Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7mm Mauser

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Model 95 mauser 7x57 , picked up in , at all places Montgomery Wards, I sporterized it and hunted deer with Remington factory loads , 175 RN loads. Then I started casting, Lyman #287641, 160 grain with a gas check, and because of the long throat, it will handle long heavy cast boolits with the base set at the neck-shoulder junction. I don't like to seat the boolit base past the neck , and they will fit into and feed from the magazine. 14.0 grains of Unique would get 1600 fps and was as accurate as I could shoot with iron sights. The first three shot group , off hand, and it was getting dark, at 50 yds. , could be covered with a quarter (two shots touched , the third was 1/4" from the first two ) and it was to point of aim ! Yowzer.....That was "THE LOAD " for that rifle. I still got it too.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have a Model 95 mauser 7x57 , picked up in , at all places Montgomery Wards, I sporterized it and hunted deer with Remington factory loads , 175 RN loads. Then I started casting, Lyman #287641, 160 grain with a gas check, and because of the long throat, it will handle long heavy cast boolits with the base set at the neck-shoulder junction. I don't like to seat the boolit base past the neck , and they will fit into and feed from the magazine. 14.0 grains of Unique would get 1600 fps and was as accurate as I could shoot with iron sights. The first three shot group , off hand, and it was getting dark, at 50 yds. , could be covered with a quarter (two shots touched , the third was 1/4" from the first two ) and it was to point of aim ! Yowzer.....That was "THE LOAD " for that rifle. I still got it too.
    Gary
    Can't beat that kind of accuracy. You found the sweet spot! Joy
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Has anyone experienced bolt lug cracks at the split lug on the Model 95 bolt? I had two, the one numbered to the rifle (excellent condition) and after ordering a replacement from a supply source that one also cracked in the same manner. These cracks were confirmed by a Magnaflux inspection. The rifle was only used with moderate cast boolet loads. The Boers experenced the same thing and attributed it to short necked cases that jugged up in the space between the end of the case and start of the rifleing.

One that has not been mentioned; Remington rolling block in 7 Mauser. The last time I shot it I had a blast shooting at frozen buffalo chips offhand between 200 & 300 yds.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of different rifles in this caliber. Started out with a friend's Rem RB in the 60s, accurate an fast loading.
    Bought a 95 Chilean that I still have in NRA Excellent condition for $36...pre 68 GCA, shipped it to my door when I was
    17. Back when we were actually free rather than just a BS claim.

Bought a Ruger M77 in 1977, have hunted many places with it killed deer, elk, kudu, gemsbok, blesbok, impala and more
    with it.

Several other milsurps, all good shooters except one VZ24 which I have not fully cleaned the bore, and it may yet start
    to shoot. Got my own Rem RB years later and it shoots well, too. A mild load of 4064 will group 175 JRN Hornadys (no
    longer cataloged!!!!!! - but I have a large stockpile) into 1" at 100 yds if your eyes are up to it.

Great cartridge, kills out of proportion with it's paper ballistics. A friend took her Ruger 77 to Africa with my 175 JRN loads
    and killed all her six animals with one shot each. They were calling her "sniper Granny" by the third animal.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    Well just an update to this thread, I found a Brazilian 1908 DWM chambered in 7 x 57. It's all there, the bolt matches the receiver serial number and the bore doesn't look bad. It had the typical rust under the hand guard but nothing extreme. It is a short rifle with a 22" barrel and the turned down bolt handle but it is not one of the later carbines. It's original and hasn't been cut down. Seems to be a bit unusual for the Brazilian contract rifles.

I'm going to clean it up a bit and start working on a load for it. I'd like to find something in the 140-150 grain weight range that will work with IMR4895.

Boolit Master

I started with a 93 Mauser for my first 7x57 (BIL has it now), then got a FN-made Venezuelan SAFN (FN49) semi auto. Would turn the gas plug 180 degrees around to shut the gas off (grenade feature) and use it as a straight pull so not to chase my brass. When I got the FN it wore a Fajen sporter stock and I go a B Square scope mount and mounted a Leopuld M8 fixed 3x. Just was never in the right spot while deer hunting with it before I sold it. I do have a preWWII Czech BRNO 98 action that I've been wanting to build a 9.3x62 on but might do a 7x57 instead.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned
    Got a small handful of rounds through the Mauser today. With S&B factory cartridges loaded with 173 grain bullets it looks like it's going to be a decent rifle. The trigger is your typical 100 + year old military two stage unit and the sights leave a lot to be desired but everything works.

I've got some choices ahead of me but I think it's going to be a good foundation for the little bit of money I have in it.

Banned
    Anyone have suggestions for 7mm Mauser loads in a 1908 DWM ?