. A 'simple' request... maybe.

I have hundreds of 300gr bevel base cowboy bullets to shoot them in my H&R .454 carbine with oversize barrel, which works fine, BUT I need load data for these NOT GC bullets. and of course concerned about leading at higher velocities in this longer barrel.

I see 8-10gr unique listed a lot. any other suggestions for this bullet in casull brass in the carbine?

thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm testing some loads for combined use in a 24" rifle and a 6 1/2" revolver. This may have some bearing on you making a comparison, so bear with me.
    My only completed experiment is with 18.0gr of 2400 pushing a 250gr XTP.
    The revolver chronographs this load at 1100fps and the rifle is averaging 1440fps. This was exactly where I wanted to be with this bullet.
    The next (uncompleted) test is to be with a powder coated Lee 250gr RF boolit weighing in at 262gr using the same powder and charge rate. I'd like be at about (or below) the same velocities as the j-words.
    These are being done using 45colt brass.

Back to your load possibilities.
    For the 454 the Lyman #4 Handbook lists a Saeco (Redding) #454 300gr with 12.6gr of Unique at 1208fps from a 6" Universal receiver.
    In my situation "if" I were using that combination of powder and boolit I would expect to test a load between 10.0gr to 12.0gr of Unique. Being the rifle is averaging 340fps faster than the revolver.
    But then again I'm "painting" my boolits.

Do you have a preconceived velocity range in mind and do you have other powder choices on hand?
    Just trying to give you some ideas!
    Benny

Boolit Master

I had excellent results with cast boolets in 260 ,275 and 300gr weights gr weight range with Tightgroup powder.
    try 8.0 to 9.0 grs @950 to 1,100 fps loaded in 454 cases and using a small pistol primers, from my revolvers, with excellent accuracy and no leading.