Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need something clean burning for .45 ACP

Clays. Then Red Dot.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

N310, N320, Red Dot, and CLAYS

All very clean, and awesome for .45ACP
    __

I shoot a 200 grain LRNFP with W231 and it's a great load for my CZ 97..clean, accurate and just right for me.

You listed Autocomp, give that a try. I moved to that from 700x for 9mm and 45acp rounds. Works well, a bit more snappy feel than shooting the 700x, and meters a whole lot better.

Boolit Grand Master

Of the powders in your stash I only have experience with Unique, its probably not as dirty as the surplus stuff you shot but you will want to clean your pistol when you get done.....but you were going to do that anyway, right? My go-to powder for the 45ACP is 231 but WST is cleaner and BE is a probably bit more accurate. 231 seems to be showing up on the shelves around here.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy08 View Post
    I went over to my buddy's shop for a little range session over the weekend. We had a ball with a bunch of old milsurp stuff we had collected along with some of my toys.

Being low on components at the moment, I bought the dreaded Winchester white box bulk pack of .45 ACP. Thrown in for good measure was a box or two of M1911 ball ammo from back when Nixon was in office. My poor 1911 is all sooted up at the moment. The entire muzzle area is grey and it needs a slap on the back end of the slide to go the last little bit into battery. My AR suffered a similar fate due to a moderate pile of Vietnam era through Desert Storm surplus. Scrub, scrub, scrub is the order of the day when I have another spare moment.

What's a good, clean burning powder for .45 ACP? I've got a 200 grain SWC mold and a pile of bullets waiting to be lubed and sized.
    In my current stash of pistol powders appropriate for the task ahead are Unique, Red Dot, Tite Group, Autocomp, and Power Pistol.

I really like Power Pistol, but it's hard to find in my area at the moment. My can of that is almost empty as well.
    You surprise me liking Power Pistol with so much flash. WST will serve you best. It should be easy to find since it is a shotgun powder. Perhaps you might try the Vhitavouri Powders, N310 or N320 for the 200 grain, I have used them with success and they are very clean also. You will find that the vhit powders are accurate too.
    Powder coating will make your shooting even cleaner. PC with powders listed, your barrel will be very clean.
    Last edited by cherokeetracker; 02-12-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Of course I clean my guns.... Not as often as I should, but I do try to perform some semi regular maintenance.

I've never noticed much of a flash with Power Pistol. More than likely that is because most of my shooting is done in full daylight or well lit areas.

In my neck of the woods, it's either order it or take what you can get locally. Hence my growing selection of powders on hand. I lucked out the other day. One of the guys at work had bought some Power Pistol and loaded a small test batch. He found he didn't much care for it. I said I'd be happy to give it a good home.

I might have to play with my Dillon this weekend and cook up a few test batches of stuff.

Boolit Bub
    I like to use Clays 4.0 behind a 200 gr SWC

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I'm glad that no one mentioned AA#5 ... leaves more for me

jd
    Glad I wasn`t the only person that likes AA #5 for .45 acp loadings.Robert

Groo here
    The trick with many powders is to get the load/pressures up to where they burn clean.
    Though others like light loads I load to normal speeds.
    5gr bullseye seems to work well just don't go lower if you don't like to clean much. [ like ME]

I shot some test rounds last Sunday with Lyman 452460 loaded Unique,RedDot and Bullseye.
    Out of the three powders RedDot shot the cleanest and most accurate for me out of a RIA 1911
    government model.
    Okie

We have a saying in our house: No pity for self inflicted wounds!